Daphne du Maurier

Polka Dot Rock

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I finished my current book, I'm thinking of picking up My Cousin Rachel in honour of Ms du Maurier's birthday :D

Anyone else care to join me in starting to read a Daphne du Maurier this weekend, in time for the celebration? :D (I'm getting sentimental aren't I? Oh well!)

I've passed my copy of The Birds on to my daughter in the hope she'll give it a try - she wants to try DdM. I picked up The House on the Strand in the library sale recently for 20p (I get staff discount!) but I've just started The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert which is a chunky read so will take a while. I'm still considering buying the DdM set from the Book People - think it's a good deal.

Hope you enjoy My Cousin Rachel - I enjoyed it but could do with re-reading DdM as I first read her during the 90's and can now only remember that I enjoyed her books rather than what actually happened!

Judy - persuading people you know to read DdM will work just as well ;)

My daughter read The Birds last night - enjoyed it but thought it ended abruptly.

I bought 'Rebecca', it took me ages to find it even though I was at the Daphne du Maurier section, it was behind another book x

I love Rebecca, I had a look at the film on BBC2 but it didn't fit in with my own version of the book (in my head) so I turned it off. I have read a couple of other DdM books but nothing grabbed me as much as Rebecca.

I also enjoyed Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman (?), I read that before Rebecca and it kind of added something to the story for me.

I saw the programme by Rick Stein and I quite enjoyed it. It provided an insight into her personal life and how it effected her writing.

On a sadder note Chalky made his final filming and the programme was dedicated to him.

I watched both the TV programmes and really enjoyed them. I didn't know a lot about Daphne du Maurier's private life so found them very interesting, but I did know of her father George because of Trilby:)

Oh, dear farewell chalky:cry:

I am halfway through 'Rebecca', initially I thought I would not enjoy it but I am really getting into it now. Thanks for the recommendation Aimz.

;):D

I am halfway through 'Rebecca', initially I thought I would not enjoy it but I am really getting into it now. Thanks for the recommendation Aimz.

:):D

Cheers Paula ;) Glad you're enjoying it. When they first start reading Rebecca, I think everybody (including me) thinks "Hmm... This isn't going anywhere". Then it does and is brilliant. Weird isn't it?

Cheers Paula ;) Glad you're enjoying it. When they first start reading Rebecca, I think everybody (including me) thinks "Hmm... This isn't going anywhere". Then it does and is brilliant. Weird isn't it?

Totally, I find myself feeling quite conflicted about Max to be honest, one minute I feel sorry for him, and the next minute I think, 'I wish someone would squash half a grapefruit into his face', he is a bit of pill isn't he?, but he has his reasons...:)

I am almost finished 'Rebecca' and it was fantastic, what a great read, now I am off to finish it x:D

I am almost finished 'Rebecca' and it was fantastic, what a great read, now I am off to finish it x:D

Finished! It was excellent, thanks for the recommendation Aimz ;)

For any really big fans of Daphne Du Maurier our there, a book of essays has just been published called The Daphne Du Maurier Companion.

I haven't had the chance to pick it up yet, but I am planning to (in fact, I think Amazon has had it on offer and hopefully still has). I have only read Rebecca, but I am hoping to find time to read more. I am mainly interested in this book because its editor - Helen Taylor - was my PhD supervisor. She was brilliant, so out of loyalty I am planning to get it and, because she has helped me so much, I thought it would be nice if I could give her a bit of a plug...! ;)

I'm half way through Rebecca and really enjoying it. On the strength of it I have reserved a compilation of 4 D Du M books in one, Jamaica Inn, Frenchmans Creek, My Cousin Rachel and the 4th one is Rebecca.

For any really big fans of Daphne Du Maurier our there, a book of essays has just been published called The Daphne Du Maurier Companion... I am mainly interested in this book because its editor - Helen Taylor - was my PhD supervisor. She was brilliant, so out of loyalty I am planning to get it and, because she has helped me so much, I thought it would be nice if I could give her a bit of a plug...! :lol:

Hey Amy! (Hey, another Amy... is that allowed?! ;):)). I really fancy getting hold of the companion as I enjoy reading criticism on DdM - it really deepens her work.

So Helen Taylor was your supervisor? That's amazing! (On a nosey tip: what was your PhD topic?)