Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Blackest Streets   5/6

Sarah Wise

This was an excellent book telling the story of a notorious part of  Victorian slum London. It's origins, the shameful reasons it became so decrepit (human greed basically) and most of all about the people who had to live out their (often short and brutal) lives there .

The death rate in the Nichol was twice that of anywhere else in poor London.

The poor were basically seen by Victorian society as being responsible for their own misfortune and left to fend for themselves, they were often seen as a criminal class.

The book offers evidence  that in fact only 5% of the very poor were parasitical criminals ( shockingly they preyed on the poor around them rather than on the rich) and most were hardworking  and honest though uneducated.

There was no shortage of well meaning people , some religious, some wealthy who tried to alleviate the suffering and it is interesting to read their histories too. Some of them shortened their own life spans by moving into the Nichol and living in amongst the poor.

There is also lots of social questions and examination of politics along the way but it is never dull and once started I just had to keep reading.  Some  Appendices  and an excellent bibliography at the end  generate further reading. 

Edited by vodkafan

Bonk   5/6

Mary Roach

Well Mary Roach  that fearless and funny science writer has done it again.  She tackles the subjects that other science writers  fear to even look at.  Part of the fun of reading this author is the way she totally gets immersed into the subject she is researching and her long-suffering husband Bob often gets dragged into it too.  The things poor Bob had to do for the sake of science in this book had me in stitches.

Sex researchers I found out are a completely crazy bunch of people unlike any other scientists.

The book taught me a lot I did not know about human sexuality. I mean, I am 52, I have had 6 kids, I thought I had a pretty Ok working knowledge.

Some of the parts were very uncomfortable reading for a male.

In some passages I could literally feel my personal bits  shrinking trying to get back inside my body and as small as possible at the thought of what I was reading!

Other bits about women's bodies I just found fascinating.

This book is every bit as good as Packing For Mars.

Thanks to Sofia for sending me this copy . 

The Blackest Streets   5/6

Sarah Wise

This was an excellent book telling the story of a notorious part of  Victorian slum London. It's origins, the shameful reasons it became so decrepit (human greed basically) and most of all about the people who had to live out their (often short and brutal) lives there .

The death rate in the Nichol was twice that of anywhere else in poor London.

The poor were basically seen by Victorian society as being responsible for their own misfortune and left to fend for themselves, they were often seen as a criminal class.

The book offers evidence  that in fact only 5% of the very poor were parasitical criminals ( shockingly they preyed on the poor around them rather than on the rich) and most were hardworking  and honest though uneducated.

There was no shortage of well meaning people , some religious, some wealthy who tried to alleviate the suffering and it is interesting to read their histories too. Some of them shortened their own life spans by moving into the Nichol and living in amongst the poor.

There is also lots of social questions and examination of politics along the way but it is never dull and once started I just had to keep reading.  Some  Appendices  and an excellent bibliography at the end  generate further reading. 

This sounds absolutely excellent. Gone on to my wishlist.

both Bonk and The Blackest Streets have been added to my wishlist! I don' know much about the Victorian slum London, but I already feel for the people. :(

Edited by Devi

Finished a couple more books and started some more. A recent second-hand purchase (20p) was The Book Club Bible. ( Has anybody else read this?) I have read most of it already last night sitting in the pub.  It has a non spoiler review of all the books mentioned . I now want to read every book in there that I have not already read (about 60%) 

Here is the whole haul from yesterday plus one I picked up at work:

The Book Club Bible  £0.20

Girl, Interrupted  £0.20

The Northamptonshire Village Book £0.20

Shout At The Devil £0.20

Thieves' Kitchen £0.20

The Lost Continent £0.20

The Crowded Street £0.20

Mrs Oliphant £0.20

Round the Bend £0.20

Sophies' World £0.20  (for daughter for the philosophy)

A Special Relationship £00 (picked up at work)

Edited by vodkafan

Book shelf space is becoming an issue again. I am reading at a good rate but I am buying at the same rate. And the problem is that all the historical books   I am reading are all keepers. I now have more in my TBR pile than I can possibly read this year.

I bought The Book Club bible a while ago but have only dipped into it so far.. There seems to be a more interesting selection of books in there than for example, the 1001 books to read before you die..

I haven't read Girl, Interrupted, but I did enjoy the film with Winona Ryder. :)

Hi chaliepud it has got me hooked. I like reading the synopses.

I can't decide whether Girl, Interrupted is fiction or autobiography or where it falls in between. I like it though. 

Hi chaliepud it has got me hooked. I like reading the synopses.

I can't decide whether Girl, Interrupted is fiction or autobiography or where it falls in between. I like it though. 

Girl, Interrupted is based on the authors stay in a mental hospital, think it was in the 1960's or 70's, so very typical of the level of care of the time.. Have got the book bible out again, I don't think I have read that many of them, but like you I have liked the synopses I have read.. I should make a list, I like lists. :)

I thought about getting Girl, Interrrupted but haven't done so yet. I look forward to read your thoughts on it, once you've read it.

The Book Club Bible sounds like an interesting book. According to Amazon, The Book Lovers' Companion is a newer version of it, so will have to see if I can buy that one sometime (it's been on my wishlist for a while). As Kindle edition only the former is available (on Amazon.com) but it costs about twice the price of the newer version in paperback (Amazon.co.uk).

The Blackest Streets is on my wishlist now too. My copy of Bleak House had a very interesting introducton & historical context chapter about what life was like for the poor in London in Dickensian times & it's definitely made me interested to find out more about this time period.

I'm so jealous of your Mrs Oliphant find for 20p - is it her biography - i've read a few of her books & it gives you a potted biography of her life at the front ; she comes across as a very strong & resourceful woman so i'll be interested to hear what you think of the book.

Kidsmum, the Mrs Oliphant book I found is The Perpetual Curate. It is a good thick one about 540 pages. I have no idea what to expect. Extraordinary that I have not heard of her before; apparently she wrote 100 books.

I have to go back to the recycling plant soon; there were many original Victorian books there. The place is one of the best hunting grounds for books I have ever been in.

Athena, I have just finished Girl, Interrupted. I will write a review soon. I enjoyed it.

I thought about getting Girl, Interrrupted but haven't done so yet. I look forward to read your thoughts on it, once you've read it.

The Book Club Bible sounds like an interesting book. According to Amazon, The Book Lovers' Companion is a newer version of it, so will have to see if I can buy that one sometime (it's been on my wishlist for a while). As Kindle edition only the former is available (on Amazon.com) but it costs about twice the price of the newer version in paperback (Amazon.co.uk).

I would most definitely go for the paperback one if it is cheaper. And I will be first to admit this sort of book is one that doesn't really work on kindle; you have to have it in your hands to be able to flick backwards and forwards.

Kidsmum, the Mrs Oliphant book I found is The Perpetual Curate. It is a good thick one about 540 pages. I have no idea what to expect. Extraordinary that I have not heard of her before; apparently she wrote 100 books.

I have to go back to the recycling plant soon; there were many original Victorian books there. The place is one of the best hunting grounds for books I have ever been in.

I have that one as well it's book 3 or 4 in the Carlingford Chronicles, all her books are out of print now but when you go back i'd look for Salem's Chapel that's a really good read  :smile:

Girl , Interrupted      6/6

Susanna Kayson

I had to give this book top marks without quite knowing why. I think it is because I am reading a quantum theory book at the same time and I was captivated by the  similarities; for instance the way Kayson describes mental illness as being in a parallel world alongside this one. That no one reality is true, it is just most of the time a majority vote.

This whole concept was exciting in the same way that Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas was. I read the book in a couple of hours and then went back to re-read certain parts.

The book is completely different to the film, which bears almost no relation and is more about Angelina Jolie's character. I was never a particular fan of the film and now I dislike it intensely because they have missed the whole point. 

I passed this book straight on to Thoughtful Daughter and she was hooked from page 1.

Kayson has some things to say at the end as to the new "catch-all " diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder. In the 19th century it was diagnosed as "Hysteria" and Victorian men used to lock up their wives and daughters according to this doctrine....it is almost always women that are diagnosed thus, so can be viewed  as another of society's methods of control.

Edited by vodkafan