Writing in books...

Kell

In vague relation to the, "Do you turn the corner or use a bookmark?" discussion, I was wondering, does anyone here write in their books or underline or highlight passages? Or is that the ultimate defacement? Perhaps you just write your name inside the front cover? So, come on, do you do it? Or does the very thought horrify you?

The only time I've written in books is for school. I found it handy when doing Shakespeare and poetry; it enables you to analyse each line. Otherwise I never do it. I'm not totally against it though - I kind of like the idea of writing down your thoughts as you go along, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it.

I've been buying a lot of second-hand books lately, and almost every single one of them has the previous owner's name at the front. I can't believe so many people used to do that! And why do you need to, really?

I think this question will produce some interesting answers. Thanks Kell!

The only time I have written in books is also in text books, at uni, excpt my bible. As I have mentioned before, the bible that goes with me eveywhere is in a terrible state and has hundreds of annotations. Sme are from uni, some from Christian Union, some from church and some of my own. I always keep a pen and pencil inside the handy holds in my bible case. Is there a geek smile??

I sometimes write my name in the front of a book, usually when I'm lending it to some-one - I've lost so many in the past. Must admit I got pissed off with my ex for putting a stamp with my name and address on all my books and records.

Don't usually write in books, but would be a good idea if you want to find a certain passage again, which I'm always doing, then spend hours trying to track it down.

I have not written in my books since i was younger. In fact i have just found about half a dozen that have my name, address and telephone number in them! It doesn't matter about those because they will not be going anywhere, i have fond memories attached to them. I also have a few books that were given to me as presents from my mum that she has written a message on the inside.

I have children's books that were given to me with a message and who they were from written inside...
It is nice to get a personalised message inside, or perhaps have a book autogrpahed by the author. I used to write my name and when I got the book (eg Xmas 1995) inside the front cover - mostly because I have a younger sister who, although not a reader, used to continually claim my property as her own. I then had exes who tried the same trick, so my name went in the books as a "claim". I used to keep all of my books too, so it was never a big deal. I also used to use fancy bookplates when I was a kid, that maybe had a fancy, illuminated initial and words to the effect of, "From the library of..." with my name written underneath very neatly.

The only time I've ever written within the pages of a book was, like some others here, while I was studying, or, if it was a play, highlighting my part and perhaps making a few notes in the margin. Other than that I've never written inside books at all and would certainly never offer those books to someone else. I received a book in a swap a while ago that had many highlighted sections and extensive notes in the margins. I couldnt read it and ended up passing it to a friend who didn't mind that sort of thing. It was obvious that it had been used in class as a study aid, but to me, it was no excuse when the book was then being passed on to others - I was very disappointed. I wouldn't have minded quite so much if it had been mentioned in the comments beforehand, but it was listed as being in very good condition and made no mention of it being riddled with comments and highlights. B)

Nowadays, I tend to take notes on a post-it, which I can stick to the page in question, but can remove if I'm passing the book on to a new owner.

I have a treasured copy of Westward Ho! which belonged to my grandfather. It was a present from his younger brother and it has both their names, ages and addresses inside. Very useful for family history purposes:) I also have books that have been given to me as presents which have been written inside with a few words like 'On your birthday...etc'.

When I was a child we always used to put our names inside books with the date. The only times I've annotated books was for study purposes when I've used pencil to highlight meanings in poetry, plays etc. If I want to remember anything I usually stick a scrap of paper in the relevant pages.

I've quite often noticed when I borrow books from the library there is someone, who seems to have the same taste in books as me, who rings the page number. I've not worked out whether it is to mark the page they got to when they finished reading or to mark the page to go back to again to make a note of something:)

One thing that irritates me is finding things written in library books - how dare they B). And people who feel it necessary to correct grammatical errors in library books ...they can do that in their own books if they must, but who exactly are they trying to impress here?

Eek no! I would never write in a book. In school if I wrote in a book for studying I would write in pencil. I don't write or turn the pages down. It would totally go against the grain for me. I think I have, rarely, written my name in books, but only in non fiction ones and only in pencil.

I never write in books. I'd love to make little notations in the margin for memorable quotes or passages, but I just can't bring myself to do it. B) Even when I was at uni, I never wrote in textbooks. I really don't like to deface them; I'd rather make any notes on a post-it, or a separate bit of paper.

I've quite often noticed when I borrow books from the library there is someone, who seems to have the same taste in books as me, who rings the page number. I've not worked out whether it is to mark the page they got to when they finished reading or to mark the page to go back to again to make a note of something:)

I've noticed that with some of the books I have borrowed lately!

I always write my name, date and where I got the book (if I bought it in another town/country etc.) or who I got it from. I don't know why I do it, but I guess it's because they feel like my own books then, and no one can claim them as their own. Plus, I'm terribly afraid of forgetting things when I get older (it runs in the family unfortunately), and when/where I got books is definitely something I want to remember (which is why I keep a reading journal as well).

I think notes in the margins of thoughts etc. would be a really great thing to do, to show that the book has been read (and loved) and it's really interesting to follow the line of thought one had at that particular moment, but I could never bring myself to write more than my name in a book. I just like the idea of it though.

I absolutely never, never, never write in my books. I very occaisionly write my name and form in the front of a book I have to take to school, but only if I have to leave it there for a day or two.

I hardly ever even write in those books you're supposed to, or annuals, or even magazines!! I'm not sure what it is, I can just never bring myself to ruin them.

I also have to keep the spines on books perfect - I just can't bear it when I open it too far by mistake and break the spine.

I have never written in a book of mine- heaven forbid. All textbooks have a removable tab on the page I want and if I want notes I leave in a piece of paper.

It's very painful if I have had to put the childrens names in when they take them to school

I rarely write in a good hardback, maybe only to mark a passage with a light slash at the end of a line I want to be able to find again.

But soft-backs are a different ballgame. Yes. I underline passages that are relevant to whatever theme I am perceiving, or certain repetitions in theme, or repetitions in certain phrases...have to for any book discussion, I'd never find anything to write about if I didn't. B)

I don't fold or corner pages ever though and when I do mark it is only with a pencil.......never a pen. I tried a highlighter once and just hated it. Light pencil is the only way for me.

Only one time I have used those yellow sticky notes and it was so bulky and cumbersome, I was very uncomfortable with that way of doing it.

Oh I also write my name inside the front cover and date aquired, and date read.

No I do not. But one thing relating to this I remember was a handy not in Coming Up for Air which I borrowed from the library. In one of the final scenes there is an accidental bombing accounted to a training incident by British bombers flying over. But after this someone had written (paraphrasing plus nerdy voice) 'British bombers at the time carried dumby bombs and would not carry live ammunition at such a time.' Cracked me up.

I annotate novels, textbooks, revision guides and poetry books when studying them. In my everyday type of books, if there is something which I want to highlight or make a note of, I'll write it down on a bit of paper and slip it into the relevant page.

I think I can answer that! When my Granny's neighbour was alive, she loved reading, but was housebound. The library back then didn't offer the service it does now for housebound people where a volunteer gets books and keeps a record, so her daughter would choose books from the library for her, and would ring a certain page number, in pencil, on return so that when she was picking books, she could look at that page number to see whether her Mum had read it before.

Of course, that fell down if there was more than one copy of a certain book in the library shelves!

My books that I have studied have copious amounts of writing in them, but to write in a 'normal' book is a no-no for me! I'm a post it note fan too though!

Somebody bought bubs Peter Rabbit's ABC 123 by Beatrix Potter when she was born and I gave it back to have it written in. We have so many books from OHs previous children ad I wanted her to know that this one is hers.

I always wrote in the library books at uni. I don't think I have written in any of my textbooks though.

I think I can answer that! When my Granny's neighbour was alive, she loved reading, but was housebound. The library back then didn't offer the service it does now for housebound people where a volunteer gets books and keeps a record, so her daughter would choose books from the library for her, and would ring a certain page number, in pencil, on return so that when she was picking books, she could look at that page number to see whether her Mum had read it before.

Oh, thanks for telling me. That could be the explanation then:D