Polka Dot Rock's Books of 2007: Part 2

Polka Dot Rock

Hooray! :D

Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons has finally arrived today, after being on order since November! I'm so excited!

And it also counts as a Modern Classic in my list as it's forever appearing on 100 Greatest Novels etc list, as well as being a favourite of heaps of writers who I like.

Also on the Graphic Novel front, the third issue of Buffy 'season 8' is out tomorrow - woo hoo!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally finished How Novels Work by John Mullan as I was dipping into it over the last few months: WONDERFUL book, a must for anyone who loves their fiction. He makes things so easy to grasp, and the range of novels he uses to demonstrate his point is fabulous: I also loved the way he used 18th and 19th Century texts alongside modern novels to further explain his points.

Incredibly readable: it should be a set text from A Level, methinks.

Watchmen is continuing to live up to the hype: incredibly complex graphic novel that still compels you to read it. I can see why the film is stuck in pre-production hell - I have no idea how anyone could do it! Beautiful artwork too, and the gory bits aren't in-your-face, so that pleases me :D (Me and fictional violence: Violent text - fine, violent images - haunted for weeks!)

I've cracked on with Norwegian Wood too, but I'm not actually sure if I'm enjoying it. I feel it's too reminiscent of other novels I've read and I don't know if I care enough about what's happening to continue.

It seems to mythologise women too, which is fine but boring - I feel like I've read it all before.

I have a sneaky suspicion that it was actually quite groundbreaking at the time of release, but that it's been a bit too influential (hence reminding me of other novels).

It's a bit humourless too, so I don't feel like I'm getting much enjoyment from it.

So, I don't know whether to carry on. It's very readable but I don't know if I'm in the right frame of mind...

I am liking the sound of 'The Big Fat Bitch Book' by Kate Figes -have read and enjoyed 'What About Me?' - Is this a new one?

Virago link for The Big Fat Bitch Book For Girls

I'm not sure what else she has written, but I've read through a few chapters of The Big Fat Bitch Book and I think it's great! Very funny and very thought-provoking.

I'd highly recommend it for anyone with teenage daughters, too :D It's a double-sided book: one side is a polemical/philosophical discussion for women, and when you flip it over, it's an advice book for teenagers. It's great! I wish it had been around when I was at school.

Virago link for The Big Fat Bitch Book For Girls

I'm not sure what else she has written, but I've read through a few chapters of The Big Fat Bitch Book and I think it's great! Very funny and very thought-provoking.

I'd highly recommend it for anyone with teenage daughters, too :D It's a double-sided book: one side is a polemical/philosophical discussion for women, and when you flip it over, it's an advice book for teenagers. It's great! I wish it had been around when I was at school.

thank you I am going to have a look at the link. I think Kate Figes used to write for the Guardian or Independent - I seem to remember reading articles about parenting in the last few years or so. :D

I finished Watchmen this afternoon and I think it's amazing: the ending is completely devastating and unexpected. Incredibly powerful stuff... I'll write more on it once I've had chance to mull it over a wee while, as it was quite an intense read (but entertaining too).

Still not sure what to make of Norwegian Wood, so I picked up The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon (which I found last week in a charity shop for 50p!). John Mullan referred to it quite a lot on How Novels Work (see above), so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm really, really enjoying it so far. It's two of my favourite things in a novel - funny and poignant, and Chris' narrative voice is incredibly strong. I feel protective of him already!

One of my oldest friends' has a cousin who has Aspergers Syndrome and I know she has Dog in the Night Time, so I'll be interested to know what she thinks about the way it features in the book.

I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time last night: I absolutely loved it! I can completely understand why it's been so successful.

I thought Chris a wonderful character, and the narrative is so strong that it really made me see everything from Chris's point of view.

Really, I want to write more about it as I just thought it was so brilliantly written :D

List Updated ;)

In celebration of the centenary of Daphne du Maurier's birth, I have embarked upon My Cousin Rachel. I was really tired last night, so I've only managed Sally Beauman's introduction and the first chapter but what a first chapter! Very eerie and atmospheric.

Tonight, I'll be off to watch BBC2's du Maurier-tastic programming (and hopefully have a glance at Eurovision too!).

I've decided to order Rachel Cusk's Arlington Park from GreenMetropolis as I read a really good review this afternoon (plus it's been nominated for the Orange Prize so that means there will be all but one of the shortlist in the house!). Years ago, I read a short story of hers (which was beautiful) then her first novel (Saving Agnes, thought it was okay), so I'm definitely up for exploring more of her recent work :)

Late last night, I finished My Cousin Rachel: the conclusion was brilliant - I think it's one of the best last lines I've ever read! I think it's one of those novels you really appreciate after you've read it. Thinking back to it, the atmosphere was really claustrophobic and, well, just plain weird (in a good way). Phillip was an excellent character, charming yet a pretty horrendous human being! He really had a fear of women, lol.

I've now placed The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber by my bed, ready to begin. I'm really looking forward to reading it - I've been intrigued by it for years so 'touch-wood' that it lives up to its promise!

I've now placed The Crimson Petal and The White by Michel Faber by my bed, ready to begin. I'm really looking forward to reading it - I've been intrigued by it for years so 'touch-wood' that it lives up to its promise!

It caught my eye when it first came out and like you I've not read it yet - I'll be interested to hear how you find it.

Judy - I read the first chapter last night and it is absolutely stunning. I can't remember reading an opening quite as striking as it is! Extremely promising: I can't wait to get back to reading it!

It's like all the Victorian-era literature we love but with all the manky/scandalous/sweary bits left in ;) Plus all beautifully written!

Faber takes on a bit of a Thackeray narrative persona too, which I just love.

Judy - I read the first chapter last night and it is absolutely stunning. I can't remember reading an opening quite as striking as it is! Extremely promising: I can't wait to get back to reading it!

It's like all the Victorian-era literature we love but with all the manky/scandalous/sweary bits left in ;) Plus all beautifully written!

Another one for the 'wish list', sounds like a good read.

Late last night, I finished My Cousin Rachel: the conclusion was brilliant - I think it's one of the best last lines I've ever read! I think it's one of those novels you really appreciate after you've read it. Thinking back to it, the atmosphere was really claustrophobic and, well, just plain weird (in a good way). Phillip was an excellent character, charming yet a pretty horrendous human being! He really had a fear of women, lol.

I'm really looking forward to reading this now. I've added it to my wish list. You sell books well!! You should go in to book marketing ;)

I'm really looking forward to reading this now. I've added it to my wish list. You sell books well!! You should go in to book marketing ;)

Why thank you! :) I did do marketing for a bit but loathed it... However, I wouldn't mind marketing books - think of the freebies!!

It is a very absorbing read :lol:

A contender for a Chunky Challenge - that would make me read it. It sounds good - I'm off to add it to LibraryThing.

I've reserved a copy of The Crimson Petal and the white from the library. Looking forward to reading it.
A contender for a Chunky Challenge - that would make me read it. It sounds good - I'm off to add it to LibraryThing.

Hey great stuff guys! :) I'm really enjoying it so far - it's incredibly readable, beautifully written (the details are exquisite!) yet very, very funny and bawdy. Actually, it's incredibly graphic in parts (as part of it is set in a brothel) - my eyes nearly popped out a couple of times towards the end of the first part! (Like this: ;), lol!) But it's all part of the narrative and the sense of the novel being what Victorian writers couldn't actually write, yet must have known went on, at the time.

List Updated B)

I've also updated my Chunky Challenge thread, by updating entries for April's book, The Tenderness of Wolves and my current Chunky Choice for this month, The Crimson Petal and the White.

My Classic Challenge has also been 'spruced up' a bit :)

In the last week, I've somehow ended up with five more books (:roll:), including Rachel Cusk's latest novel Arlington Park, Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl, and from the local charity shops, Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis, Small Island by Andrea Levy and Kartography by Kamila Shamsie :D

I finished The Crimson Petal last night and now I feel utterly bereft!! :) I feel like I had to say goodbye to a friend.

What can I say? It's an absolutely staggering novel and it really is true what some of the reviews said: at 835 pages long, it does feel too short!

Definitely 10/10 :lol: