Finish the thought, game (join in)

suddenly full of curiosity.

"Any problems mentioned?" Dex muttered, plaintively.

"No, why would an 80 odd yr old retired private eye have a problem he could tell me about?" asked Petrel, inquisitively.

"No reason..I just read a book on problem free talk, so I didn't want you to have a problem. Problem free talk is allied to solution focused brief therapy, used in psychology programmes in USA" declared Dex, wholeheartedly.

Petrel

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

felt her eyes starting to glaze over.  Dex had a habit of going off on these tangents that she had difficulty following, mainly because they always seemed to be talking at cross purposes.

'But why would you think I was trying to arrest you? And what's it got to do with Dennis?' Petrel persisted. Years of training and working as a PI meant that she wasn't easily .........

Immune to nerves in a vague, shifty, acquaintance.

"Well you see I've been reading a lot of Jo Nesbo...it's beginning to make me a bit paranoid. You see, all talk of investigation, murder, etc, makes me all jumpy. Lets go for a burger with chips and egg."

Petrel was rather wary, it seemed like Dex was hiding something.

She decided to leave it and weigh up what is going on with Dex.

"So Dex, what is your favourite drink? " she asked, curiously.

"Me I love pints of strong beer, cider etc" declared Dex, frankly.

They

Edited by itsmeagain

found they didn't have that in common, Petrel preferred something a little more exotic. She described a drink from her islands called Coco d'amour and Dex was very relieved to have a change of subject.  'That sounds French,' remarked Dex, 'do you speak French?'

'Not just French, but also ........

Spanish, Swedish, Swiss, Portuguese, Swahili , Serbo Croat, and German" declared Petrel.Dex stumbled, and said"is that all? Any more?..oh and if you're a private tec why were you locked in a detention centre with Poppy?"@sked Dex, deliberately, in order to...

Edited by itsmeagain

deflect attention off himself, attack being the best form of defence and all that jazz.

'Just a little misunderstanding, it was nothing at all.' Petrel was good at side-stepping too. Her visa hadn't been in order, but she wasn't about to tell Dex about that. 'So what languages do you speak Dex, apart from Brummie?'

Dex found himself .....

'It's something I prefer not to talk about, Petrel,' Dex's face took on a lugubrious look. ''Brings back painful memories, he stole the love of my life.' He gave a most affecting sniff and wiped a tear from his eye.

'Old Denny 'Has Trouble Doing His Duty Anymore' stole the love of your life??' asked Petrel incredulously.

Edited by poppy

Dex, keen to hide his surprise, but unsure how to do so, said"Yes, well, old he is, ..a thief too, perchance....but stay!!...do you fancy that you hear a warbler cry?" in an affected manner.

"Is that a quote from one of the classics? . ..I know Dickens used to use old fashioned speech, a bit like that" intoned Petrel, dishearteningly.

Edited by itsmeagain

'It was more in the manner of The Bard actually, but you're on the right track. 'To sleep, perchance to dream' ; 'To Be Or Not To Be,' and all that.' Dex waved his hand around airily.

Petrel was really beginning to wonder if he was all there, all this weird talk.....she was not a great reader.

Dex continued, 'I could ..........

While away the hours,

conferring with the flowers

consulting with the rain

yet when I tell you about books

and you look look disinterested

it truly is a pain"...!@ round of desultory clapping from three old men propping up the bar

.Petrel was in the toilet , on the phone to Poppy.

Two nerdy looking blokes were propping up the bar with multi-coloured, mutated looking cocktails in their hands. They were deep in conversation, 'So Sheridon, you going to come to the con with me? It's anime cosplay.' Dex didn't understand a word of this so, so he refrained from commenting. Petrel did, however. 'That's sounds insane! Can anyone go?'

Dave and Sheridon introduced themselves as Dave and Sheridon....moustachioed Dave winked at Petrel, and Dex fancied she gave him the glad eye in return.

"So sweet" said Dave suggestively, " where have you been all my life?"

"Nowhere you would know" , Dex fired archly back across the table.

"In point of fact, Petronia..err Petrel..is now part of a bcf topic called finish the thought game" declared Dex insouciantly.

"Do not, pray, try to patronize me then" finished Dex, effusive yet annoyed.

"Have it your own way then" declared Dave peevishly.

"Oh he shall" said Sheridon, sipping daiquiri and dandelion through a red straw.

'Time we got going, Petrel,' Dex growled.

'But why? The night is young. I'm going to give the girls a ring to see if they want to join us. But you go home if you want, you look a bit tired.'

'I'm not the slightest bit tired!' Dex retorted, 'I just  .........

a bit peeved really These here men are mere fly by nights, obsessed by their own perceived status.

I do not wish to elaborate further" he said stiffly.

When he turned round,Petrel was leaving.

Poppy, Anna,and Carlina all

Edited by itsmeagain

traipsed in. 'Where are you going with those dweebs?' Poppy whispered to Petrel.

'We're going to a anime convention, I'm going to dress up as a Naruto character.'

'A what????'

But too late, Petrel was gone. For the first time Dex saw Carlina and Anna ......