Your Book Activity ~ June 2012

Kylie

finished A Stolen Life and started Explosive Eighteen (Janet Evanovich), got to about page 60, and promptly chucked it. Unreadable crap. I admit the other 17 weren't exactly Literary winners, and I read them mostly out of loyalty, but it's time to retire the series. Really.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished reading Literary Trivia today and picked up Ali Smith's The First Person and Other Stories.

Woohoo!!! Hope you enjoy the Ali Smith stories, Kylie :smile2: (no pressure, honestly, I know she's not everyone's cup of tea ;))

I'm about a third of the way through Cloudstreet now, but have had to make a note of some Australian words to look up! :D

I received Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? today, so I intend on starting it tonight! :D

I loved that book, I hope you enjoy it!

I've started The Green Mile by Stephen King, really enjoying it so far.

I'm liking it so far :)

The Green Mile is one of my favourite books - hope you like it as much as I did!

Still enjoying Cloudstreet, although I'm about half way through and already have 9 Australian words I've had to look up to see what they mean! :lol: (one of which I still haven't figured out exactly what it means, although I get the gist from the context of the phrase ;)) I'm about half way through now, but going to read a short story or two this evening to celebrate International Short Story Day

Finished Admission by Jean Hanff Korelitz tonight. Excellent story of an Admissions person for Princeton University. Great back story for her.

I'm reading a couple of Inspector Maigret books at the moment. They are quite short and very good. No messing, they get straight to the plot. After that I shall have to scour the bookshelf to see what takes my fancy - I think it may be a bit of Sherlock though!

I finished Killing Floor Lee Child,I really enjoyed it & think it would be a good book for a long plane journey. I'm now halfway through The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society :smile:

Almost finished The Ritual and I've enjoyed it even more than Adam Nevill's first novel (Apartment 16). Review to follow soon (when I find time!).

Andie P x

I'm currently reading 'The Survivor' - Sean Slater. Had not heard of this author before, however my mum recommended this book and I am finding it to be very good, it is one of those that you just don't want to put down. Gruesome but a very good read! Would recommend if you are into horror :)

Just picked up my next book for my library reading group - Pompeii by Robert Harris. Actually quite looking forward to it, even if it does add another book to my TBR!

I got this last week myself! I can't wait to read your review.

Completed A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett last night.

I hadn't read it as a child - and didn't really enjoy it much reading it now.

Have started on Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

I have found a partial solution to my on going battle with my reading mojo, and re read a YA book while away, and read through a few quick reads connected to a couple of tv series (Doctor Who and Torchwood) - my brain seemed to cope with that so I am carrying on in that vein fr the time being.

I did buy three books from a community hall in the wilds of West Scotland when we were there; Dorothy Dunnett's 'The Ringed Castle', John Connolly's 'The Gates', and Anita Diamant's 'Good Harbour'.

Husband saw the little stand before me, and I felt a nudge in my ribs and a nod in their direction. "Go on then, I'll get the coffees".

Ah, the joy of having a book loving husband. :D

I finished The Green Mile. Absolutely amazing book, possibly the best I have ever read and certainly the most moving. Highly recommend it.

Going to start the second Belgariad book now.

Also bought Of Mice and Men and The Princess Bride.

I have found a partial solution to my on going battle with my reading mojo, and re read a YA book while away, and read through a few quick reads connected to a couple of tv series (Doctor Who and Torchwood) - my brain seemed to cope with that so I am carrying on in that vein fr the time being.

That's an excellent idea Chrissy, it's wise to adjust your reading material to your mood. It's easy to get bogged down if you read demanding books, or even ones that take a lot of concentration, all the time. Reading needs to be a joy and pleasure sometimes so our mojo doesn't go into hiding. :hide: <- you'll know where to find him next time

Husband saw the little stand before me, and I felt a nudge in my ribs and a nod in their direction. "Go on then, I'll get the coffees".

Ah, the joy of having a book loving husband. :D

I know who you sing "You Are My Sunshine " about :smile:

I've started to read a real doorstep of a book called The Yard by Alex Grecian. It is an Amazon Vine book and revovles around the days of Scotland Yard and forensics in the late 1800s. The cover is what tempted me to get hold of the book as it looks very atomospheric but I think that is where it stops. So far, it is turgid and already too many Americanisms are showing through: like two bystanders staying "Pardon Me?" and talking about the sidewalk; and two prostitutes saying in cockney accents "We does like a bloke with a full beard" oh dear! :doh: