Frankie reads 2013

frankie

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean "he's" a he?! I didn't know that either :blush:. I have two books by him on my shelves but they're both translated into Dutch, I'm not even sure what exactly they're about as they came with this box set of Dutch books (by various authors), I bought it many years ago (when I still read Dutch) and it's still in the plastic. I do have I think one or several books by him on my wishlist (English).

Frankie

I think most people over here would know that Sidney Sheldon was a man, mainly because he was a pretty big name for a long time. I'm not sure if he's even still alive now, but if he is, he'd be about 117 . He used to write some of the tv episodes over here too ( back probably in the 60's and maybe 70's). I think one was I Dream of Jeanie .

I used to read some of his books. I think my favorite was Master of the Game .

I only thought he was a guy because i know another with a similar name - sidney james, aka sid james from the carry on movies. I've seen all the carry on movies.

Am I the only one who always thought Sidney Sheldon was a woman? :blush:

Yes. :harhar:

I would have said yes until I read Athena's reply!   :P:D

/sigh/ ya hadda go and tell her!  :giggle:

Frankie

I think most people over here would know that Sidney Sheldon was a man, mainly because he was a pretty big name for a long time. I'm not sure if he's even still alive now, but if he is, he'd be about 117 . He used to write some of the tv episodes over here too ( back probably in the 60's and maybe 70's). I think one was I Dream of Jeanie .

I'm not sure which ones I read, but I read several back in the day.  I liked Harold Robbins as well, especially The Adventurers.  http://www.amazon.com/Adventurers-Harold-Robbins/dp/1452045682/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381250582&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Adventurers  excellent book, lousy film. :) I read it when it first came out (in paperback), or shortly there after. 

I only thought he was a guy because i know another with a similar name - sidney james, aka sid james from the carry on movies. I've seen all the carry on movies.

Oh, aren't they the ones with Dirk Bogarde?  I've seen a couple of them. :)

Name isn't familiar so I'm not 100% sure.

Dirk Bogarde wasn't in the Carry On films, but he was in something similar - the (excellent (in my opinion), if rather dated!) 'Doctor' films.  Doctor in Distress, Doctor at Large, Doctor at Sea and Doctor in the House.  To me, they were rather superior than the Carry Ons, although I haven't seen them for a long time, so maybe I'm remembering them through rose tinted glasses!  :)

Name isn't familiar so I'm not 100% sure.

Just so you can see.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Bogarde  Interesting man.  Actor.  Writer.

Dirk Bogarde wasn't in the Carry On films, but he was in something similar - the (excellent (in my opinion), if rather dated!) 'Doctor' films.  Doctor in Distress, Doctor at Large, Doctor at Sea and Doctor in the House.  To me, they were rather superior than the Carry Ons, although I haven't seen them for a long time, so maybe I'm remembering them through rose tinted glasses!  :)

Thanks for clearing that up. :)  I've only seen a few, but loved him in later films.

Edited by pontalba

You mean "he's" a he?! I didn't know that either :blush:.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D:friends3:  Do you have different pronouns for females and males in Dutch? We don't, 'he' and 'she' are both 'hän', so if one would talk about Sidney Sheldon in Finnish and didn't specifically say he was a he, it would never come up in any other way :shrug:

I would have said yes until I read Athena's reply!   :P:D

:D It still means you didn't know :P:giggle2:

Frankie

I think Sheldon is still a big name, but for some reason I just didn't know he was a he. I think he died in 2007, if I remember correctly the wiki info.

I guess Sidney is one of those unisex names :shrug:

Yes. :harhar:

:D:blush:

/sigh/ ya hadda go and tell her!  :giggle:

She's nice that way :lol:

I went shopping today! :) But I have to say, I didn't buy any books. I went to buy the third season of Criminal Minds, and luckily found it, and for a reasonable price, too. I also bought another DVD, a Guillermo del Toro movie, called Julia's Eyes. I don't usually go for horror movies myself, but one of the housemates on Finnish celeb BB was talking about the movie and it sounded good so I bought it when I saw it in the shop for 5e. It should be pretty scary :hide:

I also bought the new album by Pearl Jam! :smile2: And a ticket to see Matti Airaksinen in Kerubi, he's the DJ/host of the 90s radio show I listen to every Friday 8-10 PM. Coincidentally there are a few other acts on that same night, but as I was so giddy about the 90s show, I didn't take a look at what the others were. When I got home, I saw that the first artist will be Sanni, and would you know, I heard one of her songs played on the radio many, many times when I was at work and I loved it. So now I get to see her, too! :) She doesn't do the kind of music I normally listen to, but I just really like her songs, she writes and composes them herself, and she's only 20 years old! I'm very much looking forward to the evening :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :D:friends3:  Do you have different pronouns for females and males in Dutch? We don't, 'he' and 'she' are both 'hän', so if one would talk about Sidney Sheldon in Finnish and didn't specifically say he was a he, it would never come up in any other way :shrug:

x

I didn't know that, wow. I wish we had that, sometimes :P. We have "he" and "she": "hij" and "zij" (we also have "ik" (I), "jij / je" (you), "wij" (we), "jullie" (you plural) and "zij (plural)" (they)).

EDIT: BTW, I'm glad you had fun shopping :).

Edited by Athena

x

I didn't know that, wow. I wish we had that, sometimes :P. We have "he" and "she": "hij" and "zij" (we also have "ik" (I), "jij / je" (you), "wij" (we), "jullie" (you plural) and "zij (plural)" (they)).

EDIT: BTW, I'm glad you had fun shopping :).

It's sometimes very convenient not to have 'she' and 'he' pronouns... :giggle2: Like when I was a teenager, I could tell my Mum I was going somewhere to see a friend and talked about that person in the unisex 'hän' and she wouldn't know it was a guy... :D

But then again, I see how it's also convenient to have pronouns that make the difference between men and women.

Edit: Although in spoken Finnish, it's more and more common to say 'it' when referring to a person :shrug: 'It' is 'se' in Finnish, also a unisex term, and for some reason if I'm talking about someone, I will say 'se on kiva' as in 'it is nice', when talking about a person. If I say 'hän' ('he' or 'she') I'm most likely speaking with someone with whom I think I need to speak 'proper' Finnish.

Edited by frankie

That's pretty interesting, I always like learning about other languages :). I can imagine it might've been convenient sometimes :giggle2:.

I don't know anything about the Dutch language, but I've heard it spoken sometimes on TV, and it sounds so interesting! It sounds a bit like Norwegian and Danish, and then all of a sudden it sounds like English. I bet you guys have some words the come from English, right? It would be fun to learn that language :)

Maori doesn't have separate pronouns for he or she either, ia can mean either one.  Or tona/tana is his or her.

PS I'm useless at quoting on here.

:D It still means you didn't know :P:giggle2:

I think Sheldon is still a big name, but for some reason I just didn't know he was a he. I think he died in 2007, if I remember correctly the wiki info.

I don't know anything about the Dutch language, but I've heard it spoken sometimes on TV, and it sounds so interesting! It sounds a bit like Norwegian and Danish, and then all of a sudden it sounds like English. I bet you guys have some words the come from English, right? It would be fun to learn that language :)

x

We have quite a few words that are 'borrowed' from English, or that are similar to the English versions. Both Dutch and English originate from the Germanic (I hope that's a proper translation?) language, so they have common ancestry. Here are some words:

(to) be = zijn (ik ben, jij bent, hij/zij/het is, wij zijn, jullie zijn, zij zijn)

(to) read = lezen (ik lees, jij leest, hij/zij/het leest, wij lezen, jullie lezen, zij lezen)

(to) write = schrijven (ik schrijf, jij schrijft, hij/zij/het schrijft, wij schrijven, jullie schrijven, zij schrijven)

book = boek

bookcase = boekenkast (boeken -> books, kast -> cabinet, closet)

computer = computer

mouse = muis

house = huis

home = thuis (though if you say "I'm going home" -> "Ik ga naar huis").

film / movie = film

trilogy = trilogie

a series = een serie

bookwurm = boekenwurm

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know, these were just some words I thought might interest you. What are some of these words in Finnish?

EDIT: I forgot to add in my previous post, "zij" can also be "ze", like "jij" and "je". It depends if you want to emphasize it "jij, zij" or not (but there's no "he" for "hij").

Edited by Athena

Maori doesn't have separate pronouns for he or she either, ia can mean either one.  Or tona/tana is his or her.

PS I'm useless at quoting on here.

I knew Finnish wasn't the only language that doesn't separate pronouns... But I didn't know that about the Maori, thanks :) Actually when I think about it, I can't think of any language that I know that would be the same... This makes me want to read my old linguistics books...

x

We have quite a few words that are 'borrowed' from English, or that are similar to the English versions. Both Dutch and English originate from the Germanic (I hope that's a proper translation?) language, so they have common ancestry. Here are some words:

(to) be = zijn (ik ben, jij bent, hij/zij/het is, wij zijn, jullie zijn, zij zijn) = olla

(to) read = lezen (ik lees, jij leest, hij/zij/het leest, wij lezen, jullie lezen, zij lezen) = lukea

(to) write = schrijven (ik schrijf, jij schrijft, hij/zij/het schrijft, wij schrijven, jullie schrijven, zij schrijven) = kirjoittaa

book = boek = kirja

bookcase = boekenkast (boeken -> books, kast -> cabinet, closet) = kirjahylly

computer = computer = tietokone

mouse = muis = hiiri

house = huis = talo

home = thuis (though if you say "I'm going home" -> "Ik ga naar huis"). = koti

film / movie = film = elokuva (although you can also say filmi)

trilogy = trilogie = trilogia

a series = een serie = sarja

bookwurm = boekenwurm = kirjatoukka

When I was reading through your post, I remembered that during the last year of high school, we had to go and visit a uni or a vocational school of our choice to get a feeling of how it would be to study there. I visited the uni of Kuopio because I didn't yet know what I was going to study, and a bunch of pals were going there, and also because I had a friend who lived in Kuopio and with whom I could stay the night.

She lived in a student flat with three other girls, and coincidentally one of the girls was Dutch. My friend left the flat to do something, I can't remember what, and I was revising for my Swedish vocabulary test for school. I started wondering where my friend had went and went and asked the Dutch girl if she knew. She didn't, but we struck up a conversation and somehow she ended up quizzing me on the words. She said most of the Swedish words were so similar to her own mother tongue... So that was truly educational :D