Frankie reads 2013

frankie

Ooh .. that's brilliant .. thanks for sharing frankie :) I'm particularly relating to number's 1, 3, 4, 14, 16 & 17 :yes: 

You are welcome, poppyshake! Hey it's like a personal lottery number system... :D

I agree with you on number 1, most wholeheartedly :yes: I would also say I'm number 2, because I hate it when that happens. However, nowadays, me being single, I don't have anyone to interrupt my reading :blush: I do remember when ex interrupted me a few times, I was quite livid :D

Number 3 sounds very apt, too, but personally I don't watch a lot of movies... So I guess I can't count that one... But I'll admit to number 4, because sometimes they make TV series of books, too!

Number 7, favorite character dying, is probably on my top 3 of all of those situations... It's like a knife stabbed in the heart :wibbly:  (The ones that killed me, were the deaths of

Snape and Sidney Carton

... Those were difficult!!

1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 14, 17  are the numbers for me.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm visiting my parents in my home-home town and I brought a bunch of books to store in the bookcase in 'my' room upstairs. Making a small dent in Mount TBR!

Books I've already read and might want to re-read in the future but do not particularly want to hold on to:

- Brontë, Charlotte: Jane Eyre

- Cain, Chelsea: Heartsick

- Cain, Chelsea: Sweetheart

Books I had on TBR pile but aren't that overly keen on reading anymore, but feel that shouldn't maybe get rid of, as they might be great reads:

- Carey, Peter: The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith

- Chabon, Michael: The Mysteries of Pittsburgh

- Cunningham, Michael: Flesh and Blood

- Fitzgerald, F. Scott: This Side of Paradise

- Flagg, Fannie: Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!

- Karra, Petri: Haarautuvan rakkauden talo

- Paasilinna, Arto: Hurmaava joukkoitsemurha

- Strindberg, August: Ett Drömspel

- Strindberg, August: Fröken Julie

- Thorup, Kirsten: Himmel och helvete

- Waltari, Mika: Tähdet kertovat komisario Palmu

- Waltari, Mika: Kuun maisema

TBR now stands at 438. Such a teeny tiny amount of books :o Feels weird and great :D

Edited by frankie

frankie wrote: A friend of mine showed me this today (17 Problems Only Book Lovers Will Understand), I have to share :D  I love number 17. 'Ex-cuuuuse me??' :D

:rolol:  Fantastic list!  Ok, I am numbers....... 1, 2 (depends on who is doing the interrupting..), 3, 4 (occasionally), 5 (big Time!), 6, 8 ( I simply 'consider the source'), 9, 10, 12 (but I've hardly ever lent books anyhow, goes against the grain), 13 (ditto), 14 (grrrrr :Tantrum: ),  15 ( I still remember crying like a baby at my job at a lawyer's firm at the end of Love Story...I was young!), 16 (again, 'consider the source'), and last, but not least.......17....BIG TIME!  Love the illustrations accompanying the items. :D

Oh, regarding your leaving Jane Eyre at your parents house.  I blush to admit I have at least 3, maybe 4 copies.....all different versions, of course.

Today I've been on here as a registered member for 5 glorious years! :D:doowapstart::party:   I joined on 8.8.2008 (what an easy date to remember :D), and have never looked back :D

x

Congratulations!! 

The Pact

by Jodi Picoult

x

I'm really glad you liked this one! I should read another Picoult book sometime soon..

Cute pig pictures!!

x

Okay, this is again not to do with books... but it's brilliant news and it's taking the gloom away from my coming autumn and I wanted to share it with you guys: I got the translating job, it's a work practice thing, and I've got it for a month (and if I do a good job, they might extend my position for a longer period). And the pay is absolutely ridiculous for someone without any work experience for this kind of job. I'm over the moon, and I still can't quite possibly believe it's true.

x

This is awesome news, I'm so happy for you!! :)

Edit: Just noticed - this is my 2,000th post! :thud:

x

Congratulations to you too!

x 

A friend of mine showed me this today (17 Problems Only Book Lovers Will Understand), I have to share :D  I love number 17. 'Ex-cuuuuse me??' :D

x

That's really nice, I recognise a few of them :).

I just checked out your new list of books mentioned in Inkheart. Excellent list! I was very impressed to see Alberto Manguel's A History of Reading there as well. I'm even more intrigued now to read a book that mentioned Manguel!

Stonking list!  I started off by thinking, oddly, that most didn't particularly apply (apart from one early one!), but then some lower down definitely kicked in!

1 - This comes up quite a bit (children/parents at school are always asking me), so I always have one designated  (FWIW, it's JL Carr's A Month in the Country) and, because they've never heard of it, I have a famous one to back up (Sense and Sensibility) and a children's one that they can relate to (the Swallows and Amazons series, with Winter Holiday at the top of the pile).  Which probably means I have a problem keeping it to one.........!

2. -  Yes, yes, yes (that's the early one I related to!).

3/4: - No - just make sure I read any book before seeing the film, and then the film is simply somebody else's impressions.  And if they get it wrong ;)   that's their problem!

7 - Hate that!

8 - No issue.   Like 3/4 - that's their problem!

9/14 - Not usually a problem, as I'm rarely so up to date as to come to a series that early!  TBH, I don't really like reading one author from one book to the next anyway, at least not since childhood when I was obsessive about reading series - the variety of reading is one big part of what makes it so great (there's quite a few series that I'm still no where near ending yet, and wonder if I ever will!).

10/12/13 - Oh boy, this is where this list really kicked in!!  I've got to the stage now where I won't lend books to anybody other than OH and offspring, who know how I feel (and are much like that themselves!).

16 - Sad to say, I just don't do that sort of empathy.  Too blokey on that front probably.

17 - This seems to be widely prevalent.  I don't often get that (as a teacher, people seem to expect you to enjoy reading a lot), but if I do - that's their problem not mine.

But, perhaps the biggest one of all?  11!!!  Wooee - that's one big problem. (Nowadays, it's not the buying that's so much of a problem, but the time occupied in browsing, especially in a half decent second hand shop!).

Late as usual, but congratulations on your fifth anniversary, and on the job.  Great times!

Edited by willoyd

I do appreciate all those problems in the list, but there's only two that I think are completely in tune with me, and those are:

6. I've definitely had nights with a much shortened sleep because I just *had* to finish a book  :sleeping-smiley-009 
15. Oh the times I've sat at my desk or in a cafe with tears streaming down my face!  :cry: 

As far as the rest go, I can forgive most things, interruptions, borrowed books (most of mine are likely to head off to the charity shop anyway, so not really a problem), and film adaptations.  I get mildly irritated by some of the others, but on the whole, I'm not that bothered!  Maybe I'm just too easy going? :D

Thanks everyone for sharing your own hates, it's been interesting! :D I recorded them all down manually, and I was going to do a bit of an overview of all of our thoughts, but it's too complicated to do on a Friday night :giggle2:

But a few thoughts: Eventhough three of the points made in the link only received one vote, we managed to cover all 17 issues amongst us :D In other words: as a group we take offence to them all :giggle:

But I have to say, I'm surprised that only willoyd and I have a problem with a favorite character dying... :o  You people are insensitive!! :giggle2::lol: But yes, of course it adds to the book... If a favorite character dies, it makes us feel a whole deal of things, and I guess one of the reasons we read books is to be made to feel things :)

And I was going to record any issues that we all felt, each one of us, but chesilbeach's laid back attitude is the reason why we don't all share even one issue... :lol: Oh chesil! No, really, I'm kidding. It's good to be laid back :)

On another note: Five years on the forum, and this is my 10,000th post! :lol:

On yet another note: I went and signed the work contract today! They didn't even ask for my CV or student credit record, all I had to do was go in and get the work contract signed and get the access pass, and then I talked about my job description with my friend (who works at the place and who landed me the job) etc. It's now a 100% sure thing, I have a job for next month! :D So exciting!

Also: they had this free book exchange bookcase :o !! :D I was happy about that. There weren't any books I wanted, but I'm going to keep an eye on it ;)

And: This is the Joen Yö day/night, meaning 'Joensuu night'. There are all sorts of happenings and events and things to see and experience. I'm too lazy to take part. Not that it matters. But: for the last three years I've always gone to the library's big booksale on this day, but today I was so excited and nervous about the meeting, that I forgot all about it. And when I remembered, I was too lazy to go! Can you believe it? I can't... I've found such great and cheap books from the sale... Simone de Beauvoir diaries, a Hemingway bio, all kinds of great stuff... Sigh!

Edit: I'm really proud of pontalba, who was very outraged by almost all of the 'issues' in the link... :lol: Super funny!

Edited by frankie

Thanks everyone for sharing your own hates, it's been interesting! :D I recorded them all down manually, and I was going to do a bit of an overview of all of our thoughts, but it's too complicated to do on a Friday night :giggle2:

But a few thoughts: Eventhough three of the points made in the link only received one vote, we managed to cover all 17 issues amongst us :D In other words: as a group we take offence to them all :giggle:

But I have to say, I'm surprised that only willoyd and I have a problem with a favorite character dying... :o  You people are insensitive!! :giggle2::lol: But yes, of course it adds to the book... If a favorite character dies, it makes us feel a whole deal of things, and I guess one of the reasons we read books is to be made to feel things :)

And I was going to record any issues that we all felt, each one of us, but chesilbeach's laid back attitude is the reason why we don't all share even one issue... :lol: Oh chesil! No, really, I'm kidding. It's good to be laid back :)

On another note: Five years on the forum, and this is my 10,000th post! :lol:

On yet another note: I went and signed the work contract today! They didn't even ask for my CV or student credit record, all I had to do was go in and get the work contract signed and get the access pass, and then I talked about my job description with my friend (who works at the place and who landed me the job) etc. It's now a 100% sure thing, I have a job for next month! :D So exciting!

Also: they had this free book exchange bookcase :o !! :D I was happy about that. There weren't any books I wanted, but I'm going to keep an eye on it ;)

And: This is the Joen Yö day/night, meaning 'Joensuu night'. There are all sorts of happenings and events and things to see and experience. I'm too lazy to take part. Not that it matters. But: for the last three years I've always gone to the library's big booksale on this day, but today I was so excited and nervous about the meeting, that I forgot all about it. And when I remembered, I was too lazy to go! Can you believe it? I can't... I've found such great and cheap books from the sale... Simone de Beauvoir diaries, a Hemingway bio, all kinds of great stuff... Sigh!

Edit: I'm really proud of pontalba, who was very outraged by almost all of the 'issues' in the link... :lol: Super funny!

Happy, happy congratulations on the new position!! 

10,000 posts!  Bloody amazing!  More congratulations. :D

But.  Missed a book sale??? :icon_eek:  Shock and Awe!!  Let me take your temperature...are you ill?? /giggle/ :D

:P  re edit. :giggle2:

Oh, regarding your leaving Jane Eyre at your parents house.  I blush to admit I have at least 3, maybe 4 copies.....all different versions, of course.

Well well... I bought the English copy because I loved the book. But I had read it in Finnish the first time. Coincidentally I read the book in the summer before I started uni, and during the first year the book was read in our English lit class... I really, really enjoyed the book, but I've tried three or four times to re-read it in English. The problems are:

a) the font in my English copy is very small, and annoying to read and

b) I always, always forget that there's the long story about Jane being at the orphanage. It's so boring :blush: I never get passed it! So when I found a beautiful Finnish copy, I decided I could get rid of the English one.

I just checked out your new list of books mentioned in Inkheart. Excellent list! I was very impressed to see Alberto Manguel's A History of Reading there as well. I'm even more intrigued now to read a book that mentioned Manguel!

Oh I am sure, I knew you'd be thrilled about that :D But I am surprised that you didn't say anything about Shel Silverstein being on the list... :lurker:

:giggle2:

Wow frankie, the first page of your thread is very organised! I love the statistics you posted and all the lists. It's an inspiration, I should do things differently next year!

You should go and see my first reading log :D It's very very simplistic, no lists! Only the books I read during that year from the time I joined the forum... Over the years I've become more organized and maybe even OCD about my lists... :giggle: But I have to say some of the things on my first page are things I've picked up from the reading logs of other members on here. Like the links for easy reference. That's Kylie's influence, most definitely :)

Happy, happy congratulations on the new position!! 

Thank you! I'm thrilled :D

10,000 posts!  Bloody amazing!  More congratulations. :D

I know!! 5 years and 10,000 posts. That's 2,000 posts per year! That's a lot of natter :giggle2:

But.  Missed a book sale??? :icon_eek:  Shock and Awe!!  Let me take your temperature...are you ill?? /giggle/ :D

I know, it's crazy!! But I've been reorganizing my bookcases and shelves and I just don't think I could deal with new (secondhand) books at the moment... At least ones that aren't on my wishlist. I can't do any impulse purchases at the moment.

But I can proudly say that I've been itching to buy a book or two on BookDepo for a whole week now... :D See? I'm very much alive, and healthy :D

Congrats Frankie!!!  On everything :D :D xx

Thanks Sofia :D A lot of random anniversaries/lucky happenings/natter things to celebrate :D

You should go and see my first reading log :D It's very very simplistic, no lists! Only the books I read during that year from the time I joined the forum... Over the years I've become more organized and maybe even OCD about my lists... :giggle: But I have to say some of the things on my first page are things I've picked up from the reading logs of other members on here. Like the links for easy reference. That's Kylie's influence, most definitely :)

Me too .. I don't believe it had dawned on my thick brain to do stuff like the easy ref links .. I shamelessly stole it from you and the mistress :D:flowers2: I never used to write lists either .. or only very short ones saying what I'd read and what was on the shelf. In 2009 I reckoned I had 19 books waiting TBR .. that must have been an outrageous lie :D 

Fantastic news about your new job  :boogie: .. you must be super excited :boogie: I guess this means we will see less of you but I can't be sad because it's such a brilliant thing for you. Best of luck my darling .. you will wow them I'm sure :friends0: 

I do get sad if a fave character dies but I quite enjoy being sad about it .. if you know what I mean  :blush2: 

10,000 posts woohoo!! :party: .. long may you continue to natter :D

Congrats on your 10000th post, frankie!! :):hug: I agree with ^ poppyshake, we love your posts!

Very strong of you to resist the book sale.

I'll have a look around other book lists too, and then next year I should be able to make a bit of a better one than this year's one. But hey, it was a first so :giggle2:.

On a lunch break.

I found a book at the free book exchange bookcase here at the office. I wasn't going to take any books but this was on my wishlist so I had to!

Paljain jaloin by Madeleine Hesserus. I don't know if this has been translated into English. I think it's about a woman who decides to go into the woods and live out of society. I can't remember for sure, I haven't had time to check the blurb.

Oh I am sure, I knew you'd be thrilled about that :D But I am surprised that you didn't say anything about Shel Silverstein being on the list... :lurker:

Nah, don't want to get too predictable. ;)

(OK, fine, it just didn't 'click' with me when I saw his name. :lurker:)

Me too .. I don't believe it had dawned on my thick brain to do stuff like the easy ref links .. I shamelessly stole it from you and the mistress :D

What's so great about the forum is that the people don't mind other people shamelessly stealing their ideas on the organisational bits re: reading logs, etc... :giggle2: We all contribute, and we all steal! Muahhahahah :D The easy reference links, though, are one of the most useful ones, in my opinion. For years I meant to do them, whenever I saw them on Kylie's log, but I think this year was the first that I actually remembered to do it! :doh:

:flowers2: I never used to write lists either .. or only very short ones saying what I'd read and what was on the shelf. In 2009 I reckoned I had 19 books waiting TBR .. that must have been an outrageous lie :D 

:D More like 190? But don't you just love lists... How could you not have proper ones before now?

One of my fears in life (and this is quite silly) is that somehow, by some unnatural or natural disaster, this forum will explode or something, and then I'll lose my lists!! :(  Which is why I continue to keep my manual list of read books, on a notebook. It's one of my most precious items, I will never get rid of it.

Fantastic news about your new job  :boogie: .. you must be super excited :boogie: I guess this means we will see less of you but I can't be sad because it's such a brilliant thing for you. Best of luck my darling .. you will wow them I'm sure :friends0: 

Hehehe, I've been on here during work days, but I must confess, that's only because I've been PMing Kylie about some of my concerns re: the translations, hoping she'll not mind helping me out :giggle2: Well, mostly because :giggle:

I do get sad if a fave character dies but I quite enjoy being sad about it .. if you know what I mean  :blush2: 

I do know what you mean, but I was really gutted about

Snape

dying. That death I could've done without!! :(   (I put it in spoiler tags, but you've read the books so you can go and see what's in them.

10,000 posts woohoo!! :party: .. long may you continue to natter :D

Thank you :D Hehe, 'natter' is a new word in my vocabulary, I only learned it a few weeks ago when you and I were posting on your reading log and you or maybe Diane said something about us being very chatteryboxery :D

Congrats on your 10000th post, frankie!! :):hug: I agree with ^ poppyshake, we love your posts!

Thanks Athena :D I have to say, a lot of my natter friends have stopped coming on here. The forum, I mean. It's a real shame. :( Well, people come and go... Natter friends come and go... But natter stays! :)

I'll have a look around other book lists too, and then next year I should be able to make a bit of a better one than this year's one. But hey, it was a first so :giggle2:.

No worries :D Like I said, I was very clueless on my first year. I dare say everyone else was the same. You know, some of us always look forward to the New Year, because then we can set up our new reading logs and we love to do all the different posts. It might seem silly to other people, but over here it's a disease we aren't looking a cure for ... :blush::giggle2:

Nah, don't want to get too predictable. ;)

(OK, fine, it just didn't 'click' with me when I saw his name. :lurker:)

:D How you managed not to notice it is beyond me. And step back, I've got me axe... :D Oh, I miss the birds singing in the early morning. And my ceiling fan, and the remote control for the light. Very handy! Ooooh and the lizards. And sitting on the Beatles :P

You know what time it is? It's weekend time :D Wohoo!

The first week at work was pretty exhausting. Fortunately I was able to get a good night's sleep and didn't stay up all night, worrying about the first day at work. When I got in, I didn't have access to the computers, so I could only read the report my friend had given me to read, to familiarize myself with the jargon etc. It was difficult, though, when I couldn't look up any of the words, not being able to go online. At the end of the day I got computer access and started going through the words I'd underlined.

On Tuesday I continued reading the report, checking up unfamiliar words etc. When I was finished, I started proof-reading a poster. I continued doing that on Wednesday, and that day I was given another poster to proof-read (which I didn't know about beforehand), and that took most of Thursday as well. On Friday I turned in the second poster and the person who'd made it and given it to me to proof-read said thanks, and that it was very handy to have someone like me on the staff :) It was nice to hear I'd been of use. I finished the other poster today and started to finally translate the long-ish report I'm to mostly tackle over the next three weeks.

When I was leafing through the pages of the report earlier this week, I honestly thought I couldn't do it. Firstly, I didn't know the jargon!, and secondly, it was very scientific and full of fancy sentence structures. I was quite disheartened. But today I started looking up the words and realised that just by proof-reading the two posters, I'd already managed to memorize some useful words and somehow it also became easier to come up with the different words.

Initially I wasn't too keen on having to do proof-reading, because I was so keen on starting the actual translating process, but thinking back, doing the posters was a really good way to ease my way into the world of forestry. Even though I was so ready for the weekend by Thursday, I was actually starting to have a lot of fun with the translating today. I was listening to the radio on my cell phone, I was alone at the office (room), and I was becoming more and more confident in the whole process.

I'm really, really stoked about the weekend, but at the same time I know I won't feel too bad about going back to work next week, because I'll be continuing with the translating :)

Oh, and to replace the book I took from the free book exchange bookcase at the office, I took my copy of The Joy Luck Club (the Finnish version, horrid translation!) and Invisible Man and put them on the shelves. It'll be interesting to see if anyone's going to snatch them up :)

And about the people at the office: I work in this big room with three other stations, but there's only one other person working there, and she's only working part-time. She seems nice, but we haven't really talked. The first few days I didn't talk to anyone, and felt like an outsider when I was having cappuccino at the lounge. But then I discovered a smaller, cosier lounge closer to my work room and I've talked with a few women there. Everyone I've talked to has been nice but so far I haven't really had any real conversations with anyone.

Edit: I haven't had time and/or I've been too exhausted to do much reading this week, I've only managed maybe 10-20 pages in bed before falling asleep. But I'm going to do a lot of reading this weekend!! I aim to finally finish the beautiful Inkspell and then start The Joy Luck Club for the reading circle. I'm hoping to see a lot of action in the Read-a-thon thread! :)

Edited by frankie

There's something I've been thinking about... If they were happy with my work at the office, and if they were to continue my contract, I would actually have some money... And I've been thinking that I would love to visit the UK. I shouldn't really think about this at this point, because maybe they only want me for this month. But if I got to work there for longer... I would really like to visit the UK. I've never actually traveled just for fun on my own, Denmark and Australia were language practice related (although both visits were a whole helluva lot of fun! :D), and I feel like if I were able to land a steady job for even a few more months, I would really like to travel. And UK's pretty close, and I'd love to meet some of the folks on here... And go book shopping... :giggle2: There'd be so many people to meet, though, that it might be tricky to fit it all in. Where and when!

Your first week sounds like an overall fantastic, and educational one.  I'm so happy for your frankie!

It's always difficult fitting into a new job, but it seems as though they know how to start newbies off right.  What great training, no matter how this goes.  I can't imagine they won't keep you after the month.  Only thing stopping them, I'd think, would be their own financial considerations. 

:alc:  :doowapstart:  :crazy:

Well, the U.K. is closer to the U.S.......... :drive1: