frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take that as a 'yes' to my having enough sci-fi on the list :D

Only cos you can't have much on there if you haven't read much in the first place  :D  

Although I'm not happy about the sci-fi way this was concluded :D

It made me laugh, though  :giggle2:

Frankie

I hope you enjoy the free book you found. Sounds a bit like a travel type book ? I like reading them ,learning about lots of different places without leaving the house .

I think it might be a kind of a semiautobiographical book, also bildungsroman, with some traveling in it. I took a look at some pages and it seemed very readable. I haven't read many books where traveling is a big part, but I definitely don't mind that type of books :)

Coincidentally, when I went to lunch with boss today, she told me she'd left a few books in the free books bookcase at work. She told me they were books she'd bought off libraries and because the Mazzarella book was a removed from library book, I told her she'd probably left that one behind and she said yes. I told her I'd snatched it right off :D We took a look at the books, (she likes reading, too) and I showed her the L. M. Montgomery book I'd left there. She wanted it immediately, she's never read Montgomery but has always wanted to, but in the end she didn't take it, because she wanted to buy an omnibus type of edition.

Sorry I can't be of any use with the Tim-Tams .. we don't have them anyplace around here . They might sell them in some of the big cities that have lots more variety items . I think they are mainly an Australian item, aren't they ? Not sure ,just guessing .

Don't worry Julie, I know you live across the big pond and the shipment would cost you loads, that's why I asked the UK people about it... I don't want anyone to go through too much trouble about it. Yes you're right, they are Australian :) I had them in Australia and took some with me to let my (then) BF taste them. Quite oddly he didn't like Rocky Road which is my personal favorite, but he was totally into Tim Tams :D

Enjoy your day and especially the cute dude at lunch .   :)

The cute dude wasn't there unfortunately... But I saw him the next day. I was in line and saw him approach, but then he backtracked and went back to the library :D I hope it's because he didn't see any friends with whom to have lunch, and not because he's noticed me stalking him :giggle2:

frankie, I hope you enjoy the book you got.

Wow, that man has some dedication! I'm glad your ex has been helpful. I looked up TimTams, the Dutch shops here don't sell it but it looks like Amazon.co.uk sells them through other shops. I could order some for you and send them to you. I don't know the candy myself though so you'd have to tell me which flavours you'd want (of maybe some of all!). If you go to amazon.co.uk and do a search for Tim-Tams link you can see which ones they sell. It does appear they're made in Australia. If not me, then a British person might be able to help you. They might be able to get a better deal, since not all of Amazon's shops send their stuff overseas (they don't send to Finland, btw?). I'd have to take a better look to see which ones sell it internationally.

Ex just happens to be very good at English, at least as good as me, even though he's never studied it.

I should look up the Amazon deal... The problem with Amazon is that ... no wait, I don't have problems with Amazon, I only have problems with Play.com! :o Wow... I believe Amazon does ship to Finland, because ex has bought many books on Amazon.

I tried googling yesterday to see if I could find an online store that would ship Tim Tams to Finland but couldn't find anything. I know there are some stores because ex showed some links to me some time ago, because he was thinking about ordering Tim Tams for himself... That's where I got the idea from. He's been drooling for them for ages now but hasn't ordered them himself yet.

Re the tim-tams....it looks like you can purchase them through Amazon.  However you can purchase directly from Australian Food Online, they ship worldwide, they say. Here is their link. http://www.aussiefoodshop.com/australian_food_home.html

They look yummy!

Oh they are yummy :yes: Australian Food Online, that sounds like they would ship all the way from Australia? I think I will go on and look for a place that's a bit closer...

Tim tams can be quite addictive! You can never just have one, and there are so many flavours. We have some in the fridge right now. :)

I can tell you a little thing some people do, don't know if you have ever heard it. You bite both ends off and use it like a straw to suck a drink like coffee or milk through it, it makes it all mushy like a cake in the middle when you bite into it. Best thing ever.

I actually heard about that before I went to Australia. I noticed the famous British traveler, Ian something, was on TV and that episode was of Australia and I tuned in and he had Tim Tams, and he talked about using them as straws. So of course I had to try that :D It was yummy! I like coffee in my chocolate... but my coffee was ruined, though. I don't like chocolate in my coffee :D

I've not seen Tim Tams over here frankie but if you come across anywhere that ships in the UK let me know, then I can send them with your books! :)

But only if I find a place and you would let me know how much the shipping cost, and how much the Tim Tams were! Would you prefer I pay you back on Paypal or order some books for you for the amount of money you spent on them?

Good idea to make a quick reference list.. not enough SF in there...[sigh] ;)

There's too much sci-fi on there :P

I love your new condensed list frankie .. like you've simmered it all up in a saucepan and this is what it's concentrated down to :) Yes, isn't it odd .. when people ask me what my favourite book is I hardly ever have an answer??!! There are so many that I can't pin it down to one or two .. they glaze over after the 27th title .. they're not generally book lovers you see :blush2:

Yes there is :D

Oooh, you mean my list is all greasy and delicious? Lickable, perhaps? :D

:lol:

kirk_zps0eff38c0.gif

:giggle2:

The more I watch that, the more I'm attracted to the bloke in the green shirt :blush: Thanks :D

:lol:!

Imo, to each their own. We should all read what we like to read, nothing wrong with not liking a certain book or genre :).

You said it, sister! :D:friends3:

Only cos you can't have much on there if you haven't read much in the first place  :D  

I so have!!!! :drama:

I quite like it.  Yes, I am prejudiced. heh

Two of my favorite cuties. :giggle:

Oh yeah :D

Ah you just love being able to say that casually. "after work" :smile:

Who wouldn't :shrug:

Edited by frankie

frankie, I hope you enjoy the book you got.

Wow, that man has some dedication! I'm glad your ex has been helpful. I looked up TimTams, the Dutch shops here don't sell it but it looks like Amazon.co.uk sells them through other shops. I could order some for you and send them to you. I don't know the candy myself though so you'd have to tell me which flavours you'd want (of maybe some of all!). If you go to amazon.co.uk and do a search for Tim-Tams link you can see which ones they sell. It does appear they're made in Australia. If not me, then a British person might be able to help you. They might be able to get a better deal, since not all of Amazon's shops send their stuff overseas (they don't send to Finland, btw?). I'd have to take a better look to see which ones sell it internationally.

According to that site, they`re similar to Penguins, which you may find easier to get hold of ? :smile:

According to that site, they`re similar to Penguins, which you may find easier to get hold of ? :smile:

Thanks for the idea, but it's got to be Tim Tams, ex has been talking about them non-stop since he first had a bite of them :D

Edit: Now that I think about it, I want Tim Tams, too :D And Iced Vovos!!! I really, really should find an online store that ships both of these deliciousnessies to Finland :giggle:

Edited by frankie

Hey pontalba, who's the other hottie in the gif? :shrug: I don't recognise him. He's not bad to look at, either, but the other dude.... Yum :D:blush:

:o

Seriously?  You don't know Captain Kirk (gold shirt) and Doctor McCoy (blue shirt)??  :o

:D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

:o

Seriously?  You don't know Captain Kirk (gold shirt) and Doctor McCoy (blue shirt)??  :o

:D

Nope :shrug: And I don't feel one bit ashamed about it :P

Edit: So if I go on imdb.com, I will be able to trace the actors named Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy? :shrug:

:P

Edited by frankie

Nope :shrug: And I don't feel one bit ashamed about it :P

No shame in not knowing your pop culture :lol:

Edit: So if I go on imdb.com, I will be able to trace the actors named Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy? :shrug:

William Shatner and DeForrest Kelley  :smile:

And the shirt is green :D

It's command gold - yes, I do know this  :giggle2:

Hahaha!! Go Frankie!! :haha: 

High Five! :D:giggle2:

No shame in not knowing your pop culture :lol:

Oh like you'd know everything :rolleyes::P

William Shatner and DeForrest Kelley  :smile:

Thank you. I did think it must be William Shatner, but I had no idea he looked so scrumplicious back in the day :blush: I'll have to google the other one.

It's command gold - yes, I do know this  :giggle2:

Green!! :P

That's his posh full dress shirt. You usually see it when he is showing an ambassador  around the Enterprise or something. But usually he wears an amber top

Oh yes, amber top rings a bell... But he looks better in GREEEEEEN :lol:

I said I wouldn't do reviews on re-read books, but I must make an exception with this one, as it's gone on the frankie recommends -list.

Inkheart

by Cornelia Funke

9511195751%282%29_0.jpg

From Book Depository: Meggie loves books. So does her father, Mo, a bookbinder, although he has never read aloud to her since her mother mysteriously disappeared. They live quietly until the night a stranger knocks at their door. He has come with a warning that forces Mo to reveal an extraordinary secret - a storytelling secret that will change their lives for ever.

Thoughts: I liked this well enough on first reading, but for some odd reason I liked it more this time round. There's a girl who likes books, with a father who likes books. An aunt who likes books, and her big home library. And something odd. A stranger comes knocking on the door... And there starts the epic tale. What a wonderful idea for a book. Something most of us would probably like to happen... But there are pros and cons to it.

Before re-reading this, I remembered liking it, and I'd acquired copies of the sequels, but I'd already thought I'd give them away. I'm so glad I re-read the book, I got sucked into the world and started the sequal right after.

If you like books and YA-type of books, as well as fantasy, this is the book for you!

4/5

Dialogues with Mothers

by Bruno Bettelheim

7e9cf51619bd237722d38e2b098b1-orig.jpg

From Amazon: In an easy to read, question/answer format, this book brings you various everyday situations which parents face but may find difficult.

Thoughts: I got this from a library sale, thinking it would bring to light all the problems daughters had with their mothers.... But it was very different from that altogether :D Bettelheim has a group of people (students?) who've come to talk about their problems with their children. It's a bit dated, but it was really interesting. Somehow the thoughts of what parents wanted from their children were in contradiction to how they set example themselves. For example, a couple wanted their daughter to be very social, but kept feeding her in this self-made gadget because that's how the baby took the shortest time to drink the milk. And of course the parents felt that because that's the quickiest way to deal with it, it's suitable. Bettelheim pointed out that the parents socialized with their friends in dinner table, and during those meetings they took the longest time to actually eat what was on their plate, yes? So that's what the baby did as well. If she was held, she took longer because she enjoyed it, and if she was fed in this odd contraption, she would gobble her food in no time and be done with it.

A bit dated, but somehow intriguing.

4/5

Hey pontalba, who's the other hottie in the gif? :shrug: I don't recognise him. He's not bad to look at, either, but the other dude.... Yum :D:blush:

The other cutie in blue is (real name) DeForest Kelley aka Leonard (Bones) McCoy, sidekick and Doc on the Starship Enterprise, Star Trek, The Original Series, aka ST/TOS. McCoy plays a Southern Boy transplanted to Space (the Final Frontier).  His favorite expression went something like "Dammit, Jim, I'm not a miracle worker)......but, of course he was. :D

DeForest has passed on to that big star ship in the sky now, but lives on in reruns. :cool:

The one in green, William Shatner is one of my all time favorites.  Even now, up in his 80's he is adorable, and feisty, and generally raising 'ell all over. 

Actually, he is a fine actor.  He played, for one thing, in the remake of a very famous Twilight Zone episode  that was redone in Twilight Zone, the Movie.  Nightmare at 20,000 Feet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_at_20,000_Feet 

The other cutie in blue is (real name) DeForest Kelley aka Leonard (Bones) McCoy, sidekick and Doc on the Starship Enterprise, Star Trek, The Original Series, aka ST/TOS. McCoy plays a Southern Boy transplanted to Space (the Final Frontier).  His favorite expression went something like "Dammit, Jim, I'm not a miracle worker)......but, of course he was. :D

DeForest has passed on to that big star ship in the sky now, but lives on in reruns. :cool:

Thanks pontalba :D I wonder how a Southern Boy liked space. I hope they treated him right :yes:

William Shatner I know. What, he's in his 80's already? :o

I think for the general public in Finland (or at least the people my age and who aren't Trekkies), William Shatner became known for doing the Rescue 911 show. I was a just a teeny tiny kid back then (I'll have to google when this show aired) and I watched the show but oh boy it gave me terrors.

I still remember this one incident where some man who'd broken and entered a house and was harming the man of the house in some way (I can't remember the details) and this young girl of the family called 911 and told the operator what was happening. She was really scared but she did a great job, and I think she could even see some of the things that were happening to her Dad. I have no recollection of what happened to the family.

The really scary and mind effing thing of it: I was just a kid and I didn't understand about reenacting the scenes and events. I didn't realise that the kid was just an actor playing the part of the girl. I thought (and remember I was very young!) she was the actual kid whose father was being attacked and I didn't really understand how they were able to film it, how they just happened to be in the house. I don't think it ever entered my mind that if they were really there when it happened, they would've helped the people. I was just too shocked.

Edited by frankie