Your Book Activity ~ June 2012

Kylie

I got this last week myself! I can't wait to read your review.

I'll probably start it straight after I finish Cloudstreet (which I'm about three quarters of the way through now) as we don't have an August meeting, so if I can read that one for July next, then I can get a clear run of a couple of months to finish off that TBR shelf! :lol:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a lazy day today so I've finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, throughly enjoyed it & have decided to post it to my sister as a surprise. I'm not sure what to read next so have gone for the first book on my pile next to the sofa God's Own Country Ross Raisin.

Ah, the joy of having a book loving husband. :D

I've got one of those - lucky, aren't we! :D

I'm not buying books at the moment. So today I didn't buy a beautiful colour illustrated copy of Prince Caspian for £1 in the British Red Cross charity shop - oh no I didn't. whistling.gif I already have a copy on my book case, so why would I buy a second?! :lurker:

Although, someone had cut the price off the back - can you imagine it?! :o:angry:

I completed Number the Stars, last night - it was a good read.

Have started on Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C O'Brien.

I first heard of it when Kell nominated for April's reading circle, and have been wanting to read it ever since.

Have started on Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C O'Brien.

I first heard of it when Kell nominated for April's reading circle, and have been wanting to read it ever since.

It's one of my friends favourite books, so hope you like it, bree, apparently there's a lovely animated film version of it too. :smile2:

It's one of my friends favourite books, so hope you like it, bree, apparently there's a lovely animated film version of it too. :smile2:

Thank you for telling me about the movie chesilbeach - will try and get it - should be a fun watch after the book. :friends3:

I've started reading Glass Geishas (review book) by Susanna Quinn. I'm also gonna be reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland probably at the same time, and today in my local charity shop I gottttt... what did I get hang on I've to check...

Oh yes:

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Beyond The Deepwoods and Stormchaser, the first two Edge Chronicles by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart. I've heard they're good, so here's hoping!

Just got back from my summer holiday to the Isles of Scilly, where I managed to get through 6 very different books - The Consequences of Love by Sulaiman Addonia (Saudi Arabia), Signs of Life by Anna Raverat, The Door by Magda Szabo (Hungary) - loved this one, Me Before You by Jojo Moyes, Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne and Outrage by Arnaldur Inridason (Iceland). The best by far was the Hungarian one, but I enjoyed all of them in different ways.

Having a lazy day today so I've finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, throughly enjoyed it & have decided to post it to my sister as a surprise. ....

Glad you liked this Kidsmum, I thought it was a really good book with some wonderful characters, your sister's in for a treat. :smile:

In the last few days I've finished A Clash of Kings, really enjoyed it but it seemed to take me ages to read.

I also read and loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, thanks to those members who recommended it :flowers2:

Now I've started Double Dexter, only read a few chapters so far but it's looking good! :readingtwo:

I finished Ali Smith's The First Person and Other Stories today *runs away and hides before chesilbeach asks for an opinion) :ontome:

I know what you mean, that woman is a pain in the neck when it comes to Ali Smith, isn't she? :roll:

I've read about 100 pages of Mirrors of the Unseen now, and it's completely engrossing, and a fascinating look at travelling in a completely different culture.

Pipread, I'm glad you enjoyed The Art Of Racing In The Rain, it's a great little book.

I'm 50 pages into Glass Geishas and am thoroughly enjoying it. Starts off by throwing a character into the middle of a new an unfamiliar mess (English girl just arrived in Japan to meet friends who turn out to be missing and/or ignoring her). It's really unusual, and really exciting - I'm finding myself really interested in discovering with the main character just what's going on.

Just got back from my summer holiday to the Isles of Scilly, </snip> The Door by Magda Szabo (Hungary) - loved this one, </snip> The best by far was the Hungarian one, but I enjoyed all of them in different ways.

I've added this one to my Amazon WC Wish List - thanks for the recommendation. :)

Beyond The Deepwoods and Stormchaser, the first two Edge Chronicles by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart. I've heard they're good, so here's hoping!

I've read some of these, and they start off aimed at a slightly younger age group. If you like the style, the best book in my opinion was the very last one The Immortals - Kell reviewed it after reading the whole series, but at the time I hadn't read any of them. It works well in both cases, I really enjoyed it.

Nearly ...nearly finished 'the Hunger Games.....read some in bed last night...I'm sure I was chasing around in my dreams looking for things...woke up tired this morning....lol.

I've read some of these, and they start off aimed at a slightly younger age group. If you like the style, the best book in my opinion was the very last one The Immortals - Kell reviewed it after reading the whole series, but at the time I hadn't read any of them. It works well in both cases, I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for that Michelle - I knew they're for younger readers (I've a hope of actually finishing them this year in that case! :lol:) but one of my all time favourite childhood books (which stood the test of time when I re-read it last year) was by Paul Stewart, so since he's a collaborator on Edge, I thought I'd give them a go. Plus they were only a euro each! :D The Immortals looks really intriguing though, so even if I don't continue with the series (just because it's so long) I'll probably give that a read too. :)

I also read and loved The Art of Racing in the Rain, thanks to those members who recommended it :flowers2:

Yay, I'm so happy you enjoyed it! :smile2: Did you need tissues? :blush:

Now I've started Double Dexter, only read a few chapters so far but it's looking good! :readingtwo:

Finally, time for Dexter :D I can't wait to hear what you thought about the book.

I read more of Regulators today and I'm hoping to do another 100 pages or so, or maybe even finish the book.

I finished Cloudstreet today, and will have to let the thoughts mull around in my head for a while. I have now started The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins. I'm a bit relieved to be reading a book on my Kindle again - it's so much easier to hold, and I find it easier to read.

I am continuing with my Torchwood inspired book reading. It seems to be the only thing I can manage at the moment, although I have plans afoot to stun my reading mojo and get into some other reading (including my book ring read - sorry Diane) very soon.

*gives evil muhahahaha laugh, chokes slightly, gives a sigh and returns to the whacky adventures of Captain Jack & gang*