Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read two chapters of Living Dead in Dallas last night and am reacquainting myself with all of the characters. It's gotten off to a flying start already. :D

I've read more of Gone with the Wind this morning and I am tantalisingly close to the end. I'll be sorry when I finish it though. :D

Trying to finish Norwegian Wood. I may die in the process. People actually like this stuff?!
That's what I thought :D I gave up a third of the way through so I admire your resilience. I felt really bad for not finishing it as it was a present from my sister, however I didn't find much in there that appealed to me apart from the title.

That's what I thought :D I gave up a third of the way through so I admire your resilience. I felt really bad for not finishing it as it was a present from my sister, however I didn't find much in there that appealed to me apart from the title.

Be glad you didn't. In the 'sex in books' thread I said I had never come across a book with enough sex to make me think, 'that was gratuitous'. Now I have. It's COMPLETELY pointless and ridiculously central to the non-story. And not only that, it's absolutely dire all round, the characters, the lack of a story, the complete lack of realism....

Gee, you really make me glad I put it down Noll. More than anything else I couldn't stand the way it was written, I can forgive a lot if made to care about people, but I don't think I've ever read more anestethised, frozen, I-couldn't-care-less-and-I'm-the-author prose! Dire indeed. Poor you, I hope you get to delve into better things soon.

Oh I have some nice books lined up I think, once I get through this I've that book that author sent me which should be good, as well as Kostova's new one, Glen Duncan's 'I, Lucifer' which I had reeeeally wanted and some Chevalier and Shreve who are two ladies I already know I enjoy the works of. And Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell in the background :D

Have finished Skin Trade, it's much better than the last few books but I felt the ending was anti-climatic.

Have started the Collected Works of Edgar Allan Poe which will take a while. I was reading for ages last night and I'm still only half way through the second short story!

I just finished Gone with the Wind. Phew! What an epic novel! It's definitely one that is going to stay with me for a long time and will be re-read in the future.

Wow, you did it! In 1,5 weeks too, at that!! Good job Kylie :D Sorry to know it's over for you though, I know how much you liked the novel :D Maybe you should have one of those mourning costumes? And a veil? Or at least an Onyx-stone!

I'm gonna be reading GwtW today :lol:

Yes, the ending is rather... well I don't know :D King tends to do that a lot and it is one of his biggest weaknesses in my opinion.

I feel that Cell starts brilliantly but loses it's way around the two thirds mark, it's as if he had a really good beginning to a situation but then didn't know where to go after, if he wasn't so stubborn on getting so many stories out then I think he would have conjured something better up, but the man's productivity is to be admired even if sometimes it can be irritating when the ending is a let down :D

Yet another heavy snowstorm, just made it safely back home from work after a treacherous drive. My kindle says I'm 73% done with My Name Is Red so I have a shot at finishing it tonight. But I'm looking to download something a bit lighter after the stress of the day.