Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Air conditioner? :thud::D It's such a different climate, it's so odd! There you are in New ORleans, probably wearing a nice dress or skirt, and here I am, in my weat pants and woolly socks... :D

:rolol:  I've only worn a skirt twice in the last ten years!  I even got married in slacks.  :D

Well, the temps fluctuate so much here.....it rained today, and was a bit muggy,  It'll cool off for the evenings though.  We even had a couple of nights hovering about a degree below freezing a couple of weeks ago.   BTW, I'm about 45 miles or so north of N.O.  So, we're about 5-10 degrees cooler than down there in the winter, and a bit warmer in the summer, but not as humid, usually.

Re the name stuff in Iceland.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow.  Difficult to believe the government gets in on the giving of names.  :eek:

P.S.  Are Brooke and Ridge still moaning/mooning over each other????? Haven't watched in 4 or 5 years.

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So weird that we would re-name Juliet as Julia.... :shrug: What's Adrian Mole called in Dutch? Over here it's Hadrianus Mole. And that is wack!!! :D

x

That's a pretty interesting name! I looked it up but it looks like he's just called Adrian here. Sorry, was hoping for something more interesting :P.

By the way, speaking of the Netherlands... I read this article a few days ago and I thought it was brilliant :) I like the Dutch way of thinking... :)

x

I didn't know that, that is quite interesting!

I have to show you guys this video ex posted... If you like animals and happy endings to stories, you will love this! :)

x

Awwwww!!

I guess there is no Juliet in Finland/the Netherlands then (is it okay to call the Netherlands Holland?)?

x

Holland originally referred to two out of twelve provinces in the Netherlands (North and South Holland (Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland)). Because centuries ago, those parts were the richest and most important for the economy, people started to call the Netherlands, Holland. These days it's become synonymous with it and both names can be used. Personally I always use 'The Netherlands' because I believe the other provinces (ie. the one in which I live) were and are important too. But really, both names can be used :).

Oh you will not believe :no:

I came home to visit my parents just an hour ago and one of the first things I hear is that somebody broke into the library last night! :o:censored:  Apparently a man had smashed in a window and gone in, and a guard had noticed the broken window and called the police. That's all I know about the story so far.

So weird... What did he want?

I'm totally anti-breaking and entering to a library (or other facilities), but... think if he wanted very desperately to borrow a book. That was Dad's theory :D Hmph.

Strange. :thud: Maybe it was vandalism, rather than theft? :o

Yes, most likely, but they didn't say that he had done anything else... Maybe he was strung out and hopped up on drugs and all the idioms we recently talked about on the other thread, and wanted to get in from the cold, maybe take a wiss or something. :shrug: Who knows!

Holland originally referred to two out of twelve provinces in the Netherlands (North and South Holland (Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland)). Because centuries ago, those parts were the richest and most important for the economy, people started to call the Netherlands, Holland. These days it's become synonymous with it and both names can be used. Personally I always use 'The Netherlands' because I believe the other provinces (ie. the one in which I live) were and are important too. But really, both names can be used :)

Thanks for the explanation.  :)  I usually (if not always) say Netherlands rather than Holland. 

Oh you will not believe :no:

I came home to visit my parents just an hour ago and one of the first things I hear is that somebody broke into the library last night! :o:censored:  Apparently a man had smashed in a window and gone in, and a guard had noticed the broken window and called the police. That's all I know about the story so far.

I'm totally anti-breaking and entering to a library (or other facilities), but... think if he wanted very desperately to borrow a book. That was Dad's theory :D Hmph.

That's terrible.  I could see someone doing that here.  Our library has quite a few computers in it, so someone might break in to get those.  Now I think about it, it's kind of surprising no ones tried before.  Our schools are constantly getting broken into and their computer equipment stolen. My daughters school was broken into three times in three months. :censored:

Yep, I was actually quite surprised to hear it was a banker :) No offence to BCF's bankers... :D

I know you said no offence, but are you forgetting I worked at a bank for 12 years?! :P

:rolol:  I've only worn a skirt twice in the last ten years!  I even got married in slacks.  :D

You're my kind of woman, Pontalba. :D

P.S.  Are Brooke and Ridge still moaning/mooning over each other????? Haven't watched in 4 or 5 years.

Goodness me, no! She has moved onto her sister's husband. :negative: Ridge left the show a while ago. (And yes, I'm embarrassed that I know all of this. :lurker:)

Frankie, open your present! I wanna know what it is!

Oh yes - you should really do that! :D  :exc:

It would be interesting... But I wouldn't know who to contact... But then again, I could ask someone who might know... Something to think about :D

Brixton from my names above is a place-name - it's in London and is (rather sadly) associated with riots.

Yeah I had this idea Brixton was a place-name and that's why I started talking about people naming their kids after parts of town... I know some celeb named their kid Brooklyn, for example.

I wouldn't like to be given a list really - although if we had a list, both of my children's names would almost certainly be on it!  :D

I wouldn't like to be given a list either. I've started my own list :giggle::blush: Yep, your kids have rather usual names, but that's not the point. We want to have our options open! :D

We are alike.... :D Although I think skirts must be a lot more comfortable during summer heatwaves...

Well, the temps fluctuate so much here.....it rained today, and was a bit muggy,  It'll cool off for the evenings though.  We even had a couple of nights hovering about a degree below freezing a couple of weeks ago.   BTW, I'm about 45 miles or so north of N.O.  So, we're about 5-10 degrees cooler than down there in the winter, and a bit warmer in the summer, but not as humid, usually.

How much can the temps fluctuate during a 24 hour period?

Re the name stuff in Iceland.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Wow.  Difficult to believe the government gets in on the giving of names.  :eek:

I know! And I think this wouldn't go down very well especially in the States... I think you guys are rather innovative when it comes to thinking of new names... Going by some of the reality TV shows I've seen over the years :)

I wouldn't know! Thank god we have our very own Bold and Beautiful expert, Kylie :D

That's terrible.  I could see someone doing that here.  Our library has quite a few computers in it, so someone might break in to get those.  Now I think about it, it's kind of surprising no ones tried before.  Our schools are constantly getting broken into and their computer equipment stolen. My daughters school was broken into three times in three months. :censored:

Oh yes, the computers! I didn't think of that... Three times in three months?? Nothing is sacred anymore :(

I know you said no offence, but are you forgetting I worked at a bank for 12 years?! :P

But were you a banker? I think not :D

Goodness me, no! She has moved onto her sister's husband. :negative: Ridge left the show a while ago. (And yes, I'm embarrassed that I know all of this. :lurker:)

:lol:

Frankie, open your present! I wanna know what it is!

I wanna know what it is, too, but .... I wanna be a good girl!!

If your package says fragile I would suggest you open it now.. ;):)

:D It also said 'do not bend'... What if it was a typo and Santa had meant to write 'do not open until Christmas' :o

:yes:  Chaliepud is wise. Listen to Chaliepud. (And me.)

:D Well I can't open it now, I'm in Nurmes. It will have to stay a mystery at least for the next 5 days, me thinks!

:D It also said 'do not bend'... What if it was a typo and Santa had meant to write 'do not open until Christmas' :o

I can say, with great certainty that you MUST open it when you return home. You will be very disappointed if not.. I may have insider knowledge of this. ;):)

But were you a banker? I think not :D

Well, I wasn't a bank-teller, but I think working at a bank makes me a banker. :P

But you've never been a good girl before, so why start now? :P

(You so set yourself up for that!)

Santa is perfect! He/she would never make a typo. In conclusion...open it! (I'm going to nag you every day until you do - even the days when you're in Nurmes :P).

x

:o wow, I've never heard of such a thing happening! Do you know if they found the person who did it?

Thanks for the explanation.  :)  I usually (if not always) say Netherlands rather than Holland.

x

You're welcome :)!

x  

x

Wow! That's not nice at all :(!

@ the mysterious package

I think you should open it when you get back from Nurmes! :)

So I came to visit my parents in my home-home town yesterday and oh boy, where do I start!

My Dad's parents' story is a long one, so I'm only offering a short version: Dad's Mum died when Dad was only 1,5 years old, so naturally he doesn't remember her. Grandpa re-married rather soon after that, and Dad's step-Mum is still alive (Granps died in 1997).

I've always been very curious about my Dad's real Mum, but I've never known much about her. Her name, and where she is buried. When I visit the local cemetary, I always go and visit her grave. But it's been kind of sad, not knowing anything about her. I've sometimes asked questions but maybe Dad hasn't known the answers himself. And I believe it's also a difficult subject matter for him.

Anyhow, my Dad's cousin is very keen on the family history and he's done loads of research, and in the last few years he's e-mailed his discoveries to Dad and other relatives who are interested in the family history. It's been all interesting, but so far it's been mostly about people I don't know that well. Yesterday, however, Dad had something pretty spectacular to show me!

His cousin had found loads of family pictures, and he'd sent copies and some originals to Dad. And for the first time ever, I saw a picture of my Dad's Mum! I've always been so curious about her, and it's been a bit painful knowing so little about her... The picture was my Grandpa and Grandma's wedding picture, at that! Grandpa was very handsome, in his soldier's uniform, and Grandma was so beautiful! I could see Dad in her features..

But it doesn't end here: There are loads of other pictures to go through, of the family and relatives and the houses they lived in.

But this is ... mind blowing! Dad had also received photocopies of Grandma's letters to her sister... !! Some of the ink's gone, and the handwriting is at times hard to decipher, but I've been able to read some... And some of it was difficult to read, because it was Grandma writing to her sister about how their poor brother had died :( I was crying my eyes out when I was reading it upstairs in my room last night :(

It's been a very emotional trip so far, to say the least!

Aw. :(  :empathy:

That sounds like very emotional reading (and viewing) for sure. I'm glad you have been able to learn a bit about your Dad's mum though. And it must be lovely to see a pic of your grandma, and in her wedding gown no less!  :empathy:

Oh, frankie!  That is so absolutely, over the top, wonderful.  I'm so happy you are able to enjoy seeing and reading about your grandmother!  To have a base like that, to be able to read her words, no matter how unhappy some of those words are is beyond amazing.  It roots a person to be able to understand their heritage.  And really, those unhappy words are possibly more revealing of her entire personality than any happy snippets would be. This is a memorable visit for you, why don't you write down, in a notebook, your experiences on this visit?  As chalie mentions, electronic stuff is sort of "in the air", so a paper trail would be sweet to be able to look back on in years to come.

Oh, regarding summer and skirts.....in the summer I wear Flax, it's a brand of linen that is very loose, airy and comfortable.  Lots of beiges and whites. :)

I can say, with great certainty that you MUST open it when you return home. You will be very disappointed if not.. I may have insider knowledge of this. ;):)

Sounds good to me!  Open the package Sari!! :D 

p.s.  I have no insider knowledge, however..........logic dictates!!  :P 

Frankie that's so lovely that your relative was able to find all those letters from your grandmother  :smile:A friend of mine helped clear out her grandmother's house when she went into a care home suffering from dementia, she found a lacy nightgown & bundle of letters tied up with ribbon, they were love letters from her grandfather. I thought it was lovely that she got to see a side of her grandparents that she probably would never have known from those findings.

Sorry, I missed this earlier.....

How much can the temps fluctuate during a 24 hour period?

I've seen it drop 30 degrees, easily.  Even 40 when a front comes through.  Fortunately, we are just a tad below where the REAL cold fronts are.  They ordinarily come off the Northwest coast of the U.S. and sort of swoop almost down to us.  Now, when a Canadian front actually makes it through to the area, we're in trouble!  That is when it can dip dramatically.  I've seen it in the 80F one day and the next day a front comes through and it'll be below freezing (32F) that night. Depends on the timing of the front.