Computer Help Thread

Nici

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After tons of research, I started using Kaspersky quite a few years ago, and have done so ever since. It's always top of the reports (way above AVG :)), and hasn't given me any problems.

I would certainly try the uninstall and reinstall. If it really took two hours, then there was was something wrong, and as beef said, that could be mucking all sorts of things up.

Also, do you have any other AVs on your computer, because the two together could be causing problems.

At the end of the day though, if things don't settle, and the computer shop is any good, they may give you your money back?? The other one with a great reputation is NOD32.

The company that supplies all our pc's, software & back up at work even recomend AVG so it can't be that bad plus it stooped a trojan horse on my system that came from limewire, why spend

... and in the end it's nothing but a big "my dad has a bigger car than your dad" instead of comparative conversation. *laughs*

And really. I know next to nothing about computers, I practically keep a person employed at HP tech support, so...

AVG works fine with windows firewall!

:):lol: good one.

I like AVG, I use it on my dads laptop,but at times the free version seems to get a little lax and things get through, no AV is flawless, they all miss things at times.

P.S Whoever it was that was using limewire - bad!

• 4 weeks later...

There's lots of good syware removal software out there Jules, but also alot to be avoided. I've cleaned up two computers in the past, one of which was a complete nightmare, and they needed a combination of programs.

My first point of call would be to install a trial version of Kaspersky Internet Security, as it includes pretty good anti virus, and anti spyware. Then you can see if there's anything problematic left.

I need help again :D my puter has been hijacked with spyware and I can't get rid of it! I can't even get onto the mcafee site for their help. What can I do???????

We had this problem a while ago, don`t know if your computer`s the same but we were able to do a system restore, which took the computer back to a point before the problem occured. Then the anti-virus did it`s job.

:D:lol: good one.

I like AVG, I use it on my dads laptop,but at times the free version seems to get a little lax and things get through, no AV is flawless, they all miss things at times.

P.S Whoever it was that was using limewire - bad!

We use the bought version of AVG and we have had no trouble since we installed it. You have to keep buying it when it expires but it is well worth the money.

We had this problem a while ago, don`t know if your computer`s the same but we were able to do a system restore, which took the computer back to a point before the problem occured. Then the anti-virus did it`s job.

Oh I didn't think of that, will give it a go.

Can you get to another computer, and download the program onto a disc.. then install it on yours?

Do you know what specific spyware you have, causing the problem?

If the above fails I'll see if my son will let me use his laptop and try that. Failing that Kat and O's are coming through on Sunday to have a look

Thank you guys :D

Apologies for the very long post ahead...

I wonder if someone could help my brother? He only bought his PC last Sept, and now it's not working. :D He had Norton 360 installed, but it ran out after a year and his PC started freezing etc. so he bought Norton Internet Security 2009. The installation didn't go right, so he uninstalled it and did it again, and it seemed OK for a short while. But now when he switches his PC on, all he gets is the following white text on a black background:

Checking file system on D:

The type of the file system is NTFS

Volume label is DATA

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.

windows will now check the disk

(It said to press any key to cancel this check, but that does not work). It then says:

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)

File record segment 136 is unreadable

File record segment 137 is unreadable

File record segment 138 is unreadable

File record segment 139 is unreadable

192 file records processed

File verification completed

0 large file records processed

4 bad file records processed

0 EA records processed

0 reparse records processed

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)

302 index entries processed

Index verification completed

0 unindexed files processed

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)

192 security descriptors processed

Security descriptor verification completed

56 data files processed

CHKDSK is verifying usn journal...

131632 usn bytes processed

usn journal verification completed.

The screen just sticks on this and never advances, so he cannot do anything except switch the PC off at the mains. Is everything corrupted?

Sorry for all the text, but I thought I'd better write the whole lot down so hopefully someone might know what is wrong.