Polka Dot Rock's Books of 2007: Part 2

Polka Dot Rock

From April 22 to June 24 (Previous Blog can be found here and the Continuing Blog here :))

Colour Key

Classics

Modern Classics

Short Stories

Recent/New Releases (2006/2007)

Doorsteps (Chunky monsters of a novel, approx. 400 pages +)

(occasionally, one book can also be classed as another so this noted by a corresponding asterix)

Currently Reading

The Fahrenheit Twins - Michel Faber

January

Persepolis - Marjane Satrapi (9/10)

Vanity Fair - W.M Thackeray* (8/10)

Wicked - Gregory Maguire (7/10)

February

The Night Watch - Sarah Waters (8/10)

The Girls - Lori Lansens (9/10)

March

Restless - William Boyd (3/10)

One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson (10/10)

Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert (6/10)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - Michael Chabon (8/10)

April

Poppy Shakespeare - Clare Allen (5/10)

Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (8/10)

Disobedience - Naomi Alderman (9/10)

The Tenderness of Wolves - Stef Penney* (9/10)

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (5/10)

May

Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier (8/10)

How Novels Work - John Mullan (9/10)

Watchmen - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons (9/10)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time - Mark Haddon (9/10)

My Cousin Rachel - Daphne du Maurier (8/10)

The Crimson Petal & The White - Michel Faber (10/10)

June

Arlington Park - Rachel Cusk (7/10)

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly (6/10)

Small Island - Andrea Levy (8/10)

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (9/10)

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde (7½ /10)

TBR

Lucky Jim - Kingsley Amis

Money - Martin Amis

Maps for Lost Lovers - Nadeem Aslam

Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood*

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen

Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen

Villette - Charlotte Bronte*

The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop - Lewis Buzbee

Love - Angela Carter

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes (trans. Edith Grossmann)*

No Name - Wilkie Collins*

The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens*

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors - Roddy Doyle

Julius - Daphne du Maurier

The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot*

Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

Chocolat - Joanne Harris

The Island - Victoria Hislop

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

Goodbye to Berlin - Christopher Isherwood

Finn Family Moomintroll - Tove Jansson

Howl's Moving Castle - Diana Wynne Jones

Man Walks Into A Room - Nicole Krauss

The People's Act of Love - James Meek

Suite Francaise - Irene Nemirovsky (trans. Sanda Smith)

An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears

Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl*

The Book of the City of Ladies - Christine de Pizan (trans. Rosalind Brown Grant)

Franny & Zooey - J.D Salinger

Kartography - Kamila Shamsie

Anna Karenina - L.N. Tolstoy*

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf

Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf

Want

Nightwood - Djuna Barnes

Possession - A.S Byatt

Will & Me: How Shakespeare Took Over My Life - Dominic Dromgoole

This Is Not a Love Song - Karen Duve

The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories - Michel Faber

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris

Howards End - E.M Forster

The Odd Women - George Gissing

Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

The Golden Notebook - Doris Lessing

Affluenza: How to be Successful and Stay Sane - Oliver James

The Cement Garden - Ian McEwan

Valley of the Dolls - Jacqueline Susann

Last Orders - Graham Swift

Re-Read

Nights at the Circus - Angela Carter

Wise Children - Angela Carter

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke

Unless - Carol Shields

On Beauty - Zadie Smith

Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, here I am, fresh new blog for the Spring/Summer months. This is when my reading normally hits full flow, so it's probably a good idea to open a new thread!

The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney was an absolute joy to read: I throughly enjoyed it and it well deserves it's award winning status ("Boo!" to the Orange Prize for not shortlisting it: "Boo!" again, in fact).

I will review it properly as I'd like more people to hear about it. Beautiful characterisation, wonderful plotting, AMAZING atmosphere (I can't think of anything I've read that captures a mood and landscape so completely)... A beautiful and compulsive novel, and I can scarcely believe it's only Penney's first! She is also a screenwriter, and although the dialogue is pitch-perfect, I can't imagine this particular story as anything other than a written narrative.

It's one of the few books where I've got to the end and felt a huge need to read more. I demand a sequel! I can't be left without knowing more... :):D

I've now embarked on Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities (which is part of my Classics Challenge). It's a novel that I've heard referenced to an awful lot throughout my life, so thought it was high time I read it.

However, I am struggling a little bit with it, which makes me wonder if my Victorian reading sensibilities are a little rusty... I think I'm getting back into the swing of things: once I hit Dickens' dialogue, it's like a part of brain/imagination is instantly fired up.

So as yet, I'm not finding it as immediately compulsive as Great Expectations, but I'm certainly sticking with it :weeping: I like the sense of injustice and protest that Dickens is weaving throughout A Tale of Two Cities already. It's interesting that some elements of society that Dickens protested about can still be seen... Interesting, eh?

Nice to see you've given One Good Turn 10/10 - it's on my wishlist.

Hello you! :)

Ooh get to it quickly!! It's fantastic! I'm having lots of fun with genre fiction: One Good Turn as a crime story, and I've just finished The Tenderness of Wolves which is, basically, a Canadian 'Western'.

One Good Turn really did make me laugh... Hilarious characters!

So as yet, I'm not finding it as immediately compulsive as Great Expectations, but I'm certainly sticking with it :) I like the sense of injustice and protest that Dickens is weaving throughout A Tale of Two Cities already. It's interesting that some elements of society that Dickens protested about can still be seen... Interesting, eh?

I found Great Expectations to be very atmospheric and of course it has that gothic element with Miss Haversham (ooh hope I've spelt that right - out of practice).

One of the things I love about Victorian novels is their relevance to today's society - ie. not that much has changed and also at times I find that things I thought were 20th century had been around a lot longer than that.

Amy, have to say, you enjoy a challenge eh? makings of a evil genius I think, a book evil genius that is...

:)

Amy, have to say, you enjoy a challenge eh? makings of a evil genius I think, a book evil genius that is...

:D

Oh yes! Well, I do practice my evil-genius laugh at work: Bwa-ha-ha-ha-HA-ha-ha! To that effect :)

Have you ever seen the episode of The Simpsons when the school is closed down, and Bart and Lisa have to stay at home for a week? Well, I think I'm like Lisa in that episode, in that she can't cope without some kind of task to achieve! "Grade me! Grraaade ME!!" :weeping:

And I think Evil Book Genuius will become my new member status quote thingy *tootles off to do so*

Oh yes! Well, I do practice my evil-genius laugh at work: Bwa-ha-ha-ha-HA-ha-ha! To that effect :)

Have you ever seen the episode of The Simpsons when the school is closed down, and Bart and Lisa have to stay at home for a week? Well, I think I'm like Lisa in that episode, in that she can't cope without some kind of task to achieve! "Grade me! Grraaade ME!!" :D

And I think Evil Book Genuius will become my new member status quote thingy *tootles off to do so*

I watched that episode a few nights ago, its brilliant, 'grade me!', I also like the episode when Bart wants to be reincarnated as a butterfly, why?, because 'no suspects the butterfly' :weeping:

I've now embarked on Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities (which is part of my Classics Challenge). It's a novel that I've heard referenced to an awful lot throughout my life, so thought it was high time I read it.

However, I am struggling a little bit with it, which makes me wonder if my Victorian reading sensibilities are a little rusty... I think I'm getting back into the swing of things: once I hit Dickens' dialogue, it's like a part of brain/imagination is instantly fired up.

So as yet, I'm not finding it as immediately compulsive as Great Expectations, but I'm certainly sticking with it :) I like the sense of injustice and protest that Dickens is weaving throughout A Tale of Two Cities already. It's interesting that some elements of society that Dickens protested about can still be seen... Interesting, eh?

I had the same problem when I first started reading A Tale of Two Cities (my first Dickens). I found it a bit difficult to get into, but by the end I absolutely loved it. I found it quite educational too (not knowing much about that particular period in history). It inspired me to a bit of extra research, which is always a good thing! I hope you enjoy the rest of it!

I had the same problem when I first started reading A Tale of Two Cities (my first Dickens). I found it a bit difficult to get into, but by the end I absolutely loved it. I found it quite educational too (not knowing much about that particular period in history). It inspired me to a bit of extra research, which is always a good thing! I hope you enjoy the rest of it!

Thank Lowek :) That's very useful to know: much more encouragement to read it! I can already feel myself becoming more involved, now I'm past the 200+ pages mark.

List Updated :D

I've had some cheap books through the post (including a swap from Kell - cheers hun!), so have added The Island by Victoria Hislop, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (snazzy American edition too!) and An Instance of the Fingerpost - Iain Pears (hmm, not what I'd define as 'good' condition :D But hey ho, it's readable).

Also remembered I've never got around to reading Virginia Woolf's To The Lighthouse so I've moved it to my TBR shelf ;)

Already planning my next read: think I may be in the mood for some more Daphne du Maurier so have also moved Jamaica Inn to my TBR shelf.

I finally finished A Tale of Two Cities and I'm disappointed to say that I continued to struggle with it 'til the very end ;) I'm a particular fan of Dickens' way with characters, and I found the characters in this rather flat and bland. All poor Lucie seemed to do was faint!

The story wasn't enough to keep my interest and I'd find myself getting confused because I'd drifted.

I did enjoy the depiction of Madame Defarge and how she slowly emerged from a background character to a become pivotal force in the novel. It was also intersting to see how it may have influenced Victor Hugo's Les Miserables.

But it hasn't put me off Dickens at all :D With such a prolific writer, I know there's more where Great Expectations came from (one of my favourite novels).

I've now returned to another writer I've enjoyed in the recent past, the great Daphne du Maurier (love 'er). This time, it's Jamaica Inn in all it's Gothic splendor. I've read the first 30 pages and it's jolly gripping so far (and with it's dank home, rotten uncle and downtrodden aunt, it really reminds me of The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter. But I have the impression Carter didn't think much of du Maurier soooo... Hmmm.)

This time, it's Jamaica Inn in all it's Gothic splendor. I've read the first 30 pages and it's jolly gripping so far (and with it's dank home, rotten uncle and downtrodden aunt,

It's wonderful stuff!

I'll second that. In fact I often forget how good she is. When I read J I it was in a book with 3 other stories:- My Cousin Rachel, Frenchman's Creek and Rebecca - all great reads.

Rebecca is one of my favourite books and I read Frenchman's Creek in Cornwall last year: I enjoyed it, although I prefer her darker moments. I got hold of a brand new copy of Julius in a charity shop in Bath (the slightly infamous 'incest' novel), so that's waiting to be read.

I want to read My Cousin Rachel as that sounds superbly weird and creepy.

Daphne du Maurier was a really fascinating person too: revision last year was so much fun! :D

I'm looking forward to all the celebrations that are going to be on over the next month or so: I believe it's her 100th anniversary (tho' I may be wrong), and the BBC are going DdM crazy! Including a documentary by, who else, Rick Stein... Er, of course? (Eh? Rick Stein? I know he's 'Mr Cornwall' but that is just too, too odd).

I'm looking forward to all the celebrations that are going to be on over the next month or so: I believe it's her 100th anniversary (tho' I may be wrong), and the BBC are going DdM crazy!

Oh goody! :D

If I was to have a re-read list Daphne Du Maurier would definately be on it - I read her novels in the 90's so can only remember that the stories were good.