Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

The City on the Edge of Forever is one of my all time favorite episodes.  It is heartrending.  And, it features a young, and very beautiful Joan Collins in a serious and studious light. All of the actors turned in stellar performances.  It also introduced a planetary sort of character that persists in Trek Legend to this day.  The Guardian of Forever.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:giggle:

I`m just hoping to get my TBR down below 700 ; right now, I`m having to forcibly restrain myself from going on Amazon and ordering another book.

Oh, it`s this one.   Must. Not.Order... :blush2:

:blush2:  I'd not mind getting my TBR down to 700.  Oy.

Be. Strong!  heh :angel_not:

:giggle:

I`m just hoping to get my TBR down below 700 ; right now, I`m having to forcibly restrain myself from going on Amazon and ordering another book.

Oh, it`s this one.   Must. Not.Order... :blush2:

It's got lots of good reviews Little Pixie and what a nice cover picture.....I'm not helping am I ?

Just So Kylie! I also postulate that The Defender Of Books should take on an apprentice. I imagine that one day a half starved shoeless girl waif will wander in to your garden from the outback desert, scratched by thorns and covered in Dingo bites. She has obviously befell some terrible calamity but questioning her is fruitless; she has perhaps mercifully lost her memory of events.

She does not speak or smile. Her eyes betray no inner life of any kind; The policemen and doctors scratch their heads and eventually take their leave to pursue matters of importance elsewhere.

You give her a glass of milk and take her into your library where she is immediately lost in wonderment at so many thousands of books. It is the first time she has reacted to her surroundings. The air suddenly vibrates with destiny. You sense that her world is on a knife edge; your next actions could tip her one way or another.

You pick a book at random and with the book between you begin to read a page, two pages. You are sure that the girl understands. At the third page she lifts a small hand and places it lightly on the open page, as if feeling the words and sentences.

Her eyes look at you for the first time and she smiles a small sad smile.

Very well then! Books shall be her therapy.

The Defender Of Books has found her apprentice.

Edited by vodkafan

The Durdane Trilogy            Jack Vance

The Anome                    3/6

The Brave Free Men      4/6

The Asutra                     2/6

I thought that I would  review this all in one.  Although I knew of this series I had never got to read it, I could never get hold of the books in paperback. So I was especially looking forward to checking this out and snapped it up when it became available on kindle. 

It's very hard to write a review of a trilogy without giving away plot details, so I will keep it very general and just set the scene.

The events start on the planet Durdane. A thousand years in the past the inhabitants of one continent Shant fought a disastrous war with a neighbour state which ended in a stalemate, each combatant withdrawing within his own borders. The government of Shant collapsed internally and a new civil war started lasting a hundred years. Eventually a new system of benign dictatorship was instituted under a single "Faceless Man" or The Anome. Every citizen of Shant wore a torc filled with explosive that the Anome or his agents  could detonate to blow off the head of the wearer. The Anome's instant justice had bought peace for hundreds of years. 

However, the young runaway Gastal Etzwane is dissatisfied with the system. But first he must find out who the Anome is....

Like most Jack Vance stories, there is not too much character development and the narrative is fast and plot driven. I think he wrote this series when he was slowing down a bit, perhaps a bit lazy and I was a bit dismayed to see him re-using  some plot devices that had appeared to better effect in his earlier books.  So the first book was nothing really that special.  In the second book there is a welcome return to his usual form , and an interesting plot twist, the seeds of which were in the first book unseen all the time.

The third book however, I must say was a disappointment.  It is as if Vance got to a point  (which should have been) three quarters in and got bored of writing it. So then he literally wrapped up the whole thing- this huge rip-roaring planet wide tale- in two pages. I couldn't believe it!!  I was gutted.

Even as a Jack Vance fanboy, I cannot decently give this one a glowing review.

Edited by vodkafan

Dream Science              3/6

Thomas Palmer

This book was recommended to me by gardengirl. I like stories that turn things up on their head and make you look at the world in a different way; in other words, a bit surreal. 

This story certainly  scores high on the strangeness factor. I liked the first half of the book much better, when you don't understand what is happening. But as the book went on I had to decide if I accepted the author's view of what was happening or not. And sadly it didn't quite hang together for me, because I could not figure out the "rules" or parameters of the new existence- the author seemed to add something new in every now and then which explained nothing.

Add to this was the fact that Rocker was different to everybody else 

he was able to get back home whereas the rest of the human race could not

and the reason for this difference was never explained. 

Finally I can't decide about the ending- did Rocker do a good thing or a completely selfish thing ?

Still, this book was worth a read so thanks to gardengirl for bringing it to my attention.

Edited by vodkafan

That's a shame VF, I thought you would like it, but hey it didn't cost a lot to buy. I liked the fact that nothing was explained but just happened! We don't know that Rocker was the only one that hopped between worlds, there were people wherever he was , so maybe they did?For me, the power in the story is that awful suspension of all the rules, so that there are no parameters, but that your whole world [and idea of what the world is] is stood on it's head! It's certainly a 'stand out' book for me, because I have never read anything like it before. Yes, surreal is the right word I think, and I agree 'did Rocker do the right thing'....... what is the right thing?   [into semantics here.]  :D

That's a shame VF, I thought you would like it, but hey it didn't cost a lot to buy. I liked the fact that nothing was explained but just happened! We don't know that Rocker was the only one that hopped between worlds, there were people wherever he was , so maybe they did?For me, the power in the story is that awful suspension of all the rules, so that there are no parameters, but that your whole world [and idea of what the world is] is stood on it's head! It's certainly a 'stand out' book for me, because I have never read anything like it before. Yes, surreal is the right word I think, and I agree 'did Rocker do the right thing'....... what is the right thing?   [into semantics here.]  :D

Hi gardengirl I just sent you a pm to discuss the book further...

I am currently reading the Demon Princes novels again by Jack Vance. Haven't read these since I was a kid. They are classic Vance and much better than the lacklustre Durdane trilogy. Thanks to having plenty to read I have not been tempted into browsing or buying from charity shops.

James,      that's quite a mix of genre and writing style, I know, light reading and now for something more highbrow? I have just finished reading Revelation by C.J. Sansom and could now do with a light funny read like P.G. Wodehouse! :blush2:

Edited by gardengirl

James,      that's quite a mix of genre and writing style, I know, light reading and now for something more highbrow? I have just finished reading Revelation by C.J. Sansom and could now do with a light funny read like P.G. Wodehouse! :blush2:

Hi gardengirl, I like to mix things up , especially this year there is no plan. Previous years have been more structured.

Yesterday I just finished my 88th book this year! Looks like I am going to smash through my target of 104 (two books a week)

The Demon Princes series     4.8/6 (averaged score!)

Jack Vance

The Star King             6/6

The Killing Machine     5/6

The Palace Of Love     4/6

The Face                    4/6

The Book Of Dreams   5/6 

Sorry, have to have a quick stroll down memory lane  before I can write this review, as I found this series originally when I was in my teens. Back then there was no amazon or central place where you could buy books easily, and after being hooked by the first one I read it was a case of hunting them down in bookshops in neighbouring towns and collecting them one by one over many months, none of them in the proper order . Can you imagine the excitement  of finding another one, knowing I would soon be transported into a totally strange world of fantastic imagination for a day or two ? I wanted to be Kirth Gerson so bad.

Anyway,  this time around I have read them all in the proper order. I was a little worried that after the dull Durdane Trilogy the Princes would not be as good as I remembered them.

It also gave me a chance to dissect Vance's storytelling style in a way I had not thought to do before.

I need not have worried though, this series is classic Vance. The plot is very simple and linear, which suits the dogged temperament of the main character, but with enough clever and unusual turns to always hold the interest . Character development is limited, and physical descriptions are short, but Vance seems to enjoy describing colours, clothes and food in more detail. But  he gives full rein to imagining utterly fantastic, breathtaking  alien worlds and  the human cultures that live on them, and that is Vance's complete charm; and you will either like that or you won't. He writes about these worlds with a lot of humour and each one seems crazier than the next; but they are so well thought out (in the original books they always had copious added footnotes throughout the story) that they do seem completely plausible. 

There is also just a bit of romance.

It is set in the future approx 1500 years after man has populated  a swathe of the galaxy and settled on a couple of hundred planets.  A faster than light drive called the Intersplit  allows travel between worlds as we would for instance travel between continents . Vance doesn't trouble himself with problems of relativity and time dilation that would ruin a story. The story throughout all 5 books is a simple one of revenge.  Kirth Gerson as a small child watched the complete destruction of his home planet as it was ransacked and the entire population enslaved and taken into space by an unholy coalition of five notorious space pirates.  All evil in their own rights, they had joined together for this heinous crime and thence became known as the Demon Princes: 

Attal Mallegate (Mallegate the Woe)

Kokor Hekkus

Voile Falushe

Lens Larque

Howard Alan Treesong.

The only survivors of their depredations are Kirth Gerson and his grandfather who can only watch from hiding. Consumed by hatred, Grandfather Gerson devotes the rest of his life to training Gerson into becoming an implacable assassin with a single purpose in life; to hunt down and kill each one of the Demon Princes.

The first book begins after the death of his grandfather and Gerson just starting out on his mission. Each book cocerns a different Demon Prince. Some of them are mad, some are just bad. All are dangerous.

Although the basic plot is unchanged , each book is different enough to keep the interest high.

I can say that enjoyed these immensely and they remain some of my favourite Jack Vance stories.

Edited by vodkafan

If I ever see any of Jack Vance's books in the charity shop I'll definately buy them! I haven't seen them anywhere so far (other than buying them second hand off Amazon Marketplace). Great review :).

Thanks Athena! Jack Vance books do seem popular in France for some reason but I don't know about Holland...and I suspect that his style wouldn't translate well out of English..though I know you do like to read in English anyway.

I noticed that The Casual Vacancy has gone down to £2.99 on kindle. However I had pledged when it came out that I would wait until I saw it in a charity shop and buy it from there.

Me too .. and I have seen it in charity shops but in hardback .. and I don't particularly like them .. unless they're pretty :blush2: Also my interest in it has been superceded by my interest in The Cuckoo's Calling  :D (I hope I don't get hurt whilst jumping from one bandwagon to another :giggle:)