Book Spa

Nellie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhhh, my idea of heaven. From what I have seen on the website the whole store looks delightful. Shame I am too far away from Bath otherwise I would 'make' hubby treat me, too. On the other hand, if I would live nearby I probably would never be out of the store so maybe it's a good thing that I don't. Had to have a giggle about the 'bath and girl not included' reference beneath one of the pictures on the spa site. I hope you have a fantastic time and I think you have a very thoughtful husband :D

x

I have dropped *HUGE* hints to my hubby about this! :lol:

I hope those hints involved emailing him a link to the website, leaving post-it notes with details around the house and tattooing it backwards on his forehead so he sees it every time he looks in a mirror! :D

I hope those hints involved emailing him a link to the website, leaving post-it notes with details around the house and tattooing it backwards on his forehead so he sees it every time he looks in a mirror! :D

:lol: LOL! I haven't quite gone that far, but I've mentioned it to my Mum too so hopefully she'll pass on the hint to him nearer to Christmas, seeing as she's a book lover too!

I love the idea of this book spa!! I showed my BF the site, don't know that it will happen though ;)

Fingers crossed for you too! :readingtwo:

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my Book Spa at Mr B's! It was fanastic. I arrived at 10am and was shown to the bibliotherapy room. I was given a nice cup of coffee and a pain au chocolat while Nic, the owner of Mr B's chatted to me about my recent reads. I had sent him a list prior to visiting, so he knew what I liked. The list I had sent contained the following authors (in no particular order):

Graham Green

PG Wodehouse

JK Rowling

Terry Pratchett

John Wydham

Evelyn Waugh

Susan Cooper

F.Scott Fitzgerald

Agatha Christie

We had a good chat and Nic asked me what it was I liked about those authors. Was it the characters, the genre, the atmosphere? He also asked me whether there was a location that I liked, as much of what I read is set in England. There is no real reason for that, it just worked out that way. I told him I was very fond of the west country, Wales and also Russia where I have spent some time. I had asked to be taken out of my reading comfort zone and introduced to something really different for me, perhaps including some modern classics.

He also asked me about non-fiction and I told him about how I liked physics, particularly the weird quantum physics that makes your brain explode if you think too hard about it. :)

Once Nic had some ideas, he went off around the shop and bought me back a huge pile of books. He made several trips and I ended up with 25+ books to choose from. He took me through each one telling me why he thought I would like it.

Here is what he suggested and I took home with me:

The Island Of Dr Moreau

The Trouble With Physics - Lee Smolin: All about String Theory. I am part way through, and it is an excellent book, not that accessible though, you would need to have some background in physics I think. For me thats fine, I studied it!

It sounds like you had a great time. This book sounds particularly interesting. OH has studied physics and explained a lot of things to me. String theory is something I am very interested in reading more about.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - sounds amazing & the 3 books I've read from your 9 are brilliant :D

I just love this old style tailored service which leaves you feeling pampered and valued.....now big question -

When is your husband running his Masterclass In Present Buying ? and can I book a place for my OH ?

• 5 months later...
When I called up to book, they asked me briefly what I liked to read and what sorts of things I was interested in, as depending what I wanted to talk about depended which one of their team talked to me.

I'm going tomorrow! :D

I feel unnecessarily nervous and I don't know why as I'm quite a confident person really!

One thing though - they didn't ask me what kind of books I like when I rang to book - only what kind of cake I like. :D

Still, I'm sure it will be very enjoyable and I am excited too!

I'm going tomorrow! :yes:

I feel unnecessarily nervous and I don't know why as I'm quite a confident person really!

One thing though - they didn't ask me what kind of books I like when I rang to book - only what kind of cake I like. :)

Still, I'm sure it will be very enjoyable and I am excited too!

How did it go? WHat books did you see? I have been so excited on your behalf!

Just read through this thread for the first time and can't believe how wonderful it all sounded. What a wonderful present and how enterprising of Mr B to do something like that. A little bit of time with a customer plus some pampering and you came out with 9 books!!

There are very few independent booksellers left around now which is so sad, even the one independent one in my area is having a closing down sale after years of being in the town.:) I don't just blame the Big Boys, it has to be down to Amazon as well, although I'm ashamed to say I am an Amazon customer - what to do eh?:yes:

Do let's know how it all went though Janet.

How did it go? WHat books did you see? I have been so excited on your behalf!

First off, I owe them an apology because I remembered that they had asked me what I read, but it was very general in terms of genre only.

It was amazing. I was seen by Nic (the shop owner - he runs it with his wife). We spent about 20-25 minutes discussing what I've read recently (I took along a list of the books I've absolutely loved in the last few years) and whether there is anything I've not tried but I'm curious about.

Then he pulled two books off the shelves from the room we were in and left me to look at those (and drink my lovely strong black coffee and eat my almond croissant - yum!) whilst he went off with some other choices.

He bought me about 15 books in total. Four of them I've already read - and loved - which speaks testament about how clued up he really is. Of the remaining 11 books, I liked the sound of all of them!

I spent another half an hour browsing through them before making my choices.

I came away with 6 books:

Black Rock by Amanda Smythe

Celia