Your Book Activity ~ September 2012

Kylie

I finished Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal ? , It was a lot different from what i expected, a very emotional read.

I hope that meant you enjoyed it KM :) .. it was an emotional read .. she's very open and honest. I thought of Jeanette when I was at Shakespeare & Co because I saw some of the little beds in the bookshop and wondered which was the one she slept in .. or perhaps she slept in random ones. Anyway, I know she said it was a great cure for her depression .. spending time there (it made me happy as well :D)

I'm going to read Gone With The Wind next , seems that everyone who's read it has really enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to getting into it. when i took it off the bookshelf i was able to get three books from my overflow pile stacked at the side into the space it left so i see that as an added bonus :smile:

I'm almost certain you will enjoy it .. the size doesn't daunt at all because the story just sucks you in. I guarantee this will also be different from what you expect .. but in a good way.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery. I have read this before, but wanted to take part in the Book Group discussion on it.

Now I'm about to start reading an English translation of 'Don Quixote' by Cervantes. This has been sitting on my book shelf for months and I'll be honest, intimidated me for some reason. However, I'm going to give it go.

I decided to make my way through the Inspector Banks series by Peter Robinson. So far this month i have read Gallows View and A Dedicated Man. I am enjoying the series very much and just had the third book, A Necessary End delivered through the door ready to start next :)

Is that the last Dark Tower book?

It's the most recent one published, but it fits in between books 4 and 5 of the series. It can be read either as a stand-alone novel, or as part of the series.

Isn't it annoying when two books are published around the same time with the same title?! The Julianna Baggot one has gotten lots of good reviews, but both Chaliepud and myself were undecided. Personally, I don't think there was enough world building and explanation at the beginning.

Yeah, it is, but thankfully I'm enjoying this one. :D And also, fortunately I borrowed it from the library, rather than buy it, as I would have been most put out!

Woohoo - another person trying Ali Smith! Hope you enjoy it, frankie, although I know she's not to everyone's taste :smile2:

I've browsed it a bit and I'm wondering about the lay-out of the novel, it's not the usual words and letters from the left side of the page to the right side... I mean, it's all aligned left, and that's unusual. Something that usually would bother me in a book, but for some reason I'm not bothered now. But it's unusual!

I'm going to read Gone With The Wind next , seems that everyone who's read it has really enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to getting into it. when i took it off the bookshelf i was able to get three books from my overflow pile stacked at the side into the space it left so i see that as an added bonus :smile:

Wohoo! I'm one of those people who was rather intimidated to read the book, just based on the size of it, it seemed so daunting. But I ended up loving it! I think you will like it, too :) Just try not to worry about the size and read the book, I'm fairly certain you will get sucked into the story after 50-100 pages and then you'll be sorry to see it end :)

It's the most recent one published, but it fits in between books 4 and 5 of the series. It can be read either as a stand-alone novel, or as part of the series.

I'm on book 4 at the moment (taking a little break) - would you advise The Wind Through The Keyhole next, or at the end of the series?

I'm at the halway mark just about with both current books.

I dont know if I will be able to finish perfume though, the writing seems to drag on longer than necessary.

Completed Kim.

The India that unfolds in the pages was one my grandfather experienced as a boy, - so it was lovely for me to read about it.

And the book has a lot of Buddhist thoughts sprinkled with those of Islam - and this made it very interesting for me, as I've mostly been exposed to Hinduism and Christianity.

Some of swear phrases were literal translations from Indian languages and these made me chuckle (son-of-an-owl / son-of-a-pig)

But most of all I think it was Kim who captivated me.

Kimball O'Hara may be one of the more interesting people I've met in a book. :)

Have started on Pride and Prejudice - my first unabridged Austen :blush2:

Oooh, I hope you shall like it! :)

I'm still reading Mister God This Is Anna, and I've started reading a Finnish detective novel as well.

Thanks frankie. :)

I'm half way in and its been fun - it had been a while since I'd read romance...

How are you finding Mister God This Is Anna ?

I hope that meant you enjoyed it KM :) .. it was an emotional read .. she's very open and honest. I thought of Jeanette when I was at Shakespeare & Co because I saw some of the little beds in the bookshop and wondered which was the one she slept in .. or perhaps she slept in random ones. Anyway, I know she said it was a great cure for her depression .. spending time there (it made me happy as well :D)

I enjoyed it very much & it was her absolute honesty about herself that i found so moving,i imagine it couldn't have been an easy book to write. I would love her to tell Mrs Winterson's story i think it would be fascinating to find out what made her the person she was. Shakespeare & Co sounds wonderful & i'd love to go there, perhaps if they ever bring back Jim' ll Fixit i'll send them a Please could you fix it for me.....letter :D

I'm almost certain you will enjoy it .. the size doesn't daunt at all because the story just sucks you in. I guarantee this will also be different from what you expect .. but in a good way.

Different sounds good... :smile: I've never seen the movie only clips of it on other programmes so i only have a very vague idea of the story line.

Wohoo! I'm one of those people who was rather intimidated to read the book, just based on the size of it, it seemed so daunting. But I ended up loving it! I think you will like it, too :) Just try not to worry about the size and read the book, I'm fairly certain you will get sucked into the story after 50-100 pages and then you'll be sorry to see it end :)

I think the size of it has put me off starting it before now , i've only managed to get to page 30 even though i started it a few days ago been busy with other stuff but i'm going to try read a big chunk tonight so i can get into the story :smile:

Edited by Kidsmum

I bought four new books today! I swear I'm not falling back into old habits, but it was an unusual day. :giggle2: I downloaded a couple of books from my wishlist - Hope and Glory by Stuart Maconie and A Moment of Silence by Anna Dean, plus had a day out in Bath and had to support the indie bookshop there, so also bought Divorce Islamic Style by Amara Lakhous and Qissat: Short Stories by Palestinian Woman. A good day :smile2:

I'm on book 4 at the moment (taking a little break) - would you advise The Wind Through The Keyhole next, or at the end of the series?

I'd recommend leaving it to the end of the series, only because it doesn't move the story forward at all, and is just a reminiscence. I know book 4 is a reminiscence (my favorite book of the series), but it tells a lot about Roland and his early years, whereas The Wind Through The Keyhole doesn't particularly give much background him as a person (in a way that relates to the series, if you know what I mean).

I've had to give up on Pure by Andrew Miller. It was just dragging. The most interesting thing about it was that it was based on a true story and I think if it had been written as a non-fiction book I would have been able to finish it. The subject matter was fascinating (moving the contents of a cemetery that was overflowing) but the characters weren't.

I have just finished Hermione Lee's biog of Virginia Woolf .. all 700 odd pages of it .. hurrah! Was sobbing at the end of it (and not all of it was relief :D) .. I nearly always sob at the end of biographies .. if the person dies.

Will get on with Rabbit Run .. have been shockingly neglecting it and picking it up at random .. will give it some concerted effort now.

Finally finished Beautiful Shadow, Patricia Highsmith's bio by Andrew Wilson. I'd left it half finished for quite a while. But the other day picked it up again, and was immediately caught up in her life. What a tragic figure.

I'm now reading Twelve Patients, Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital, by Eric Manheimer, MD Very interesting.

Julie, I think you'd like this one, true life, crimes involved, true stories about real people in distress. Good stuff. :)