Computer Help Thread

Nici

Beef I don't know how to do the link thing - if I put Easy Capture into Amazon it comes up with the same software - cheaper I see! The thing with the red, yellow, white and black plug ins attached to a USB :D
Looks similar to the thing i had, they are not that difficult to use :006:

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It won't even switch on now :D it's like it hasn't the power to load up, I don't think its a virus as I only ran a scan a couple of days ago and all was ok I'm using McAfee at the moment but it is due to expire in 2 weeks, not sure if I want to pay to continue or go with AVG again. When I do manage to get it going it only lasts about 10 mins before switching off again. This only started about 4 days ago.

Just to say thanks again beef it was the power unit that had gone, I took it to a local computer shop this morning and picked it up at teatime they have also given it a good clean out and check up. I've just connected it all back up and (touch wood) all is well.

beef...

When I double click my little connection icon on my laptop, I get a window that says Wireless Network Connection Status. It gives me Status, Network, Duration, Speed and Signal Strength.

The speed usually starts is 54Mbps, but keeps dropping, to 36 and 24.. and my internet seems to flake out on me if it goes low.

Now, is that speed drop telling me there's a problem with my ISP, my router, or the actual wireless connection?

Phew.. did that make sense?! :blush:

Wireless is entirely based on the router. Theres a few things that can cause it, most common things are if your moving further away from the router/there are walls in the way. also a lot of routers just drop wireless connections after a while (my router is guilty of this at times which is why I never use wireless). The only thing I can suggest is to look on the manufacturers website and see if there is a firmware update for your router.

Can Beef anyone please help with the following...

Not a problem as such, but I was sitting at my computer earlier when someone popped up on Messenger and made me jump!

I was a bit surprised as I hadn't got MSN open. I have no Messenger icon in my toolbar and I hadn't signed in. I clicked on 'help' and got this message.

It doesn't look like my normal messenger. I'm usually 'appear offline' but it doesn't seem to have that option.

Can anyone tell me why it randomly decided to sign me in, and how to prevent it happening again, as I didn't like the box it brought up and I couldn't see which email address it was using, or any of my contacts?

Thanks in advance. :)

hmm, thats the old fashioned embedded messenger on xp by the looks of it, change your password (computer password too as well as msn) and run a virus scan to be sure. Whatever it is does not sound good.

*edit*

Nici - define "random" ?

beef, the first message was one that had a link to a photo album, and was sent when Nici was off line.. when I tried the link, it said it was an MSN photo album, and asked for my sign in details. Natuarally I declined, and got in touch with Nici.

At various times, I had various links sent, which I didn't even bother checking. I did some searching, and there's never a specific worm or virus mentioned.. most threads advise a change of password. Nici did that, and it stopped. She also informs me that her AV etc is up to date, and she's ran lots of scans.

A capatcha breaking what now?!

The new technique of some crackers has been to build systems that allow them to break capatcha's either by tricking people into breaking them (e.g a friend on msn sends a link and you enter a capatcha to enter) or by building automated bots that can do it..still not sure how the automated ones actually work, I keep meaning to read up on it but I always forget >_<

• 1 month later...

:rant:So.......my internet protection/virus thingie recently expired so I went in search of a new one. At the computer shop it was recommened that I try Kaspersky's Internet 2009, as it is purportedly much better than Symantec's. So, convinced, I purchased it. I think that was my first mistake!

Initially we couldn't get it to load (2 hours of the bar moving across the screen telling us that it was loading when it was actually doing sod all), so we gave up. Tried it on day 2 & it actually worked! Now, ever since - I think calling it computer armagedon wouldn't be a stretch!

The anti-phishing device causes it to take 20-45 minutes for web pages to load, if they load at all! My MSN Messenger won't work, I can't log into my Yahoo account, BBC i-player won't work, and in general, everything's now running worse than ever! The worst thing is that the computer is now "blue screening" constantly.

Sometimes it will do it 4 or 5 times, then will work fine until suddenly - blue screen & the laptop crashes. Other times, it will start up ok, but the minute you try to look at anything other than my home page & it blue screens & the laptop crashes. It went through a spate of once it crashed & I would send the error report, it would come back from Microsoft saying that the report is corrupted. Most of the time the error is saying that there is a problem with one of the drivers - I have run every single diagnostic possible & there is nothing wrong with my laptop.

One of the blue screen crashes came back with that it was a firewall conflict that was causing the blue screen error, I contacted my Internet provider to see what they say & they weren't the least bit helpful - said it wasn't their fault. So, in a fit of desperation, I have removed the anti-virus programme & lo & behold - no more blue screens. Did I just waste

kappersky is as good as AVG if not better. What spec of machine is this? as those types of slowdowns are highly unusual. As for the msn etc not working, It sounds like you just need to let the firewall allow them. (There must be a management panel somewhere for it where you can allow/disallow net connections.)

*Edit* Norton is about as effective as a sieve as a ship.

*edit2*

Seems like maybe the kaspersky install is corrupt and is killing everything in it's way, try un-installing it then re-installing it. (methinks the bar was not doing "****** all" and you have killed the end of the install..)

*Edit3* Also AVG is not a firewall so on it's own is no good.

Edited by beef