A Question For Harry Potter People! (There May Be Spoilers)

Chrissy

A question formed in my head as I was travelling on a ferry across the English Channel. (I was concentrating on NOT feeling unwell.). The question is this................

Harry's Boggart appeared as a Dementor to him in POA. Since he conquered his fear, and was able to conjure a Patronus what form would a Boggart take for him thereafter?

I think it's a two parter really, as I would think that Boggart wise there is the time period between first meeting them with Remus Lupin and the books leading up to DH, and the time after his final battle with Oldy Moldy Voldy.

Anyone think of anything for this?

That's what I thought B-C, but the fact that he didn't fear Voldy more than the Dementors when he was first introduced to the Boggart made me wonder if that would truly be the case, even as things develop through the series.

Mmmm, I think this will take some more pondering. :lol:

Between POA and The Deathly Hallows, I'd go with Voldy - remember, Voldmort didn't return proper until the Goblet of Fire, Harry probably didn't have as much reason to fear him before then.

After that, I reckon it would be

the Ghost of Colin Creevy *Flash*

Even if Harry can conjure a Patronus, won't his fear of the Dementors still be there? I mean, if Ron puts roller-skates on his Boggart spider and laughs at it, that's all good and well, but won't he still be scared of itty-bitty real-life spiders?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I just assumed the Boggart would always be the same, and that they were only vanishing their fear temporarily.

Even if Harry can conjure a Patronus, won't his fear of the Dementors still be there? I mean, if Ron puts roller-skates on his Boggart spider and laughs at it, that's all good and well, but won't he still be scared of itty-bitty real-life spiders?

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I just assumed the Boggart would always be the same, and that they were only vanishing their fear temporarily.

I agree with you. I still think he would fear the Dementor and the Boggart would stay in that form. Another example: Neville is afraid of Snape but when conquering the Boggart, he made Snape wear his gran's clothes, but overall he was still afraid of Snape.

Although I do agree that Ron would still fear spiders, and Neville (bless him) still has Snape issues, but I wondered if it would be different for Harry.

His Patronus is strong, so he has a way of defeating Dementors, and didn't Remus Lupin comment on it being good that his fear was fear itself?

Therefore, what I'm saying is after POA he wouldn't have the same issues with Dementors that he had, and wouldn't the real Voldy make an imitation Boggart one so insignificant as to make it almost amusing?

Raven, I love your suggestion post DH. It sent a shiver through me remembering.

Thanks for answering folks, I had/have a need to discuss it with fellow Potterites. :lol:

He doesn't actually fear the dementors themselves though does he?! He fears how they make him feel as he remembers his mothers screams etc. The death of his parents will always impact on his life, so I think that he would still fear having to hear and remember their death.

This could just be me, but when I look back on the series after having finished DH, I would imagine that Harry's greatest fear, after overcoming the dementors and Mouldy Shorts would possibly be the attention. Looking at the human side of Harry's character, he hated being put in the spotlight and if there were a story that followed the events after the war I can imagine Harry spent a lot of time being interviewed and photographed. Maybe Rita Skeeter would be what the bogart turned into :lol:

That would be a really interesting question to hear answered by Ms. Rowling.

I reckon a boggart could possibly take the form of Cedric Diggory if it wanted to mess with him, for a long time Harry was trying to come to terms with the manner of his death and where the blame lay. If we are talking between Azkaban and Hallows, I would think that would frighten him a pretty serious amount what with the various psychological implications such an unexpected appearance of a ghostly spectre of Cedric would conjure inside of Harry.

I agree with you. I still think he would fear the Dementor and the Boggart would stay in that form. Another example: Neville is afraid of Snape but when conquering the Boggart, he made Snape wear his gran's clothes, but overall he was still afraid of Snape.

As others have pointed out, Snape was still a threat for Neville though, even after the boggart had been "Grannified" - the point is to defeat the Boggart, not conquer the underlying fear.

With Harry he fears what the Dementors bring, but he finds a way to tackle them, so if a boggart becomes what you fear the most, it makes sense that Harry's boggart experience would be different after he had defeated real Dementors (and also once Voldmort got a new body, and he witnessed Diggory's death).

Chrissy, re my post DH remark, that is by far the funniest death in the Potter books, it's so off-hand and in passing it's like

"Oh, and Colin died too. Is that cup of tea for me?"

I keep coming back to Dementors, but something just doesn't work anymore with them being his Boggart.

In DH he not only deals with them at the Ministry, but he also has that moment as he enters the forest where he makes peace with the four of significance (I'm being cryptic!). Would the feeling the Dementors give him still have such a hold?

I agree that definitely after DH it wouldn't be Voldemort, but I don't believe it would have been before either. His match with the Big V was inevitable, which I think would remove the aspect of fear that Boggarts work off of.

I think it must be loss of loved ones, in the same way as Mrs. Weasley. It seems the most logical, although I wonder if the answer is out there.

I'm going to write to JK Rowling! I may have to sign it love Chrissy aged (42 and 1/2). :smile2:

after Deathly Hallows probably a bit cliche but Harry being Harry it would probably be the dead body of someone he loved

This is what I would say too. Typical Harry!

Chrissy, re my post DH remark, that is by far the funniest death in the Potter books, it's so off-hand and in passing it's like

"Oh, and Colin died too. Is that cup of tea for me?"

:smile2::lol: This made me chuckle!

I also love all the nicknames used for Voldemort on this thread.....Mouldy Shorts, Oldy Moldy Voldy, The Big V ;)

• 10 months later...
snapback.pngRawr, on 19 March 2010 - 12:33 AM, said: I reckon a boggart could possibly take the form of Cedric Diggory.

I don't agree with you Rawr, Harry wasn't afraid of Cedric Diggory, he was just sad when he died.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, but wasn't the whole point of Harry fearing a Dementor that he fears fear itself? Isn't that what Lupin told him? So he doesn't really fear the physical form of the Dementor, but rather he fears being paralyzed when faced with danger. Unable to protect himself and those he loves. Which fits rather nicely with his history of having people die around him!

I never thought Harry feared Voldemort. He always went and got right up in his grill, didn't he?