Devi

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Devi

I agree with the others . You book reviews sound fine to me . I'm sure it is frustrating to you if you have the thoughts in your head ,but have trouble transferring them to print .

The bookstore adventure sure sounds like fun !

I think we'd all like to have that opportunity .    :)

I just wanted to explain something, in the hopes people will understand more about me.

I recently had a neuropsychological test and got the results back. This is taken from my members thread:

"Working memory - trying to get what I want to say out in the right words/order, forming thoughts properly on the spot and sometimes understanding people. This one is quite depressing for me, as they said I am highly intelligent, but due to the fact I can't get out what I want to say, or process things properly most days, it makes me feel like I'm very stupid."

This is why my reviews etc can come across as a jumbled mess of words. Nothing makes me more upset as I know what I want to say, but can't always get it across the way I want it to. I am also a bit of a grammar nazi, but sometimes, without realising I misspell words. Please believe me, its unintentional when I do it.

I have trouble remembering names, for example, the last book I read when writing the review I had to go back and search the names out again, despite just finishing the book mere minutes earlier.

Like now, I know I had more to add but it has fled my mind.

I've not had testing done, but I often feel like this. When I'm writing a review, or even trying to express myself in a discussion, I find it difficult to put into words what's going on in my head. Sometimes I'm really looking forward to writing a review, and then get frustrated when I can't put it across well. It's just one of the reasons why I've given it up.

Devi and Michelle,

Well, your reviews are always well done, and interesting.  So, in spite of everything, the ones you post have come out fine!

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.  :friends0:  :friends0:

This sounds awesome :D!! It's so nice she let you go through all the boxes and gave you a discount too! I'm glad you had fun :).

Yeah I loved it! Was too much fun :D

Ooh lucky you !!! What books did you get ?  :D

Now I think I found them all :giggle2: Its been awhile so I couldn't quite remember all the titles.

Non Fiction

Sniper - Adrian Gilbert

Snipers & Shooters - Bill Wallace

Fiction

The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

To Ride Hell's Chasm - Janny Wurts

I'd just checked my past post, and it turns out I had mentioned the books already, but didn't say how I got them.

Devi

I agree with the others . You book reviews sound fine to me . I'm sure it is frustrating to you if you have the thoughts in your head ,but have trouble transferring them to print .

The bookstore adventure sure sounds like fun !

I think we'd all like to have that opportunity .    :)

I've not had testing done, but I often feel like this. When I'm writing a review, or even trying to express myself in a discussion, I find it difficult to put into words what's going on in my head. Sometimes I'm really looking forward to writing a review, and then get frustrated when I can't put it across well. It's just one of the reasons why I've given it up.

Devi and Michelle,

Well, your reviews are always well done, and interesting.  So, in spite of everything, the ones you post have come out fine!

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.  :friends0:  :friends0:

I'll answer the last three people in one comment.

Thanks Julie.  :friends0:

Yep, its very frustrating. I don't know about you Michelle but I feel the people I meet and talk to think I am not as smart as I am, and just instantly push me aside and mark me as a dumb brunette. It really gets to me when I can't express myself the way I want. :(

Its like my mind and hands are getting wires crossed.

When I had the test it showed I had a higher than expected vocabulary (meaning of words) - which they think is thanks to my reading over the years. But my working memory is where this all comes in - the problem with trying to get what I have in my head across to my mouth and hands.

Even now I am struggling to try and get what its like across in the right words.

In book buying news:

I bought Hotel Kerobokan - Katheryn Bonella which is on my wishlist.

Also our local bookshop is having a huge sale with up to 80% off books this saturday! Some as low as $3 - and guess who is going with a wallet full of cash and wishlist in hand.  ;)

I'm going to try and stick to my 'it has to be on the wishlist' purchase rule... hmm.

Edited by Devi

Yep, its very frustrating. I don't know about you Michelle but I feel the people I meet and talk to think I am not as smart as I am, and just instantly push me aside and mark me as a dumb brunette. It really gets to me when I can't express myself the way I want. :(

Its like my mind and hands are getting wires crossed.

Dumb brunette? lol, yep, that'll be me too! In conversation I'm not too bad, but I can't put my thoughts across if feeling stressed, such as a debate or argument. It's writing things down which is worse for me - I rarely feel I'm written what was in my head!

I sometimes feel dumb when talking while I'm stressed (to people I don't know well), however writing is a lot easier for me since I have some time to think about it. Then I usually can filter out all the mistakes and silly things I would've said. I have said some really silly things, when stressed and tired :blush:.

It must be frustrating for both of you :(.

Dumb brunette? lol, yep, that'll be me too! In conversation I'm not too bad, but I can't put my thoughts across if feeling stressed, such as a debate or argument. It's writing things down which is worse for me - I rarely feel I'm written what was in my head!

Yeah writing is my bigger issue too, especially when I forget to spell simple words. I am forever grateful I have google on hand - cant believe I just said that :giggle2:. Most days lately though when I speak its like my words fall over themselves trying to get out. Not the best impression to make when meeting new people.

I've made a start on Hotel Kerobokan - I couldn't help myself. We were waiting for our take out to be cooked so I sat in the car (in my pjs, my partner went in) and read the forward and the first three chapters. Wow. Already I can see what a horrible place it is, and while I felt neither here nor there for Schapelle Corby - I sure do feel sorry for her now. I had no idea a place could be this bad.

The book fairy was by today! I haven't been through them all yet.

0f4dd28b9fb271711a23b32161ea77bc_zpsb08a

Edited by Devi

By the looks of it you have some awesome books there! I look forward to see the list and what you think of them when you read them.

I see some Peter F. Hamilton books and a book by Tad Williams, have you read other books by these authors? What about David and Leigh Eddings (I have the exact same edition of The Treasured Ones btw, from what I can see), Raymond E. Feist and Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson? I also see a book by Danielle Steel, I own two books by her but haven't read them yet, have you read any books by this author? I also see a book by Ian Irvine, I haven't read most of the books I own by him (I own a few of them), do you like them or have you not read anything by him yet?

Ok, that's enough rambling and drooling over the picture! There may be more I recognise but I don't want to overflow you with questions XD :blush:.

That's just how i feel, i find it hard not to repeat myself as well ... great characters, fast paced etc. etc. I'm really envious of people who find reviews easy to write.

Now I think I found them all :giggle2: Its been awhile so I couldn't quite remember all the titles.

Non Fiction

Sniper - Adrian Gilbert

Snipers & Shooters - Bill Wallace

Fiction

The Last Templar - Raymond Khoury

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory

To Ride Hell's Chasm - Janny Wurts

I'd just checked my past post, and it turns out I had mentioned the books already, but didn't say how I got them.

I don't know the other books but i have The Other Boleyn Girl on my TBR pile as well  :smile:

Great photo by the way, i want a book fairy too  :D

I'll write up a book list the fairy bought me asap.

Meanwhile, I got this one for my partner - I had to pry it out of his hands to take the photo! :giggle2:

75f5e0c8f998126361678d6140488518_zpse3e9

Rather detailed book, explains about the tactics, equipment and training the army was given, and gives details from the very early form of the first armed citizens, to the heights of the imperial legions.

That sale I mentioned a page ago has been and gone. I got 7 books (2 were my partners) for $36 - which is a bargain if you know our standard book prices :giggle2:

Robert Harris - Imperium ~ paperback version (I have trouble with holding hardback editions).

Z - Michael Thomas Ford ~ partner picked this one, said he thought he saw it on my list, turns out its not.

Princeps Fury - Jim Butcher

First Lord's Fury - Jim Butcher ~ these last two were suggested to me by the owner of the shop. We talk often about books and I find she is generally honest when it comes to her recommendations. I was in two minds on whether to get them as they are book five and six, but at $5 each ($20 normally), I figured why not. Even BD couldn't beat that. 

ETA:

Un lun dun - China Mieville

Edited by Devi

Oh I forgot to mention Un lun dun - China Mieville. I thought it sounded rather interesting when I read the synopsis on the day.

from goodreads:

What is Un Lun Dun?

It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too–including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book.

When twelve-year-old Zanna and her friend Deeba find a secret entrance leading out of London and into this strange city, it seems that the ancient prophecy is coming true at last. But then things begin to go shockingly wrong.