Michelle 2009

Michelle

Ok, I'm going to try to keep up with this!

I started the year by finishing The Thirteenth Tale. As I said in one of the threads about it here, although I appreciate some of the criticisms, overall I really liked it, and it certainly hooked me.

Following that was The Household Guide to Dying.. reviewed on the blog, but basically a very good read, after a shaky start.

I tried to read The Rose Labyrinth, but had to give up.. the reviews have been mixed, but for me it just wasn't going anywhere fast enough. I also have A secret Alchemy on hold.. it also wasn't grabbing me, but I haven't read enough to give it a chance yet, so I will return to it.

Non-fiction wise, I'm reading Julie Walter's autobiography.. although it's interesting stuff, it's not as good as Dawn French's, which I loved. I'm also reading The Writer's Tale by Russell T Davies, and I am LOVING it! :(

Last night I started The Cradle Snatcher (extract here), which is a review book- I'm not sure where it's going, but I like the writing style.

Today I received a proof copy of The Innocents, which is apparently the last book in The Edge Chronicles, but can also be read as an introduction. Kell has read them all, so she will also be reviewing it, and we can give two different perspectives.

Phew! Someone please prod me if I don't keep this up to date! :roll:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed with myself, I've attempted to read The Hobbit numerous times. I'll try again and this time really try, some time later in the year.

Well Ben, in the same way that LOTR isn't for everyone, The Hobbit probably isn't either. :) We read it in my very first year of secondary school, and our very strict deputy head used to read sections to us, complete with funny voices, and it's kept a special place in my memories.

Anyway, Beth read the first few pages, and seemed to enjoy it, so she's happy to read it with me.

Last night I started The Innocents, and it's good so far. :)

I still can't decide what I think of The Cradle Snatcher.. review to follow. Nearly finished The Immortals.. I love the whole idea of these chronicles, and am going to go back to the earlier books very soon.

Edited by Michelle

Whilst trying to make sure GR and LT were up to date, I realised that I've given up on Julie Walter's autobiography for now. It is an interesting read, with the humour you would expect from Julie. However, I feel I've been spoilt by Dawn French's autobiography, which was so well written, funny *and* touching, that all others are going to struggle.

The other thing I found about this book was that Julie does go off on tangents, and also changes subject quite abruptly. It's actually a reflection of a natural way of telling your life stories, but in a book format, it doesn't quite work for me

I can't wait for Dawn French's autobiography to come out in paperback. :blush:

Shame about Julie Water's one as you'd think it would be great too, but I guess being a funny person and a fab actress doesn't always make one a great writer. Her fiction book (I can't remember the name now) got an average of 1 star on Amazon, if I remember correctly!

There's a thread here about them. They're children's fantasy books, but they're so well imagined. They're easy read books, which means they're good for relaxing, as well as picking up and down when time is short. :blush:

Ah, thank you for that, Michelle :lol:. I'll be looking into it, as it truly does seem like something that would be a fun and interesting read to give a chance to.

• 2 weeks later...

The Edge Chronicle books have gone on hold, because I have a few review books to get to.. I'm about half way through The Winter Knights, and shall return to it soon.

One of the review books is Mr Toppit, which I'm really enjoying. I've also just received a proof from Panguin, for Lost and Found by Lucy Cavendish, which looks interesting.

This year seems a little slower than last year, but a good mix so far. :blush: