Frankie reads 2013

frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay! What fantastic news!! It looks like a lovely shop - a lot of effort has clearly been put into it. So when are you going back to Nurmes? :D Do you think there will definitely be English books there? What is the name of the bookshop when roughly translated?

Aw, what an adorable owl! And what a lovely guy to help the owl. I love good news stories like that. :)

Thanks everyone for your comments on the owl story and the book shop news! :smile2: The owl has actually made it quite big, I read in the news today that Daily Mail had picked up the story :D Okay, so which one of you alerted the media? :D

Daily Mail seems to be a Finn buff, what with the Narnia comments about Karelia, and now the owl story :D

Awwwww, what a wonderful story.  I wish there'd been pictures of the owl in his house.....but those pics are wonderful.  Lucky owl, nice guy. :)

I know, I would've wished that the man had taken more pics! But I guess he was respecting the owl's privacy. Good man :)

The book shop is really beautiful, isn't it? :smile2: I thought it was going to be an independent shop, which is quite unheard of over here, but then I checked the website again and noticed that it's part of a book shop chain called Kipa. I've never heard of that chain before :shrug: I took a look at the Kipa site and it seems that they mostly have stores in the medium or smaller sized towns. Not the capital, I'm sure they would never make it with the bigger chain stores.

It would be great it if was an indie store, but that just doesn't happen in Finland. But I'm so so happy that it's a smaller chain, fighting against the big ones that will always survive :) Although I read somewhere that the lady of the shop is an entrepreneur, so I think it's not the usual kind of chain store. She has her life invested in it. All the more important that we support the local business! :)

Yay! What fantastic news!! It looks like a lovely shop - a lot of effort has clearly been put into it. So when are you going back to Nurmes? :D Do you think there will definitely be English books there? What is the name of the bookshop when roughly translated?

When I heard about it, I was like, get me outta here, I want to go to Nurmes! :D I've been meaning to go for a long time now, but my flu is preventing me from going :(

I don't think they will have original English books there, no :) Luckily I have a few Finnish books I've been wanting to buy for a while now, so I could buy those from the new store :) They will also have maybe notebooks and paper and postcards and such like. I think I'm going to suggest to her that she get bookmarks, and magnetic ones at that! Or maybe that would be too arrogant... Hm.

I'm glad you asked about the bookshop's name over here and not on FB, because I've been racking my brain over it :D

This is going to be another Finnish lesson, are you ready? :blush:

Sananhelinä = a compound word made of 'sana' = 'word' and 'helinä' = the sound of something moving, this has different English words for different things. Glass would clink, windows would rattle, coins would chink and bells would jingle. All those verbs can be translated to one Finnish word, 'helinä' (the noun. Verb would be 'helistä').

This is where it gets interesting: Sanahelinä (without the 'n' in between, which is the possessive suffix in Finnish, 'word's') means a lot of talk, that might sound great, but doesn't really mean or come to anything. Like, all talk (no walk).

But 'sananhelinä' is a compound word that doesn't really exist in Finnish, and one would write those words separately in Finnish. So I guess it's 'word jingle' , and a play on being the real thing, as opposed to 'sanahelinä', 'all talk'. :)

I will have to ask the lady where she came up with the name, don't I? :D I'll also tell her how I had to translate the name into English and how it really made me think how clever a name it was :smile2:

The Faulks sounds very interesting.  I think I have one of the Butcher books, haven't read it yet. 

It sounds really interesting, doesn't it :) I haven't read any of the Butcher books but I think they should be read in order...? This is just my intuition, I don't know for sure. The first book in the series is Storm Front.

Edited by frankie

I checked out the Daily Mail story on the owl, but it left out my favourite part of the story, which is that the owl moved to the man and into his jacket! :)

Thanks for the language lesson. :D I find the Finnish language so daunting to learn (not least because I can't roll my 'R's!). :( You are such a clever girl to know so many languages!

I'm sure the owner of the bookshop would be glad (and maybe surprised) to know that so many foreigners are taking an interest in her shop! :) It wouldn't be arrogant to suggest bookmarks at all! They would go very well with the stationery.

I checked out the Daily Mail story on the owl, but it left out my favourite part of the story, which is that the owl moved to the man and into his jacket! :)

:o Why did they leave that out? It was one of the best parts :( Tut, tut, Daily Mail!

:D

Thanks for the language lesson. :D I find the Finnish language so daunting to learn (not least because I can't roll my 'R's!). :( You are such a clever girl to know so many languages!

You roll your R's just fine :P:lol:

Yes, I'm so clever for knowing Finnish... It being such a difficult language... :D

I'm sure the owner of the bookshop would be glad (and maybe surprised) to know that so many foreigners are taking an interest in her shop! :) It wouldn't be arrogant to suggest bookmarks at all! They would go very well with the stationery.

I bet she'd be quite shocked but thrilled :D

I actually sent her a message via the bookshop's website, just saying that it's about time Nurmes had a decent bookshop again, and that I wanted to wish her good luck, success and happiness, and that I couldn't wait to visit the shop myself :)

She'd replied today! She thanked me for the PM and wishing her luck, and yes, it's been a long time since we had a bookshop in Nurmes. She also said that the customers have been very happy and the bookshop has been received very well and that it's been amazing to work with books and people for the last couple of weeks. She also welcomed me to visit whenever I'm in the neighborhood :)

The new bookshop looks gorgeous! :boogie: And I love the story of the owl (and the pics). :D

I love stories where different species come together and help each other out :)

Like this little fella who was thirsty! Yep, koalas get thirsty, too!

The Kindest Thing

by Cath Staincliffe

8271866.jpg

Blurb: What would you do?

When Deborah reluctantly helps her beloved husband, Neil, end his life and conceals the truth, she is charged with his murder. As the trial unfolds and her daughter Sophie testifies against her, Deborah, still reeling from grief, fights to defend her actions. Twelve jurors hold her fate in their hands – and if found guilty she will serve a life sentence. But is the assisted suicide of a person you love murder?

Thoughts: I became interested in this book when I read Star's great review on it. And chaliepud provided me with a copy, as part of a book swap. Thanks chalie! :):flowers2:

I think this might be the first book I've read on the subject of euthanasia. A very tricky thing, to say the least. It had been a while since I'd added the book on my wishlist, so I'd forgotten some of the most vital things... More specifically, I didn't realize there weren't any twists to be had, but the book was, more or less, a depiction of what happened in the couple's personal life and what happened after the 'deed'. For some reason I had expected there to be something extra... My very own fault, not the book's :)

I think the book was well written as such. The author dealt with all the different emotions beautifully. And I did enjoy reading about how the legal system and the works. I think it was rather realistic, and not in any way glossed over or magnified.

And there was a twist, after all. Not the kind of ultimate twist I had been waiting for, but a great twist at that!

3/5

The Kindest Thing sounds interesting, Frankie :) 

Having watched my Grandma suffer throughout the last 12 months of her life, and more drastically the last week when the hospital basically refused to give her food/fluids so she essentially starved to death, I do wonder why we can't treat people with more dignity. It would have been very hard, but oh so much kinder, to end her suffering 12 months prior. :(

Having watched my Grandma suffer throughout the last 12 months of her life, and more drastically the last week when the hospital basically refused to give her food/fluids so she essentially starved to death, I do wonder why we can't treat people with more dignity. It would have been very hard, but oh so much kinder, to end her suffering 12 months prior. :(

Alexi, what the hospital did sounds suspiciously like what is called in UK the "Liverpool care package".  It is becoming increasingly common. They often do it without consulting the relatives. They wanted to do it to my mother  (who was dying slowly but was not in any pain) but we (the family) went up the wall and complained.  We were outraged. They then said that we had to take her out of the hospital , basically what it boiled down to was that she was not going to die on time and they needed the bed . We had to move her to a private nursing home where she died peacefully in her own time 4 months later.

I'm so sorry to hear that :empathy:  I can't believe they basically starved her to death :( One would think that any dying person would have their basic civil rights AS WELL AS some extra TLC!! It's unbelievable how we treat our elderly :(

Alexi, what the hospital did sounds suspiciously like what is called in UK the "Liverpool care package".  It is becoming increasingly common. They often do it without consulting the relatives. They wanted to do it to my mother  (who was dying slowly but was not in any pain) but we (the family) went up the wall and complained.  We were outraged. They then said that we had to take her out of the hospital , basically what it boiled down to was that she was not going to die on time and they needed the bed . We had to move her to a private nursing home where she died peacefully in her own time 4 months later.

Unbelievable :(:empathy:  It's such a shame that it all boils down to money in the end. Everyone deserves a peaceful, dignified way to go!

Changing the topic somewhat drastically... This is it not book related, but I have to ramble a bit somewhere...

I'm getting rather nervous about tonight. We have this radio show host coming to play at a local bar tonight, and I'm going. He is the host of this very popular 90s music show, which I listen to every Friday. He was here on Mayday's Eve this year and I went, and I had a blast! :)

What's making me nervous this time: I have no friends to go with! And I'm on antibiotics, so I can't have a few for encouragement... :blush: I know one pal of mine is coming but I don't know when, he's going with some friend of his.

What's more, is that the show has a fan group on Facebook, and it's a really nice group of people, we post youtube videos of our favorite songs there, talk about the TV shows we loved the best in the 90s, and what we miss from that period...

Last summer I started a thread on there to ask if people would like to meet other people from the group. If we could organize local parties. The one I tried to organize fell through, and I was sick when the Joensuu group had their meeting, so some people have already met each other, and I haven't met any of them. This week I started another thread to ask who was going to tonight's gig, and there are about  dozen people who've responded... So I'm going to meet them at the gig.

The thing is, I'm a bit shy with strangers and even more so if others are hammered and I'm sober :D:blush: I know they are nice people, we have great convos on the FB group, but I don't know... On top of it, I'm going to wear this really silly 90s T-shirt (it says Yo! Casio Rapman on the front) and my pink 90s cap, so I'll look like an idiot to begin with... :D

Edited by frankie

Frankie

You have several different solutions :

1- stay home and miss the fun . :(

2-Go meet up with the online friends  ,and if they are Snockered or whatever word you used, then you will be at an advantage. They will be only "half-here" ,due to the amount of drink they had, so they won't be with it anyhow .. so you will be the one most in control mentally .

3- Wear ordinary clothes so you don't stand out in the crowd, if you will feel uncomfortable in the other items you were gonna wear .

4- Take my attitude and just walk in, start talking and "work the crowd " . Doesn't sound like the right wording ,does it ?

Just go in and start talking. Target someone who has a really kind face and pretty soon, you'll be pulling up a chair and fitting right in .

Let us know which one you pick !  It'll all be ok, I'm sure !

:I-Agree: 

My Aunt used to be the designated driver as she didn't drink, so when she and her friends went out she was the sober one.  She always said she had more fun than anyone, as she could watch the others and their silly antics.  Great entertainment!  :giggle2:

You'll have a great time I'm sure frankie .. everybody will be there to have fun and no-ones going to worry about who's wearing what. Thinking about walking into these situations is a lot worse than actually doing it .. once you're there and settled you'll be fine. I'm well jel actually .. wish I could go with you :blush2: 

Have a blast! :friends0: (oh and take pics .. or get someone else to .. I'd love to see your 90's pink hat :wub:)

Frankie

You have several different solutions :

1- stay home and miss the fun . :(

That was never an option :)

2-Go meet up with the online friends  ,and if they are Snockered or whatever word you used, then you will be at an advantage. They will be only "half-here" ,due to the amount of drink they had, so they won't be with it anyhow .. so you will be the one most in control mentally .

That's what I worry the most :D That I'm so in control that I can't let loose :blush:

4- Take my attitude and just walk in, start talking and "work the crowd " . Doesn't sound like the right wording ,does it ?

Just go in and start talking. Target someone who has a really kind face and pretty soon, you'll be pulling up a chair and fitting right in .

I'll try and remember that, thanks :friends3:  People are there to have fun, not to give me a miserable time :D

:I-Agree: 

My Aunt used to be the designated driver as she didn't drink, so when she and her friends went out she was the sober one.  She always said she had more fun than anyone, as she could watch the others and their silly antics.  Great entertainment!  :giggle2:

:D Unless they start going over the same thing time and a time again... :D

You'll have a great time I'm sure frankie .. everybody will be there to have fun and no-ones going to worry about who's wearing what. Thinking about walking into these situations is a lot worse than actually doing it .. once you're there and settled you'll be fine.

I know this about myself: I'm always anxious beforehand, and don't want to go, and think I'm stupid for having agreed to go somewhere. And when I'm there, I usually end up having a good time. It's the same thing everytime :D So annoying.

I'm well jel actually .. wish I could go with you :blush2: 

I wish you could come! Maybe we'll have our own 90s party when I come and visit :D:friends3:

Have a blast! :friends0: (oh and take pics .. or get someone else to .. I'd love to see your 90's pink hat :wub:)

:lol: Kay? Have you seen my prof pic on FB? What am I wearing in that pic?

:giggle2::D

I wish you could come! Maybe we'll have our own 90s party when I come and visit :D:friends3:

Yay!! :yahoo: and an 80's party and a 70's (don't worry .. I can teach you all you need to know in five mins :D)

:lol: Kay? Have you seen my prof pic on FB? What am I wearing in that pic?

:giggle2::D

Oh man :giggle: Now for some reason I always have your GR profile pic in mind .. where you have flowers in your hair  :smile: Your pink hat is awesomely pink .. they'll love it for sure :smile: (I couldn't even tell you what my profile pic on fb is :giggle: .. I just looked it up :giggle: .. I'm eating a bun :D .. I should've remembered that :blush2:)

Yay!! :yahoo: and an 80's party and a 70's (don't worry .. I can teach you all you need to know in five mins :D)

Yes please!!! :D I don't know much about 70s music, but I know the moves, oh yes :lol: We'll dance our asses off!

Oh man :giggle: Now for some reason I always have your GR profile pic in mind .. where you have flowers in your hair  :smile: 

It was rather priceless when I read you wanted to see the pink hat... :D

Your pink hat is awesomely pink .. they'll love it for sure :smile: (I couldn't even tell you what my profile pic on fb is :giggle: .. I just looked it up :giggle: .. I'm eating a bun :D .. I should've remembered that :blush2:)

They love the hat already... Funny things :D

How can you not remember what your prof pic is?! :D