Your Book Activity ~ September 2012

Kylie

After moving and losing all reading time, the OH's purchase of FIFA13 has served me well with quiet reading moments! Hurrah!

Finished This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski, which was really upsetting and powerful.

Now onto The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read A Street Cat Named Bob - James Bowen it was a nice read although I wouldn't consider it spectacular it was a touching story and it's nice to hear a little success story rather than the cliche I love my pet, my pet dies - story over. Then I read War Horse - Michael Morpurgo which was nice, felt it really picked up towards the last quarter and had a few unexpected twists. Infact reading War Horse made me remember being read Kensuke's Kingdom (also by Michael Morpurgo) as a child, although I remember very little of it so I've added that to the wishlist for nostalgia reasons.

I'm still reading The Return of Captain John Emmett - I'm enjoying it but not getting a real run at it yet. I got The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz from the Library and I received The Cleaner of Chartres in the post today. That lot should keep me out of mischief for a bit anyway. But I really could do with more pairs of eyes. :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

I also started a Creative Writing Course yesterday so, you never know, my posts may be more poetic in the future. :P

I knew I wouldn't dare ppen this thread again, after being away for so long. Sorry about that, work got in the way, and reading about all the reading y'all got done would have made me rather envious what with no time to read myself. Or really the inclination. I was feeling off practically all the books I started!

Finally picked up Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi and it caught me. (I also have her autobiography on my self, I'm really looking forward to that!)

Completed Pride and Prejudice this morning - and am now looking forward to reading Austen's other novels.

Have picked up Angela's Ashes (by Frank McCourt) to read next.

The blurb on the back reminds me of Paddy Clarke HaHaHa - but I hope I enjoy it better!

Oh, so I gather you liked it, bree? How wonderful!

I loved Angela's Ashes, read that and the following two books ('Tis and Teacher Man I think they were called), at least I think it was only two books, and loved those too. McCourt has a wonderful narrator's voice, no wonder he was a good teacher!

I think you probably will bree. I've only read a chapter of so of Angela's Ashes (was at a holiday cottage and had to leave it behind .. have got a copy now but other books have intruded) but it made me laugh far more than Paddy Clarke HaHaHa. One's fictional isn't it and the other non? I'm not sure but I would say that Roddy's humour is probably a lot grimmer (or was anyway in Paddy Clarke .. his Barrytown trilogy is another thing entirely .. I laughed myself sick). Obviously I don't know what comes later in Angela's Ashes .. it's a misery memoir so it's not going to be a barrel full of laughs but I think Frank's way of telling the story is warmer and more engaging.

Yes, Angela's Ashes is nonfiction. Which is not something you think about while reading it, it really read as a fiction, if you know what I mean? Often the nonfiction ones are more stiff and forced. Not this one.

I'm reading The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin. It's different to what I expected - more interesting and 'readable'.

I finished The Stepford Wives. I really loved it - short, snappy and entertaining. It's just what I needed. :smile:

I truly enjoyed it too! So different from the movie, which I did like for the light and fluffy comedy it was. But the book was, especially given the socio-cultural context in which it was written, really memorable.

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (eeekkk!)

I can't wait to hear what you think about this one. I am curious to know what it is like before I purchase it!

First, my sincere apologies to the members for my recent vents (okay B***h fests :giggle2:). I can only plead lack of sleep causing temporary insanity. Hope I haven't annoyed anyone too badly.....

Picked up another one on the bargain table the other day. The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe. It's massive, and more than a bit intimidating! Will make a great doorstop if I don't get brave enough to dive in! :giggle:

Hey, is Michelle away? Anyone know?