Your Book Activity ~ November 2012

Kylie

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen today and received Ripley Under Water by Patricia Highsmith in the mail (I originally ordered this two months ago but it never arrived, so the BD kindley resent it).

Reading more of Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. I keep second guessing what is happening to the characters, because of an earlier twist. I keep getting it wrong though - I'm so hopeless. :giggle2: I may have to renew it at the library, as it's due on Saturday and I doubt I will finish it by then.

I agree. What I also love about the 'olden days' books is that there are no electric gadgets, people still get handwritten letters and they are devoured and cherished. *sigh* It's just so much more romantic!

Uh, my country might be known for the cold and snow, but I live in the one tiny part that has a relatively mild climate where we see very little snow compared to the rest of the country, or even the rest of our province (think, states or counties if the term "province" isn't familiar) and I did spend most of my childhood growing up without central heating. First it was a fireplace in one house, and then a pot-bellied stove in another. And let me tell, there was nothing even remotely romantic it about it! Neither heated anywhere close to all the rooms. And chopping wood, cleaning out ashes and soot, not to mention what it does to your walls and furniture if you don't obsessively clean all day every day, is a bloody nightmare.

For year with pot belly stove we also didn't have electricity so had to cook on it several times a day and heat water for all our needs on it. Have you got any idea just how long it takes to heat enough water to even have a lukewarm bath in tub half full? Or what's it's like to have a burning hot stove going in the middle of summer when it's 85 degrees outside? Trust me, you don't want to know!

Sorry, but I'll take all my modern comforts over the "good old days" anytime! The first thing I did when we moved into our current rental 11 years ago was block the fireplace with furniture. Hubby thought it would be nice too, but then he never had to care for one or deal with work it caused around the house. Now if I could afford one of those pretty, electric fake fires so times like Xmas, I'd do that. But real fireplaces, no thank you! Or wood stoves!

Sorry if I burst you're romantic bubble, Frankie, but the good old days are not all they're cracked up to be. :D

I finished Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden today. I found it to be a superb read, a full review will follow in my book blog thread.

I love this book! Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Finished the second book within the Dexter series! An amazing series! Unfortunately I have to wait a bit before I can buy the third book :(

So, in the meantime I am going through my enormous TBR pile from my bookcase! Just started 'The Green Mile' by Stephen King, a fantastic book! I love both the film and the book! :)

Uh, my country might be known for the cold and snow, but I live in the one tiny part that has a relatively mild climate where we see very little snow compared to the rest of the country, or even the rest of our province (think, states or counties if the term "province" isn't familiar) and I did spend most of my childhood growing up without central heating. First it was a fireplace in one house, and then a pot-bellied stove in another. And let me tell, there was nothing even remotely romantic it about it! Neither heated anywhere close to all the rooms. And chopping wood, cleaning out ashes and soot, not to mention what it does to your walls and furniture if you don't obsessively clean all day every day, is a bloody nightmare.

For year with pot belly stove we also didn't have electricity so had to cook on it several times a day and heat water for all our needs on it. Have you got any idea just how long it takes to heat enough water to even have a lukewarm bath in tub half full? Or what's it's like to have a burning hot stove going in the middle of summer when it's 85 degrees outside? Trust me, you don't want to know!

Sorry, but I'll take all my modern comforts over the "good old days" anytime! The first thing I did when we moved into our current rental 11 years ago was block the fireplace with furniture. Hubby thought it would be nice too, but then he never had to care for one or deal with work it caused around the house. Now if I could afford one of those pretty, electric fake fires so times like Xmas, I'd do that. But real fireplaces, no thank you! Or wood stoves!

Sorry if I burst you're romantic bubble, Frankie, but the good old days are not all they're cracked up to be. :D

:D So where do you live, then? I'm guessing the UK? We have lots of snow, too, and we're known to have temperatures of -40 degrees Celsius at our worst, but I think our buildings and apartments have better insulation. So I've never had to face being cold inside any place I've lived.

And yeah, I said I find the olden golden days romantic, but I think I also said that I'd rather not think about how cold it was back then. (And all the issues with hygiene and all that....) :D

I've just finished The Snow Child and it was completely wonderful! :smile2: (Thanks, Kay :friends3: )

Another positive appraisal of the novel, I so have to read this!

I finished Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden today. I found it to be a superb read, a full review will follow in my book blog thread.

I noticed you rating it 5/5 on Goodreads, so it can't have been bad :D

Finished the second book within the Dexter series! An amazing series! Unfortunately I have to wait a bit before I can buy the third book :(

So, in the meantime I am going through my enormous TBR pile from my bookcase! Just started 'The Green Mile' by Stephen King, a fantastic book! I love both the film and the book! :)

It's an awesome series, isn't it?! So happy to have so many fans on the forum! Although I have to say, I personally found the third novel a bit boring, and I didn't like it much, so I hope that's warning enough. But for me the series picked up the usual pace and excellence by the fourth book, and the fifth has been, for me, the best so far! :) I'll keep an eye on your progress!

I think I got my first Birthday present this year, there was a package for me at the post office and inside it was The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. Thank you Bday Santa :lol:

I noticed you rating it 5/5 on Goodreads, so it can't have been bad :D

I think I got my first Birthday present this year, there was a package for me at the post office and inside it was The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. Thank you Bday Santa :lol:

It was great, made even better by the fact that I didn't think it would be my kind of book.

The birthday fairy, well my parents, :smile: have just dropped off 2 books for my birthday. Neuromancer by William Gibson and A Sorrow Beyond Dreams by Peter Handke.

Edited by Brian.

:D So where do you live, then? I'm guessing the UK? We have lots of snow, too, and we're known to have temperatures of -40 degrees Celsius at our worst, but I think our buildings and apartments have better insulation. So I've never had to face being cold inside any place I've lived.

We don't call them provinces in the UK, we call them regions. I'm guessing Canada. :D

I finished Heidi by Johanna Spyri, which disappointed me. I reckon I should have read it as a child, as an adult some of the repetitive phrasing and religious preaching was extremely irritating.

Now reading The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith.

I've just finished Trains and Lovers by Alexander McCall Smith - pretty good, but exactly the sort of thing I've come to expect from him, nostalgia with a rose coloured tint, but enjoyable none the less.

I remember reading it when it first came out in paperback, and thought it was a fantastic book. Interesting that he's never written any other novels since then.

I finished Heidi by Johanna Spyri, which disappointed me. I reckon I should have read it as a child, as an adult some of the repetitive phrasing and religious preaching was extremely irritating.

Now reading The Talented Mr Ripley by Patricia Highsmith.

I recall being a bit disappointed with Heidi as well, and for the same reason (religion).

And I'm also reading The Talented Mr Ripley! I read about 20 pages today. It has been a while since I last read it, but the story has all come back to me and I'm thoroughly enjoying it again.

I recall being a bit disappointed with Heidi as well, and for the same reason (religion).

And I'm also reading The Talented Mr Ripley! I read about 20 pages today. It has been a while since I last read it, but the story has all come back to me and I'm thoroughly enjoying it again.

I'm 100 pages in and really enjoying it!