Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

Pemberley   3/6

Anne Tennant

While I did find this book much better than Death At Pemberley (and therefore, I now realise, rated Death at Pemberley far too highly) it highlighted the same fact that now Lizzie Bennet is married she more or less ceases to be an interesting character.  It's all about what her husband wants and does and she follows him about worrying and having her own negative thoughts, most of which  Darcy is completely oblivious of anyway.

The author has injected quite a lot of humour into the plot, contriving a situation where every character is in the same place at the same time despite their differences, and the result is genuinely funny, like a situation comedy. But the subtlety of the original story is lost.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to pop this on my wish list VF as I actually enjoyed the film! I need to know why they missed the point now!

I will watch the film myself again too. Then we can both compare what we think of both versions!

No Nice Girl Swears   2/6

Alice Leon Moats

This is a reprint of a 1930s book. The author was a journalist and the book was originally a  humorous  weekly newspaper column about ettiquette for society girls which ran for many years in the '20s and '30s.

I could see the humour in it, and many young girls of today could pick up a few points about better manners, but that world no longer exists so not greatly relevant. 

My main purpose in reading was to compare to the manners of the previous Victorian era and note how it had changed in a few short years. I picked this one up for 20p  which was a bargain but I would not go out my way to get hold of this at any price.

The Lost Continent   4/6

Bill Bryson.

Very funny book, and the first "travel Bryson" I have read, which  was different to his sciencey books.

It really did show an interesting side to America . I had no idea how truly vast America is and how (to us) underpopulated and empty most of it is especially in the middle. I have seen it in films of course but it doesn't really register;  can you imagine living in a town with only a hundred or so people in it and the next town in any direction is 50 or a hundred miles away?

My mind boggles!

This must also happen the other way around.

I understand now something that happened  about 10 years ago when I was a delivery postman. An agency  girl of about 19 or 20 came into our depot to work . She was a student  from rural Canada and had only been in the country a couple of days .  She was going to do part of a postal delivery. I helped her sort her round out into streets, the letters into bundles etc.  

She asked if every house had a mailbox outside it  so I had to explain that no, even though we call them letter boxes , in this country they are just a flap in the front door and the postman has to walk right up to each door to put the letters through the flap.

She got that and got taken away in a van to be dropped off  in the street where her round started. (it was only a small round of a few streets )

About an hour later I was still in the depot when the girl came back completely distraught, crying and in a complete funk.  

She couldn't do it. Not because she was stupid (many postmen are completely stupid. It helps) but because she had been completely overwhelmed by culture shock . So many small houses all touching each other , hundreds just in one street...she couldn't handle the close packed enormity of it even though it is nothing to us..

Anyway back to the book, I liked it and would read any other Bryson which came through my hands.

I have that one as well it's book 3 or 4 in the Carlingford Chronicles, all her books are out of print now but when you go back i'd look for Salem's Chapel that's a really good read  :smile:

Anything with the word Salem in it reminds me of both witches and vampires running amok so I certainly would have noticed if that one was there; thanks for the tip. Is it you Kidsmum who collects the Sharpe books? Odd juxtaposition of fave authors there. Which is great! 

I have been very good lately hardly spending any money and I had £30 sitting in my hobbies account for a couple of  months didn't touch it...then saturday night got bored at work and went onto Amazon.....you can guess the rest :doh:  

Do you want me to send you Girl Meets Boy Frankie? Or do you already have it? I seem to remember we were going to do some sort of a swop or something a few months back.  If you have it just GO and READ it girl NOW .  It will make you feel very happy like all the bad things in the world will take care of themselves as long as love is not forgotten in the world.

Sorry to get back to you on this so late, I've been horrible at keeping up with people's reading logs, I blame my mojo for it! I'm slowly but very unsurely getting back to reading people's logs ... I don't have a copy of Girl Meets Boy and the library has no copies either. Where can I see your wishlist to see if I would have anything to trade it for? Or maybe you have already given the book away :) No worries!

Bonk   5/6

Mary Roach

Well Mary Roach  that fearless and funny science writer has done it again.  She tackles the subjects that other science writers  fear to even look at.  Part of the fun of reading this author is the way she totally gets immersed into the subject she is researching and her long-suffering husband Bob often gets dragged into it too.  The things poor Bob had to do for the sake of science in this book had me in stitches.

Sex researchers I found out are a completely crazy bunch of people unlike any other scientists.

The book taught me a lot I did not know about human sexuality. I mean, I am 52, I have had 6 kids, I thought I had a pretty Ok working knowledge.

Some of the parts were very uncomfortable reading for a male.

In some passages I could literally feel my personal bits  shrinking trying to get back inside my body and as small as possible at the thought of what I was reading!

Other bits about women's bodies I just found fascinating.

This book is every bit as good as Packing For Mars.

Thanks to Sofia for sending me this copy . 

Kylie kindly sent me a copy of this some time ago and I'm very much looking forward to it, but haven't gotten around to picking it up yet. Maybe this book would do my mojo some good :D  I have to confess: I don't remember if you've read Stiff yet? If not, you really, really need to read that book soon! :)

I'm intrigued by Bonk! :giggle2:  I'm going to go and check that one out on Amazon!

ETA:  I've added Bonk too.  :)

I've ordered it, should arrive Tuesday....to join the list.  lol

Heheeee, well done Voddy :D

F

The Book Club Bible  £0.20

Girl, Interrupted  £0.20

The Northamptonshire Village Book £0.20

Shout At The Devil £0.20

Thieves' Kitchen £0.20

The Lost Continent £0.20

The Crowded Street £0.20

Mrs Oliphant £0.20

Round the Bend £0.20

Sophies' World £0.20  (for daughter for the philosophy)

A Special Relationship £00 (picked up at work)

Excellent book haul! And bloody hell, very cheap copies, as well. :smile2:

Book shelf space is becoming an issue again. I am reading at a good rate but I am buying at the same rate. And the problem is that all the historical books   I am reading are all keepers. I now have more in my TBR pile than I can possibly read this year.

But surely you can fit all your books in that big ass bookcase of yours... :shrug::giggle2: 

Girl, Interrupted is based on the authors stay in a mental hospital, think it was in the 1960's or 70's, so very typical of the level of care of the time.. Have got the book bible out again, I don't think I have read that many of them, but like you I have liked the synopses I have read.. I should make a list, I like lists. :)

Ah, so it was based on Voddy's review that you got a copy. I hope it's good, I've wanted to read it for ages. (It's on the Rory Gilmore book list, that's why!)

Girl , Interrupted      6/6

Susanna Kayson

I had to give this book top marks without quite knowing why. I think it is because I am reading a quantum theory book at the same time and I was captivated by the  similarities; for instance the way Kayson describes mental illness as being in a parallel world alongside this one. That no one reality is true, it is just most of the time a majority vote.

This whole concept was exciting in the same way that Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas was. I read the book in a couple of hours and then went back to re-read certain parts.

The book is completely different to the film, which bears almost no relation and is more about Angelina Jolie's character. I was never a particular fan of the film and now I dislike it intensely because they have missed the whole point. 

I passed this book straight on to Thoughtful Daughter and she was hooked from page 1.

Kayson has some things to say at the end as to the new "catch-all " diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. In the 19th century it was diagnosed as "Hysteria" and Victorian men used to lock up their wives and daughters according to this doctrine....it is almost always women that are diagnosed thus, so can be viewed  as another of society's methods of control.

This really sounds like a great read, I'm happy you enjoyd reading it :)

I have been very good lately hardly spending any money and I had £30 sitting in my hobbies account for a couple of  months didn't touch it...then saturday night got bored at work and went onto Amazon.....you can guess the rest :doh:  

Well...? What did you buy?? Don't leave us hanging like that!

Ok I got:

Up The Line  Robert Silverberg (time travel )

More Victorian social history:

Consuming Passions: Leisure and Pleasure In Victorian Britain Judith Flanders

Inventing The Victorians

Enquire Within Upon Everything 1890

For the kindle I got a whole bunch of  either very cheap or free Victorian steampunk titles :

The Steampunk megapack (26 stories)

Viridis

Lady Of Devices A Steampunk Adventure

Steampunk Erotica

The Monster In The Mist (Chronological Man)

I am expecting some of these to be dire.....

Sounds like a great haul, and rather nicely mixed! I like the sound of these:

Inventing The Victorians

I'll see how you like them when you get to them and then see if I could find copies at the library. Happy reading Voddy :)

Sounds like a great haul, and rather nicely mixed! I like the sound of these:

Inventing The Victorians

I'll see how you like them when you get to them and then see if I could find copies at the library. Happy reading Voddy :)

The Judith Flanders one has mixed reviews in Amazon, but I liked her The Victorian House so I thought I would risk it.

I still have Girl Meets Boy by the way so I will PM you about that.

Anything with the word Salem in it reminds me of both witches and vampires running amok so I certainly would have noticed if that one was there; thanks for the tip. Is it you Kidsmum who collects the Sharpe books? Odd juxtaposition of fave authors there. Which is great! 

Yes it's me who likes Sharpe, actually i haven't read any in awhile keep thinking i need to get back to the series but i have to be in the right mood for a Sharpe book  :smile: Definitely no witches or vampires in Mrs Oliphant's books. Speaking of the work of the devil though if you have a kindle i'm sure Janet said she was able to get Mrs Oliphants books for free  :P

Yes it's me who likes Sharpe, actually i haven't read any in awhile keep thinking i need to get back to the series but i have to be in the right mood for a Sharpe book  :smile: Definitely no witches or vampires in Mrs Oliphant's books. Speaking of the work of the devil though if you have a kindle i'm sure Janet said she was able to get Mrs Oliphants books for free  :P

Oh my gosh yes of course they would be. :doh:  I never thought to check. Picked up all my Wilkie Collins and Dickens and Austen that way. Kindle comes into its own if you like classics :D

This Book Will Save Your Life   2/6

A. M. Holmes

Well with a title like that I couldn't not read it could I ?

This also fitted in well with the themes in Warrior and Girl, Interrupted. (I tend to read books in clusters that have somewhat related themes)

As soon as I started reading it I had the weird feeling I was reading The Dice Man all over again, even though I read that book about 30 years ago.

A rich man in his isolated house on a hill in LA one day has a sort of breakdown. He is in overwhelming pain and starts to cry. He realises that  he has lots of money but he knows no one and sees no one except his housekeeper and his nutritionist. He realises that he has done this to himself over many years. It is a special sort of LA mental illness. Everybody functions and is successful but everybody is messed up and alone.

This is about his struggle to reconnect with people  around him.

The book is OK but  I am sorry to say nothing special. My problem with it is that there was no real conflict in the story, it was all very easy for him as he had so much money he just had to think about a thing and it was done. Rent a beach house by the sea for 3 months? Easy. Buy someone a car as a gift ? of course you will make a friend that way. It got a bit more interesting when his son came out to visit.

I can see that the author was trying to put over some human truths and that was a noble aim so I am not dissing the book completely. I just could not identify with the principle character. 

Edited by vodkafan

Warrior   3/6

Geoff Thompson

I had heard of this author before.  He is about the same age as me. He was a celebrated nightclub bouncer  in Coventry (10 miles away) but he seems to have become a sort of martial arts teacher and now a   film screenwriter and self help guru while I wasn't looking .

This book is about living your life with integrity , looking after your body and directing your energies. If this was easy of course he would not have to right a book about it!  There are many pitfalls , addictions, junk TV, the seductive culture of instant gratification. We have grown weak, soft and lazy.

I cannot say that none of the lessons in the book did not apply to me. They all did!

At the end of each chapter are simple tasks like making lists and action plans.  I did not do any of these as this first time I just wanted to  read it through as a book rather than use it as a manual. But certain parts have stuck in my mind and I think I will  reread this again at some point and incorporate some elements. 

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You    5/6

Marcus Chowns

My  Big Son's original degree is Science Communication  (which means writing about science so that ordinary people can understand it) which is why I like to read this type of book.

Marcus Chowns has a different  style again to Mary Roach and Bill Bryson. Even the scientists don't understand Quantum theory so Marcus breaks everything down into little examples and anologies one concept at a time. I still found it best to read only one or two chapters at a time though and let things sink in.

I enjoyed this book and if his other books are similar then Mr Chowns could become my favourite science writer  . 

This Book Will Save Your Life   3/6

A. M. Holmes

There was so much hype about this book several years ago so when I started reading it, I was expecting something very deep and moving, and life-changing. Needless to say I was disappointed (could be my fault for believing the hype) and never ended up finishing the book. In fact, I don't think I even made it half-way!!

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You    5/6

Marcus Chowns

I've added this to my wishlist as I like science books that are communicated for the layperson. :smile:

There was so much hype about this book several years ago so when I started reading it, I was expecting something very deep and moving, and life-changing. Needless to say I was disappointed (could be my fault for believing the hype) and never ended up finishing the book. In fact, I don't think I even made it half-way!!

I can see what you mean about the hype, the back cover blurb really bigged it up (which did make me buy it out curiosity I must admit) . It did get better in the second half  but you probably did the right thing.  Having read it certainly won't change my life.

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You sounds like an interesting book, the problem is I've been educated in quantum theory on a university level, so the problem with a lot of science non-fiction books is that they don't teach me much new things. Edited by Athena

Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You sounds like an interesting book, the problem is I've been educated in quantum theory on a university level, so the problem with a lot of science non-fiction books is that they don't teach me much new things.

Any that you'd recommend for a non-physicist?