A new first line of current book

Nici

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a guiding metaphor for Opus Dei, the spiritual organization founded in Spain in 1928 by Saint JoseMaria Escriva that has become the most controversial force in Roman Catholicism, think of it as the Guiness Extra Stout of the Catholic Church. It's a strong brew, definitely and acquired taste, and clearly not for everyone.

Opening two lines from the introduction of Opus Dei, by John L. Allen, Jr.

"When you're sitting at home flicking through the bunch of holiday brochures you picked up from your local high street travel agent, you never really think to yourself: "This will be the holiday that will change my life", do you?"

- Wish you were here, by Mike Gayle

"The light hadn't even officially turned green at the intersection of 17th and Broadway before an army of overconfident yellow cabs roared past the tiny deathtrap I was attempting to navigate around the city streets."

The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger.

I read that a few months ago. I loved the film but could not get into the book. I should have done it the other way around and saw the film second.

"On a sweltering afternoon in early June, Celia Fox stands at the railing of her deck and smokes the second-to-last cigarette she'll allow herself before going to work."

Helpless: Barbara Gowdy

"On a sweltering afternoon in early June, Celia Fox stands at the railing of her deck and smokes the second-to-last cigarette she'll allow herself before going to work."

Helpless: Barbara Gowdy

Recognise that one too...:)

'Outside, the technicolor sunset is giving way to the silvery sweep of searchlights over distant Cardiff as a hand tugs the blackout curtain across the sky.'

'The Welsh Girl' by Peter Ho Davies