Daphne du Maurier

Polka Dot Rock

My aunt was telling me about a film she loves called 'Rebecca' and when I found out that it was a book I obviously took it from the library, read it and then watched the film straight after. Both were fantastic.

That's the Hitchcock film, right? Is it very similar to the book? I have both the book and the movie but I won't watch the movie until I've read the book. :D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned on post 92 (I think!) I find du Maurier an intriguing writer. Whilst she can write such classics as Rebecca, My Cousin Rachel etc, she crosses the tracks (in my opinion) to write Jamaica Inn and Frenchman's Creek which were verging towards the "fluffy", then she comes up with great thrillers like The Birds and Don't Look Now. She can also write very strange surreal stuff like House on the Strand and When will I be Young Again - an amazing collection really.

I always said if I was stranded on a desert island I would like to have Rebecca as one of my books.

That's the Hitchcock film, right? Is it very similar to the book? I have both the book and the movie but I won't watch the movie until I've read the book. :D

That isn't the version that I have seen but it is the version that everyone seems to love :lol:

I am the same - must read the book and then see the film :D

I think the Hitchcock film is good and very atmospheric, Sir Laurence Olivier is splendid as Max but, as with most books to films, it doesn't cover half of the book.

Unfortunately Hollywood went overboard with The Birds. It was nothing like the book. The book takes place in Cornwall and the film somewhere in the US. Good film in it's own right but shouldn't have even been connected to the book.:D

I had no idea that The Birds was a Daphne du Maurier book. I've seen the film many, many times, but that's just because I'm a big Hitchcock fan in general. His movie takes place I think around San Francisco, SueK. I'll have to put the book on my TBR pile now so I can see how the original version actually is. Also, I've read Rebecca but never seen the film, which is odd since I like Hitchcock so much. I guess I'm doing things somewhat backwards, LOL.

• 1 month later...

I think like a lot of people, I only knew Du Maurier from Jamaica Inn, Rebecca, etc. I enjoyed all those but found the endings a bit abrupt.

Recently, however, I've read The house on the strand, Julius and Rule Brittania. All three are excellent, with Rule Brittania being my favourite.

Ian

I'm currently reading Jamaica Inn and it is brilliant. I am so impressed with Daphne Du Maurier. She can describe something without wittering on and one for pages and I am still able to get a good idea of the scene she is trying to set.

Oh I love her :friends0:I just wish I had discovered her sooner :blush:

Recently, however, I've read The house on the strand,

I really must read this. It's been on my wish list for ages. I would highly recommend My Cousin Rachel.

I loved 'The House On The Strand'. I should have it on a shelf here somewhere, I will have to rummage for it and have another read! :blush:

I'm currently reading Jamaica Inn and it is brilliant. I am so impressed with Daphne Du Maurier. She can describe something without wittering on and one for pages and I am still able to get a good idea of the scene she is trying to set.

Oh I love her :friends0:I just wish I had discovered her sooner :lol:

I have Jamaica Inn on my next to be read list! I recently discovered her work too, I finished Rebecca a while ago and loved it.

Recently, however, I've read The house on the strand, Julius and Rule Brittania. All three are excellent, with Rule Brittania being my favourite.

Hi Ian.

I have never 'met' anyone else who has read Rule Britannia before! I read it many years ago after reading Rebecca (which I love) and enjoyed it - although it's fair to say it's nothing like Rebecca! :lol:

It was my Dad that got me back into reading Du Maurier. He lent me The house on the strand, having previously only known her "romantic" novels. I read Rule Britannia just after he died, and one of biggest regrets is not having him around to talk too after I finished it. I loved it, and don't even know if he'd read it himself.

Ian

It was my Dad that got me back into reading Du Maurier. He lent me The house on the strand, having previously only known her "romantic" novels. I read Rule Britannia just after he died, and one of biggest regrets is not having him around to talk too after I finished it. I loved it, and don't even know if he'd read it himself.

Ian

I'm sorry to hear that :D

Thank-you. Re-reading my last text, it comes across a bit maudlin. It wasn't my intention to put in a "thread-stopper" comment!

So I'll start the ball rolling again. What other Du Maurier can anyone recommend to me. I'd really like to read "The Birds", which I understand is a short story, but I'd like to pick up a full size novel too.

Ian

Thank-you. Re-reading my last text, it comes across a bit maudlin. It wasn't my intention to put in a "thread-stopper" comment!

So I'll start the ball rolling again. What other Du Maurier can anyone recommend to me. I'd really like to read "The Birds", which I understand is a short story, but I'd like to pick up a full size novel too.

Ian

I have only read Rebecca, Jamaica Inn and My Cousin Rachel. Each one is different in some ways but I have all of her books on my reading list :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading Rebecca again at the moment and I can't say how good this book is. From the moment of "last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again" you are completely captivated by the book. Once the story starts to unfold I am totally engrossed.

I mentioned on the book activity thread but thought I would put it here as it may well get missed:

What is the better of the Rebecca sequels: Rebecca's Story by Sally Beauman or Susan Hill's Mrs De Winter. Some may say that neither should have been written:blush: but as they have, I might read one of them.

Edited by SueK
typo