JackM Crime 2013

dex

I went to the library the other day and looking around, I saw some barry eisler books. There were some rain books there but I don't think I'd read them as they were first person. I also saw the abercrombie book ,heroes and didn't pick that up either.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hanging Hill - Mo Hayder then Snuff.

Romance isn't dead,

they've just made a smoothie together, sweet

Edited by dex

Discworld wise, having looked in Snuff , I've read 1 - 24 and 26, 29, 31,34 and No. 39 Snuff.

Edited by dex

Hanging Hill - Mo Hayder, 558 Pages

Even good people do bad things.

The Victim, A tennage girl has been brutally murdered on her way home from school. The cryptic message 'all like her' is crudely written on her body.

The Silence, The dead girl's friends are deeply shocked and upset, but they all refuse to reveal anything about her last movements. Who are they protecting? And what more do they know.

The Fear, Headstrong D I Zoe benedict knows exactly how she wants to work this case. But Zoe's own dark past, if exposed, may jeopardize the search for justice... and destroy her too.

I'm enjoying Hanging Hill and am halfway through, and knowing My Luck it's a One Of, Standalone.

Well I finished it Satuday morning and it was good. It was as good as the jack caffery novels, just a sham it was a one of.

Edited by dex

I went to the library the other day and looking around, I saw some barry eisler books. There were some rain books there but I don't think I'd read them as they were first person. I also saw the abercrombie book ,heroes and didn't pick that up either.

Have you read any Abercrombies dex? His 'First Law' trilogy was very good .. or so says I anyway :blush2: 

Snuff - Terry Pratchett

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a policeman taking a holiday would barely have had time to open his suitcase before he finds a corpse.

Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch is on holiday in the pleasant and innocent countryside, but not for him a mere body in the wardrobe. There are many, many bodies - and an ancient crime more terrible than murder.

He is out of his jurisdiction, out of his depth, out of bacon sandwiches, occasionally snookered and out of his mind. But never out of guile. Where there is crime there must be a finding, there must be a chase, and there must be punishment

They say that in the end all sins are forgiven.

But not quite all...

I am halfway in and Sniff! No mention of snuff. Vimes is investigating Crime in his subtle way. The chase is on, wether or not there's a Suspect or not.

Edited by dex

No I Says, Poppyshake, I haven't. Fantasy wise it's Feist that I've read recently. (In All Honesty) Couldn't resist. ;-)

I'll get round to buying some more of his sooner or later as I have them written down.

Edited by dex

I'm probably going to look into Micheal Dibdin next, I did see some of the tv epidodes of zen. As I picked up the third of the series from work, i've ordered the first two online.

Edited by dex

He Watches, He Waits, He Kills. If you think your safe...think again.
When an unidentified female body is discovered laid out on a slab in an abandoned butcher's shop, the cause of death is unclear. Her body bears no marks; except for the fact that her lips have been carefully stitched shut.
It is only when the full autopsy gets underway at the Los Angeles County morgue that the pathologist reveals the true horror of the situation - a discovery so devastating that detective Robert Hunter of the Los Angeles Special section has to be pulled off a different case to take over the investigation.
But when the inquiry collides with a missing persons' case being investigated by the razor- sharp Whitney Myers, Hunter suspects the killer may be keeping several women hostage. Soon Robert finds himself on the hunt for a murderer with a warped obsession, a stalker for whom love has become hate.

I'm going to read Chris Carter's The Night Stalker next as someone at work has one of his others. I saw it in someone elses thread, but can't remember whose at the moment. tunn 300 Thanks. I started it at 6am and read about 50 pages. tried to get back to sleep. Read another fifty, I'm enjoying iy so far.
It's set in L.A and is being investigated by the cities Police RHD department and an Ex Cop turned Private Eye.

P286/453, Enjoying it so far. I'm on page 338/453 now and unless he really messes the end up then I'll probably have to give him a 4. Because it's set in L.A. I have visions of him bumping into bosch and while they work in totally different departments.

I like the Robert Hunter character and actually he's more like kevin byrne than he is bosch. Can't wait to borrow the next one from work. I will be looking for the rest anyway. my tbr just gets longer.

Edited by dex

I've decided to read The Hypnotist first for the next Read-a-thon. Then What doesn't kill you.

Edited by dex

The Mind's Eye - Hakan Nesser

Teacher Janek Mitter wakes up one morning not remembering who he is. As he stumbles into the bathroom, he sees the body of a beautiful young woman floating dead in his bath. The woman is his wife, Eva, and she has been viciously attacked.

"2nd Paragraph Deleted as I Consider it a Spoiler."

Chief Inspector Van Veeteren becomes convinced that something, or someone, in the dead woman's life has caused the tragic double murder. As he delves further, Eva's tragic story begins to emerge, and Van Veeteren realises that the past never really stops haunting the present...

I appreciate the blurb on the back of a book, but when it gives away the plot that you have to read160/364 pages until it happens I Don't. 297/364. I quite like it and will make sure I don't read the blurb on his next books. (Does someone else write that or is it the author?)

Edited by dex

Typical, I get to work and He's off, Miss Purple has bought tck from W, Whilst I bought it online. B*, just bought the rest on play as I want my own copies, which I've lent to the chap at work, whilst I take part in the readathon and finish the nesser set, which I'm halfway through. I shall probably spread out the reading of the carter set, so that I've got a great book to resort to in case of reading a bad book.

Edited by dex

Without counting the books read in the readathon , I'm on target to beat last years final count of books read.

With it I'm nearly 7 ahead.

dennis lehane and Micheal Connelly to write a joint short story. Having finally found out what dennis writes, I think I'll give this a miss.

someone call chris carter.

I have several and read two of the Eisler books.  I enjoyed them, but first person doesn't bother me.  He is an interesting character.

I'm probably going to look into Micheal Dibdin next, I did see some of the tv epidodes of zen. As I picked up the third of the series from work, i've ordered the first two online.

I have a couple of them in the stack, unread as of the moment.  Look good though.

The Mind's Eye - Hakan Nesser

This looks very interesting, good review!

dennis lehane and Micheal Connelly to write a joint short story. Having finally found out what dennis writes, I think I'll give this a miss.

someone call chris carter.

I've only read Shutter Island by Lehane, and really enjoyed it.  Bought it directly after seeing the film. :)

Edited by pontalba

Without counting the books read in the readathon , I'm on target to beat last years final count of books read.

With it I'm nearly 7 ahead.

Coincidentally I noticed your signature just the other day and was thinking wow you've already beat your last year's total! :) Well done, I wish I could do the same :D

thank you Pontalba and Frankie. :smile:  Yes If you Could delete the text from 'Even During to Is Uncovered' from both mine and pontablas post then people might enjoy the book more. thank you. :doh:

thank you Pontalba and Frankie. :smile:  Yes If you Could delete the text from 'Even During to Is Uncovered' from both mine and pontablas post then people might enjoy the book more. thank you. :doh:

Just deleted most of that quote...left the title only.

Sorry, we just returned home!

Borkmann's Point - Hakan Nesser ,321 pages

Borkmann's rule was hardly a rule; infact, it was more a comment, a landmark for tricky cases... In every investigation, he maintained, ther comes a point beyond which we don't really need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thinking.
Two men are brutally murdered with an axe in the quiet coastal town of Kaalbringen and Chief Inspector Van Veeteren, bored on holiday nearby, is summoned to assist the local authorities. The local police chief, just days away from retirement, is determined to wrap things up before he goes.
But there is no clear link between the victims. Then one of Van Veeteren's colleagues, a brilliant young female detective, goes missing - perhaps she has reached Borkmann's Point before anyone else...

The Mind's Eye was the first book after all, It's just that it was translated third for some reason.

84/321, 217/321.
I enjoyed Borkmann's Point and am liking CI Van Veeteren as a character, I managed to read it quite quickly and will be starting the next one, The Return later. I thought it was well written.

Edited by dex

post-8563-0-06716400-1378250210_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-91833500-1378250253_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-51206300-1378250314_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-47058500-1378250352_thumb.jpgpost-8563-0-50217200-1378250381_thumb.jpgGosh, My local new library is quite tall, Had a picture taken on the 1st balcony and didn't ask on the secret one. What a long way down. Gone to have something to eat.

post-8563-0-67162200-1378249700_thumb.jpg

An interesting fact, The building just behind me was used in the last series of Hustle, when they robbed a bank.

Edited by dex

The Return - Hakan Nesser, 322 pages.

An unmissable hospital appointment is looming for Inspector Van Veeteren, when a corpse is found rolled in a rotting carpet by a young child playing in a local beauty spot. Missing head and limbs, the torso is too badly decomposed for forensic identification - bar one crucial detail...

Circumstantial evidence soon points to a local man, a double murderer who disappeared nine months before, shortly after being released on parole; a local hero, who turned monster after being convicted of killing two women over the span of three decades.

Recuperating after an operation, Van Veeteren is nevertheless directing investigations from his hospital bed, for he is convinced that only the innocence of this new victim can be the motive for murder. But is he on the wrong track completely.

I'm about halfway through, Missing the leadership and presence of V V as the main character for the start of the book. Whilst they do visit him and keep him up to date, It was just strange to have him come and solve it quite quickly, once he left hospital. The time jumps also put me off a bit.

29 pages to go.

I actually quite liked the ending.

Edited by dex