Frankie reads 2013

frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow frankie, you have had an emotional time recently!  :hug: . Have fun with the advent calendar :D

Yes, I've been a bit all over the place recently, what with the discoverings .... But it's all good, it's great stuff to know!

I'm still in awe of the calender :D I didn't even know they made such calenders!! :D I'm not a real chocoholic, but I always want an advent calender, and I need a bit of choccy now and then... And the frankie bar I ate was fabulous :giggle: And the snowman... There are two more extra snowmen, and now I'm wondering if I ought to eat them already... :giggle:

Edit: I just ate another extra snowman... :giggle: ... I love white chocolate :blush:

The Finnish advent calenders (we call them Christmas calenders) never have any extra choccy... Only the 24 for each day. But this calender had 'frankie' as extra choccy and three (!) extray choccy snowmen to eat... That will take me through to tomorrow when I can open the first ... thingy. What do you call them? Windows?

Edited by frankie

I'm still in awe of the calender :D I didn't even know they made such calenders!! :D I'm not a real chocoholic, but I always want an advent calender, and I need a bit of choccy now and then... And the frankie bar I ate was fabulous :giggle: And the snowman... There are two more extra snowmen, and now I'm wondering if I ought to eat them already... :giggle:

:giggle2: 

Ah, in my day we never had chocolates in advent calendars, just pictures behind the days. One selection box of chocolate bars for Xmas was so exciting though!  :D

Ah, in my day we never had chocolates in advent calendars, just pictures behind the days. One selection box of chocolate bars for Xmas was so exciting though!  :D

:D Well we still have calenders like that, but I'm afraid the kiddies these days like their choccy choices... :giggle: I don't know what to make of 'in your day' because I've always thought you are my age :D Young and fabulous :cool:

:D Well we still have calenders like that, but I'm afraid the kiddies these days like their choccy choices... :giggle: I don't know what to make of 'in your day' because I've always thought you are my age :D Young and fabulous :cool:

Tee hee, those were the days *sign*.... I think I'm a bit of an oldster (48) compared to you  :D  :blush2: . You know you are getting older when Belle and Sebastian were a French TV kids programme in the 70s, not a Scottish pop band of the 90s  :giggle2:  

Tee hee, those were the days *sign*.... I think I'm a bit of an oldster (48) compared to you  :D  :blush2: . You know you are getting older when Belle and Sebastian were a French TV kids programme in the 70s, not a Scottish pop band of the 90s  :giggle2:  

Well if it's any consolation, I never would've figured you for a 48yo! I always thought you were my own age :smile2::yes: Belle and Sebastian... Unfortunately that's only a name for me, and not even as a French kiddies TV program or a pop band, it only reminds me of Sin with Sebastian the artist/band from 90s :lol:

I'm so out of date with current music scenes  :blush2: . I'm serious, I haven't followed any since the  early 90s.  :giggle2: .

That's part of the fun of the forums, people can't guess ages that closely!  :smile: Plus, I have a quirky way of thinking about the life, the world and everything, so I find a lot of women of my age a bit scary! 

Edited by Marie H

I'm so out of date with current music scenes  :blush2: . I'm serious, I haven't followed any since the  early 90s.  :giggle2:

I cannot and will not hold that against you! Music is so subjective, one listens to what one wants to listen to :yes:

That's part of the fun of the forums, people can't guess ages that closely!  :smile: Plus, I have a quirky way of thinking about the life, the world and everything, so I find a lot of women of my age a bit scary! 

:D I guess it's to do with feeling as young as your mind feels like, and not going by the numbers. I think that's the only sensible way to go ;):cool:

Okay okay, I've been extremely naughty :blush:

I opened the other Secret Santa package that came my way, and oh, it's a doggy book :wub: It's War Dog by Damien Lewis. It tells the story of a German Shepherd pup and an army man who cross paths during the time of war and what happens then. Ohhhhh :wub: There's something extra special about people who rescue doggies from war zones... And this is where I fear my English fails!

You guys know how much I love dogs. I love watching youtube vids of dogs. And I have a soft spot for vids where soldiers come back home and are reunited with their dogs. And what would be more heart warming than seeing soldiers rescue doggies from war zones... It's such a heart warming sight. I think it's one of the clearest signs of humanity. :smile2:

Thank you Secret Santa! :flowers2: 

Enjoy the advent calendar Frankie.

Reading about your family is interesting.  My grandmother recently gave me a book about our family that someone put together. I didn't know much about that side of the family as it's my mothers side and my parents are divorced, and I mostly lived with my dad.  Turns out my great grandparents married less than a month before my grandmother was born, and one of my great great aunts and uncles (she only passed away 3 years ago!) married when their youngest child, of 8, was about a year old!  They were from a very very small town, less than 100 people, so there must have been scandal, but having known that aunt I could see her telling people to butt out of her life.  I also found out that that side of the family is from England, and now I even know the name of the ship they came to NZ on.  It cost them 14 pounds per adult in the late 1800s!!  

:D I guess it's to do with feeling as young as your mind feels like, and not going by the numbers. I think that's the only sensible way to go ;):cool:

That's very true :smile: . My Dad always said that you never feel any older (as your character) than 21, and I have to agree too  :D .

Aaw, I hope you have hours of fun with your doggie book! :smile2:

My Mum sent me a 'proper' Advent calendar this year! My children have chocolate ones (of course!) and this year I've bought hubster one too! I'm nearly the same age as you, Marie. Belle and Sebastian... ah, those long hot summer holidays! :D

I'm nearly the same age as you, Marie. Belle and Sebastian... ah, those long hot summer holidays! :D

Oh, Janet, you are so right! :yes:  Belle and Sebastian, and White Horses too, were so wonderful. I can still remember the theme tunes! :giggle: I'm still getting a warm glow thinking about those long, hot summer holidays. :smile2:

Okay okay, I've been extremely naughty :blush:

I opened the other Secret Santa package that came my way, and oh, it's a doggy book :wub: It's War Dog by Damien Lewis. It tells the story of a German Shepherd pup and an army man who cross paths during the time of war and what happens then. Ohhhhh :wub: There's something extra special about people who rescue doggies from war zones... And this is where I fear my English fails!

You guys know how much I love dogs. I love watching youtube vids of dogs. And I have a soft spot for vids where soldiers come back home and are reunited with their dogs. And what would be more heart warming than seeing soldiers rescue doggies from war zones... It's such a heart warming sight. I think it's one of the clearest signs of humanity. :smile2:

Thank you Secret Santa! :flowers2:

My favorite dogs!  Absolute favorite!!

Hi Frankie!

I've been spending the last couple hours plowing through the many threads I've missed since last being online here, and I can see that I've missed a lot.  Especially where Frankie is concerned!  Unfortunately I'm getting very tired so have to call it quits for the night, but wanted to drop you a quick note to say Hi.  I will be back to catch up on what I've missed...from the few pages on your thread, it sounds very intriguing.  In the meantime, here's a :friends3:for you!

Enjoy the advent calendar Frankie.

Reading about your family is interesting.  My grandmother recently gave me a book about our family that someone put together. I didn't know much about that side of the family as it's my mothers side and my parents are divorced, and I mostly lived with my dad.  Turns out my great grandparents married less than a month before my grandmother was born, and one of my great great aunts and uncles (she only passed away 3 years ago!) married when their youngest child, of 8, was about a year old!  They were from a very very small town, less than 100 people, so there must have been scandal, but having known that aunt I could see her telling people to butt out of her life.  I also found out that that side of the family is from England, and now I even know the name of the ship they came to NZ on.  It cost them 14 pounds per adult in the late 1800s!!  

That's such a special gift! Wow :friends3:   To learn about all the relatives you knew basically nothing about... And ooooh, shotgun weddings and all, mighty scandalous!! :lol: Very cool :cool: I applaud people who tell others to butt out :yes: It must be really exciting knowing where you've come from. It's not the most unusual story, is it. Finnish people are so homogenous... Well at least they used to be. We now have more immigrants and their offspring so we are establishing a bit of a melting pot ourselves :)

That's very true :smile: . My Dad always said that you never feel any older (as your character) than 21, and I have to agree too  :D .

I was going through old pictures of myself and friends last night.. And I thought wow, I've been young and happy, haven't I... I've been dreading my upcoming Bday for a long time, thinking turning 33 is horrid, but then I do the math again and think 'oh yeahhh, I'm only going to turn 32, I'm only 31 now...' :lol: And somehow it's easier.

Which reminds me, I'm going home to Nurmes for my Birthday, which is something I haven't done in a decade... But I have two close friends who are coincidentally living there this December, so I'll get to spend my Bday with them :smile2: For the first time in years I know I'll have a good time!

Aaw, I hope you have hours of fun with your doggie book! :smile2:

Thank you, I have a feeling I shall! :)

My Mum sent me a 'proper' Advent calendar this year! My children have chocolate ones (of course!) and this year I've bought hubster one too! I'm nearly the same age as you, Marie. Belle and Sebastian... ah, those long hot summer holidays! :D

I saw a picture of that on FB, what a beautiful calendar! Your Mum rules :)

Enjoy your calendar, frankie :)! You've been through a lot lately so I'd say you definitely deserve some chocolate :yes:. I hope you enjoy the doggy book too :).

Oh yeah, the chocolate was needed! :blush:

But... And this is quite horrid... I kinda ate all the choccies on Sunday :blush::giggle2: I couldn't resist!!! I think I was possessed by a demon or something... Chalie, I'm so embarrassed!!! :blush: :blush:

My favorite dogs!  Absolute favorite!!

Do you mean German Shepherds or war doggies? I used to be scared of German shepherds, I think because one bit me when I was a kid... But I somehow grew out of it in my teens. I think German shepherds are beautiful, amazing doggies :smile2

Hi Frankie!

I've been spending the last couple hours plowing through the many threads I've missed since last being online here, and I can see that I've missed a lot.  Especially where Frankie is concerned!  Unfortunately I'm getting very tired so have to call it quits for the night, but wanted to drop you a quick note to say Hi.  I will be back to catch up on what I've missed...from the few pages on your thread, it sounds very intriguing.  In the meantime, here's a :friends3:for you!

Oh wordsgood... It's incredible how much goes on here, if you spend more than a few days away... :giggle: And welcome back, and hi! :D:friends3:   I fear that recently I've been talking about non-book related things, and I ought to get back on track.... :giggle:

Few bits of news:

Remember how I told you guys someone had broken and entered into my home town's library? Well, I went for a coffee with a Joensuu friend today, and he happens to be a guard, and he had some inside info! The same security firm my friend works for has guards in my home town, and it was one of his guard buddies who came to the scene, noticed the broken window and called the cops. The cops went in and found the perp in the toilet... But either the guard didn't say or didn't know why he was there. But apparently he was an 'old friend' of the cops. But that's all my friend knew about it :shrug: Particularly peculiar? Oh I would think so!

And the new bookstore... Well, Mum and I went for a peep last Thursday. It was quaint, but rather small... But I guess I should've figured it wasn't going to be anything big. The paper and office supplies and calendars and cards section was as big as the books section, and so there weren't all that many books, which was kind of disappointing... I feel awful saying that. I know that there probably just isn't enough business in my home town to have a bigger store with more books. All the books on the general shelves were hardbacks, there was only one shelf that was dedicated to paperbacks.

The great thing about it was that there was a shelf for used books! :) That was a nice surprise. I'd thought earlier that I might ask if the owner had thought about it, but she'd beat me to it :D I think I shall take used and read books to her in the future if I have any...

I personally prefer paperbacks and I try to read as much as possible in English, so there wasn't really anything for me, but Mum and I both bought calenders.

I also took out a bag full of books to Nurmes, to store in my room... I've told you guys about how I would love to move to another city, and so I've started getting rid of stuff I don't need anymore, and the books I took with me were books I'm not sure if I want to read in the future, books I'm not sure I'd take with me to a new city...

I applied for a council flat in Lahti last Saturday. Keep your fingers crossed that I will hear from them soon and will get to move to Lahti soon enough! :smile2:

I was going through old pictures of myself and friends last night.. And I thought wow, I've been young and happy, haven't I... I've been dreading my upcoming Bday for a long time, thinking turning 33 is horrid, but then I do the math again and think 'oh yeahhh, I'm only going to turn 32, I'm only 31 now...' :lol: And somehow it's easier.

:rolol: Now, having to work out the math in your head, to remember your age is a classic symptom of maturity  :giggle2: !

It still surprises me that I am 48, I still feel as when I was in my early 30's. I thought turning 40 could be awful, but nothing did happen. Just enjoy you life frankie, and have fun with your birthday, or any day for that matter :friends3:

:rolol: Now, having to work out the math in your head, to remember your age is a classic symptom of maturity  :giggle2: !

:D I don't like the sound of that kind of maturity.... :lol:

It still surprises me that I am 48, I still feel as when I was in my early 30's. I thought turning 40 could be awful, but nothing did happen. Just enjoy you life frankie, and have fun with your birthday, or any day for that matter :friends3:

You're as fresh as a summer's day! :friends3:  Just like the rest of us :yes: I was actually not at all afraid of turning 30, I'd heard of amazing things happening to women in their 30s... I'm still waiting :lol: Yeah, us girls need to have a bit of fun, for sure!!

Oh I wish I could watch the movie...! I have to find the DVD somewhere! :smile2:

Don't worry, I'm 63, and feel as though I'm still 20. :D  But with a LOT more sense. heh Well, mostly! :P

Don't worry, I'm 63, and feel as though I'm still 20. :D  But with a LOT more sense. heh Well, mostly! :P

And you are the proof it's only getting better from now on :D I'm waiting for the sense part to kick in in the somewhat near future :D

And you are the proof it's only getting better from now on :D I'm waiting for the sense part to kick in in the somewhat near future :D

:blush2:  :rolol:

Unfortunately, lots of crap has to happen to pound that sense in, so I recommend learn by watching, not screwing up.  If only! /sigh/ :tease: