Bookcrossing

Janet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookcrossing allows you to mark your books with a tracking number, make a journal entry and release information, so that when you give them away they can possibly be tracked. Of course the person receiving them has to be willing to participate, of the hundreds of books I've registered and released only about 6 have made journal entries. It also allows you to see "wild' book releases in your area so that you may go pick them up. I think it's a fun site, I wish more people in my area would make entries though :lol:

I'm a member and have released a few books over the years but never had anyone find them! I'm signed up for alerts when books are released around me but again, not had any luck so far :lol:

Hi Vicki - welcome to BCF. :lol:

I've had a couple found, which is really exciting.

I found one in a charity shop in Penrith (it was listed as being there so I specifically went to look for it).

Because of this, I left some registered ones in a charity shop in Chippenham - someone made an entry saying they "didn't think that was the idea..." but at least I knew they'd be 'safe'!

I put one in a dovecote that was for sale in a garden centre as I thought it might be easy to find and unlikely to be moved by the store owners but it was never found.

I don't like the idea of leaving them in the open in case it rains and they get damaged, but sometimes it's difficult to know where to leave them.

I didn't realise you could sign up for alerts to releases - I will check that out.

I suppose if someone like my Aunt found one, then it would be 'lost' as she's never used a computer in her life and wouldn't know what to do!

I've only ever really registered books that were getting swapped out and I've never found one yet - but I keep hoping that one day I will!

Hi Vicki - welcome to BCF. :lol:

Because of this, I left some registered ones in a charity shop in Chippenham - someone made an entry saying they "didn't think that was the idea..." but at least I knew they'd be 'safe'!

I did this with a big pile of books I got rid of last year - I haven't heard from any of them - and like you I wanted to keep them 'safe'. I read somewhere that someone found one on a bookshelf in IKEA.

I did this with a big pile of books I got rid of last year - I haven't heard from any of them - and like you I wanted to keep them 'safe'. I read somewhere that someone found one on a bookshelf in IKEA.

Oooh - Ikea is a good idea, as is MfI! Thanks for the idea. :lol:

Exciting...well done. Never found a completely wild one, but have gone looking for releases on occasions. Signing up for release alerts sometimes works although sometimes by the time they come through, it is a good few hours since the release.

Happy Bookcrossing.:lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I took four books into Bath last week. I put them in sealed plastic bags and wrote "Free Book - Please See Inside Front Cover" on the outside and I left two on the Park and Ride bus, one on a bench outside Bath Abbey and one in a 'free' newspaper rack.

I thought they might be really good, obvious places.

However, no luck after one week.

I know someone found the one by the Abbey, because Mum and I passed the plastic bag in the gutter of a road nearby (litter bugs! :blush: ) but nobody has been on Bookcrossing to say they've found them.

I realise that they might not have the internet, but it's really disappointing. :) I've only had three 'caught' and two of those were in charity shops. The third was in a hotel (not where I left it) and the 'catcher' said she would release it in her native Canada after reading it, but that was back in January and she hasn't made any release notes.

Has anyone here who participates had any luck recently? It's rather put me off trying again.

I released one recently at a busy garden center, but no luck. We have a OBCZ (official book crossing zone bookshelf) here in Aberdeen at the Belmont Cinema cafe. We have a monthly meetup, and qutie a healthy bookshelf where we swap and leave books, but a lot of them are taken too and never journalled. It is a bit disheartening I know. I tend to try and release books I am not too bothered about being journaled and maybe offer others I want to share as bookrings/rays I have enjoyed. It is exciting when you see a book being picked up and taken though, every hopeful they will join or journal it. Keep trying you never know. I did have one book turn up in India once!! Would lovel to know how it ended up there!

I have what might be a silly question about bookcrossing, but I've been sent PMs from people but don't know where to go to read them?! Can anyone help? Thank goodness they get emailed to me too!

• 4 months later...

I've been a member for a while. Released lots of books but not had that many replies really. Still you never know when one will pop up!

I've only ever found one, completely by fluke. I was leaving a book in my doctors surgery and spotted a book was already on the table (it was The Beach) I picked it up and it was a bookcrossing book! So I replaced it with my own.

• 4 weeks later...

I overheard a conversation in the staffroom today where someone said they had caught a book so I excitedly told them I was involved in BC. However I deliberately didn't give them my BC name because I wanted to keep that separate from school and people directly in my life. Is anyone else the same or do you proudly tell people your BC name and names on here, LT etc?

I tell people about here quite happily. However, I keep my membership of a certain Neighbours forum quiet from those in my personal life! :roll:

I'm a bit disillusioned with Bookcrossing, to be honest. :D I've released a few books in the last six months and none have been caught.

That's fine, apart from the fact that I know one was because I found the plastic bag that I'd written on the outside of in a gutter in Bath - so someone had found my book, chucked the rubbish on the floor (litterbugs :) ) but that's the last I heard of it!

Yeah it is disappointing when people don't reply but I usually put them in places where I can walk past again later and see if it's been picked up, and you never know when one will resurface.

I don't really talk to people about bookcrossing, except when they're around if I'm releasing a book (or in the case of people I live with when I'm registering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...