Vodkafan's book list 2013

vodkafan

Sorry :(. I haven't fully read a lot of books about this subject, because judging by their synopses and flicking through them it seemed too easy for me. I've seen some good ones, but I can't remember any titles or anything, sorry :(.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millenium   3/6

John Varley

This was a re-read for me, a short little time-travel SF novel I first read about 30 years ago. Up to then all the SF I had read had been written in the 50's and 60s, Asimov.Clark, Vance,  Van Vogt, Moorcock. So this book and the concepts in it came as a bit of a shock.  I quickly got hold of another Varley book which was a load of short stories . My dad did not like John Varley at all.

This book was later made into a truly awful film that everyone wanted to disown and has been forgotten.

The book is not too bad though.

To Miss With Love  5/6

Katherine Birbalsingh

This is the book written by the celebrated teacher who spoke up at the 2010 Tory Party Conference about the state of education and consequently lost her job.

Afetr reading the book this seems deliberate spite on the part of the Government.

It was originally written as an anonymous internet blog and everybody in it has a pseudonym. The blog was not written for laughs  but as a true record of life in an inner city London school. As such I found it truly depressing and frightening.

I hope this fine teacher is doing something good.

I've read hardly any SF books but i do have Dune Frank Herbert on my TBR pile. Do you think this is one that would appeal to a not very keen on SF sort of person like myself ?  :blush2:

I've read hardly any SF books but i do have Dune Frank Herbert on my TBR pile. Do you think this is one that would appeal to a not very keen on SF sort of person like myself ?  :blush2:

I've read very little sci-fi, with the number of books I've enjoyed probably countable on one hand, but this was one of them.  It's a few years since I read it though (20-30?!).

Kidsmum, Frank Herbert is a very readable SF author. Stories like the Green Brain are not heavy on "Sciencey" elements at all. I would not hesitate to recommend him to you at all .

But Dune is the one that everybody argues about! It is a novel with a huge cult following. You will either really like it or you won't get into it at all is my guess. Impossible to say. I am excited that you want to try though. doowapstart.gif

Ask Karsa for his opinion he is fond of this book I think.

I liked the book and the film.

I liked Dune, it's quite different from the usual science-fiction books imo. There were a few areas where I had a bit of trouble following the English book (I read the Dutch book when I was 15ish and liked it). I didn't really care for the sequels when I was 15, however having seen the TV series (that I liked) I would like to take another go at reading more of the books.

I liked Dune, it's quite different from the usual science-fiction books imo. There were a few areas where I had a bit of trouble following the English book (I read the Dutch book when I was 15ish and liked it). I didn't really care for the sequels when I was 15, however having seen the TV series (that I liked) I would like to take another go at reading more of the books.

Yes it's the sequels that divide most peoples opinions. You have both made me want to read Dune again now .

Dune has been on my TBR list for a long time. I've had the book on my shelf for probably over 10 years. :hide:  Not sure why, but I'm a bit nervous about starting it.

Well it's a bit on the thick side for a start would make a good doorstop that is always a bit intimidating no matter what the book.

Dune has been on my TBR list for a long time. I've had the book on my shelf for probably over 10 years. :hide:  Not sure why, but I'm a bit nervous about starting it.

This is the same for me.

Well it's a bit on the thick side for a start would make a good doorstop that is always a bit intimidating no matter what the book.

I've read thicker books - I think it's more that I have heard it's quite complex, and I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with what's going on, especially if there are many oddly named characters and places. :o

I didn't have that much problem with the oddly named characters, I've read more books which have that. It is a bit complex but I was able to follow most of the story when I read it the first time, when I was 15. I don't know what that tells you though as I'm pretty intelligent (sorry if this comes off as arrogant! :blush:), I can't judge how well you normally fare with this type of thing but just thought my information might help :). Maybe one day you can give it a try. I understand being intimidated by a book though, many classics intimidate me (ie. Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace, that seems a complicated and big book to me).

Edited by Athena

I understand being intimidated by a book though, many classics intimidate me (ie. Leo Tolstoy - War and Peace, that seems a complicated and big book to me).

It's rarely the big books that are difficult. Yes, there's more room for plotting, but there's also more room for an author to expand and space for the reader to get to grips with it. Size is not a problem. The toughest books are often the slim ones. (Most difficult novel I've read recently is The Waves, and it was only just over 200 pages).

Nothing to be intimidated about in Dune, or indeed in War and Peace (both of which I read as a teenager, W&P again a couple of years ago). They are both great books, with great stories and great ideas - plenty to get one's teeth into. Enjoy!

Kidsmum, Frank Herbert is a very readable SF author. Stories like the Green Brain are not heavy on "Sciencey" elements at all. I would not hesitate to recommend him to you at all .

But Dune is the one that everybody argues about! It is a novel with a huge cult following. You will either really like it or you won't get into it at all is my guess. Impossible to say. I am excited that you want to try though. doowapstart.gif

Ask Karsa for his opinion he is fond of this book I think.

I liked the book and the film.

I don't think i'll ever be a SF fan but i would like to dabble my toe in the water now & again so i shall give Dune a try  :smile:

Me too, i'm frightened that it'll  be a mojo killer that's why it''s been on my shelf for so long  :o

Yes it was a thick book with oddly named characters etc. but it does seem to pull it all together by the last page

I find odd names can put me off a book if i can't pronounce them then for some reason that seems to stop me from getting into the characters  :smile:

Nothing to be intimidated about in Dune, or indeed in War and Peace (both of which I read as a teenager, W&P again a couple of years ago). They are both great books, with great stories and great ideas - plenty to get one's teeth into. Enjoy!

I feel reassured  :D

x

That's great to hear! :)

I find odd names can put me off a book if i can't pronounce them then for some reason that seems to stop me from getting into the characters  :smile:

Funny that: I find that I tend to skim over names, and often can't remember them afterwards. When I've looked at how I cope when reading the book, I think I recognise the physical pattern created by the letters, but don't have any sound of the name in my head. So if I see the name, I'll know straightaway who is being talked about, even a while after reading a book.

But then, whilst I'm good at remembering people's names in the short term (I used to lead courses with up to 30 participants and be able to remember every name after the first 5-10 minutes), I'm lousy in the short term (I'd forget them all within a day or so). But I can remember a face or numbers months/years later.

Maybe I should sound the names out?

Edited by willoyd

Funny that: I find that I tend to skim over names, and often can't remember them afterwards. When I've looked at how I cope when reading the book, I think I recognise the physical pattern created by the letters, but don't have any sound of the name in my head.

I must do the same, as often when I put a book down I can't recall any character's names, even if they are mentioned on every page. Lately I have tried to consciously remember the names, as in stopping and actually mentally noting it. It seems to help, as I remember the characters of the book I'm reading now. It does take a conscious effort though!

I don't think i'll ever be a SF fan but i would like to dabble my toe in the water now & again so i shall give Dune a try  :smile:

This sounds a bit like me a year ago when I started making comments about some people's sci-fi/fantasy books... I got into a reading challenge which I think 'broadened my horizons' a bit but I'm still a bit hesitant everytime it comes to sci-fi/fantasy... Maybe you'd be into a reading challenge? :D (All in good humour, no pressure or anything!)

I have just ordered me some second hand Frank Herbert: Dune, The Green Brain and The Heaven Makers plus the Dune DVD. I am really looking forward to reading them, although I have read them all before years ago.

Also on a trip out yesterday with the kids I treated myself to a primer on Western philosophy for only £3.99

Philosophy 100 Essential Thinkers. This looks easy to follow and  places each thinker within their particular tradition or school of thought. 

Edited by vodkafan

One trouble with many of the books I am reading now is that they are "keepers". So this month I am making an effort to read a few from my TBR that I know I won't want to keep, in order to free up some shelf space (and preserve sanity).

First of this type I have just finished: Survival Of The Fittest by Jonathon  Kellerman. I can't remember how I got hold of the book. It was OK. Will review it soon. 

Aw man.....6 more books for the pile.  Because it was sunny day the charity shops had their books outside the shops in boxes and they seemed to just flutter and attach themselves to my hand as I went past....good job I only had a couple of quid in my pocket.

Love-act   M.E. Austen 

It's A Small Medium And Outsize World  John Taylor

Good Behaviour  Molly Keane

The Rituals Of Infinity Michael Moorcock

The Duelling Machine  Ben Bova

The Siege Of Krishnapur J.G. Farrell