Your Book Activity ~ September 2012

Kylie

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started and almost finished The Joy Luck Club today, think I have one chapter left to go. :blush:

I hate having one chapter to go in a good book. Sometimes I wont read that chapter for a week because I don't want it to end.

Then when I do and have finished it, I feel a little lost because I don't know what do next. LOL :giggle2:

Hope you both are feeling better :empathy:

Thanks bree, I'm just about fully recovered now and went to work today, only a little tired :)

Sorry frankie, picked it up and couldn't put it down. Absolutely loved it.

Don't worry, I can't blame you for not being able to put down a great book! :D I'm so happy you enjoyed it, I should go over to your reading log to see if this has made you buy more of Tan's books.

Aw, sorry. :empathy: But just remember how it's going to get stinking hot soon!

I wouldn't mind stinking hot. I'd love to go to the book fair! :( Sniffffff.

Thanks! I did manage to get some more reading in yesterday, at the expense of my work. But hey, sometimes you've just gotta prioritise, right? ;)

Indeed :giggle: I like the way you think.

I've started reading A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, I've never read it before and don't think I would ever have decided to read it if it wasn't for this forum. It's taken a while to get me into it, but now that the ghost from Christmases past (or what was he called) has showed up, it's getting way better. It was a rather random borrowing from the library, somebody returned the novel and I liked the illustrations and the edition so thought I'd give it a go.

I'm still reading Notes From A Small Island and I am enjoying it, although I'm not completely warming to Bryson yet, but he's walking through Dorset at the moment and I'm wondering if he'll go as far as my beloved Chesil Beach and if so, what he'll have to say about it. I didn't realise the book was almost 20 years old, and I'm finding it a bit dated in places.

Bought Gods and Warriors by Michelle Paver this morning for my OH, although we both want to read it, but I'll wait for him to read it first. Half price in Waterstone's and cheaper than Kindle version at the moment, so a bargain as both of us will read it. :)

Have quite a few reviews to catch up on, so going to try and get them done this weekend.

I've finished The Wind Through The Keyhole - pretty good, but it won't be my favorite of the series.

I'm about to start Pure by Andrew Miller. I think this had some good reviews on here which is why I added it to my wishlist, but looking at my wishlist, there's another book called Pure by Julianna Baggot and I think that's the one I originally wanted to read. :doh: But this one still sounds interesting, so I'll give it a whirl.

Oh dear .. holidays are not conducive to reading. Why did I pack so many books? I never picked any of them up. I need to get my act together this week .. I still have three books on the go and two of them are quite difficult. They don't appreciate my divided attention and they don't appreciate being left in my bag all week. I need a 'sitting by the pool doing nothing but reading' sort of holiday now :)

Oh dear .. holidays are not conducive to reading. Why did I pack so many books? I never picked any of them up. I need to get my act together this week .. I still have three books on the go and two of them are quite difficult. They don't appreciate my divided attention and they don't appreciate being left in my bag all week. I need a 'sitting by the pool doing nothing but reading' sort of holiday now :)

I can just see them all muttering away together......

' "Come with me," she said, "I'll take you to Paris," she said, "I'll show you the sights!" she said, and here we are, haven't even seen the light of day!!' :fight::motz::theboss:

' "Come with me," she said, "I'll take you to Paris," she said, "I'll show you the sights!" she said, and here we are, haven't even seen the light of day!!' :fight::motz::theboss:

Yes :D The books need a vacation! :giggle2:

I have about 20 pages of A Christmas Carol, then I'm moving on to a Finnish novel recommended by a co-worker from the library.

Wow, I had the strangest sense of deja vu reading these two posts.

I'm so glad you're back, Poppyshake. I know what you mean about reading though. :( For my next holiday, I'm planning to head to a cabin in the bush somewhere - just me and my books (and definitely no internet access!)

I have about 20 pages of A Christmas Carol, then I'm moving on to a Finnish novel recommended by a co-worker from the library.

What do you think? I love it so much. :)

For some reason I cannot seem to be able to focus on any particular book for the time being (maybe due to reading the last 100 or so pages of Room so intensively). So instead I've been a good wife and done as I've been told, which is to say, I've been sorting through my books and picked out the ones I'm willing to let go (that is, store in the basement for the time being, until I figure out a good way of getting rid of them). Mostly old chick-lit I really have no taste for anymore. And books I haven't liked, so don't want to keep around cluttering my already full bookshelves. Of course, the truly smart way would have been to do this BEFORE the move. Oh well...

I finished The Leopard - Jo Nesbo, not quite as good as The snowman for me but not far off i think :smile:

I am now reading Restless - William Boyd, really enjoying his writing style, it's the first book of his that I've read.

Also thanks to Michelle :thanx: I've downloaded 3 books to my kindle:

Ash - James Herbert (20p!)

Dead Man's grip - Peter James (20p!)

and The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton (69p!)

Amazing bargains, :D I'll probably go back for another look through later!

Lol :D :D :D

I feel such an idiot. I took my books to Paris, I even bought books in Paris but I never took a single pic of them in Paris. On facebook I have an album called 'Travels with Books' and all it is is pics of my books in different locations around England .. usually my hometown .. I think the most exotic place my book had been up until now was a beach on the Isle of Wight. This is the first time in ages that I've been anywhere truly different from home and I haven't got a pic of it. I've got lots of pics of Paris .. but my poor books have been neglected .. bother!! I could have got a pic with a book outside Shakespeare & Co .. actually there is a pic of me with my purchases in a bag .. perhaps that will do :)

Yes Kylie, a holiday with no disruptions, lots of books and no particular place to go is very appealing right now .. I wonder if we shall ever get one :D

Awww I'm sorry you didn't enjoy A Christmas Carol much frankie .. I'm glad it picked up for you though.

LOL Ahhh, the mental images that conjures! /much giggling/

For some reason I cannot seem to be able to focus on any particular book for the time being (maybe due to reading the last 100 or so pages of Room so intensively). So instead I've been a good wife and done as I've been told, which is to say, I've been sorting through my books and picked out the ones I'm willing to let go (that is, store in the basement for the time being, until I figure out a good way of getting rid of them). Mostly old chick-lit I really have no taste for anymore. And books I haven't liked, so don't want to keep around cluttering my already full bookshelves. Of course, the truly smart way would have been to do this BEFORE the move. Oh well...

Hah. Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I have 9 listed as presently reading on Goodreads, and that's not all of them. :P

But not embarrassed enough not to post it. :lurker::D

Glad to hear I'm not alone, pontalba. And yes, I too do the "I'm reading that. And that. And that and that and that. What?? I like variety!" thing. I wonder if there's a name for the ailment? Is it even an ailment? Do we need a support group?

I have loads of work to do today (plus the usual domestic chores that oddly enough always fall on me especially now that we haven't gotter around to finding any help yet) so maybe tonight will be the night and I can just sit down with a hot drink and read. Paul Auster's New York Trilogy is looking pretty tempting (and small) right now. I might be able to stick with that.

Awww I'm sorry you didn't enjoy A Christmas Carol much frankie .. I'm glad it picked up for you though.

In Dickens's defence I think I might have not been in the right mood for it :( I should've put it down and figured I should read it some other time. But the last chapter was brilliant :smile2:

I put up a new, large Billy bookcase today, and my Dad came over to put on the doors and bolt it to the walls. I have another tall, narrow to put up as well. :)

:o In the lounge? I want pics! I have no idea what your place looks like anymore, and it's killing me :( I'm curious about 'my' bedroom in particular, and the lounge. Please post pics sometime soon, okay? :)

I started reading Mister God This Is Anna last night. Read about 140 pages of it. I'm quite undecided about it.

I also took back a load of books to the library (I've managed to read quite a few books recently due to being sick and having more time to read). I was quite happy to see I didn't have that many borrowed books after going through my shelves, but then I borrowed five more books today :rolleyes: It's mostly because I got to organize the English lit section. And I also blame poppyshake! I found a copy of Cider with Rosie and Der Profundis and couldn't just not borrow them :blush:

I also borrowed a Finnish detective story, and an Ali Smith novel (chesilbeach is to blame for that!) and some semibiographical book of some Swedish author (or is she Finnish Swedish, I can't remember).

Woohoo - another person trying Ali Smith! Hope you enjoy it, frankie, although I know she's not to everyone's taste :smile2:

I'm over half way through my first Bill Bryson now, but have to admit, I have taken a detour and started Pride and Prejudice for my Jane Austen challenge as well.

I finished Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal ? , It was a lot different from what i expected, a very emotional read.

I'm going to read Gone With The Wind next , seems that everyone who's read it has really enjoyed it so i'm looking forward to getting into it. when i took it off the bookshelf i was able to get three books from my overflow pile stacked at the side into the space it left so i see that as an added bonus :smile:

I've finished The Wind Through The Keyhole - pretty good, but it won't be my favorite of the series.

Is that the last Dark Tower book?

I'm about to start Pure by Andrew Miller. I think this had some good reviews on here which is why I added it to my wishlist, but looking at my wishlist, there's another book called Pure by Julianna Baggot and I think that's the one I originally wanted to read. :doh: But this one still sounds interesting, so I'll give it a whirl.

Isn't it annoying when two books are published around the same time with the same title?! The Julianna Baggot one has gotten lots of good reviews, but both Chaliepud and myself were undecided. Personally, I don't think there was enough world building and explanation at the beginning.