Computer Help Thread

Nici

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I might do that for my actually PC it's been broken since I got it, but it was built specifically for me, and the guy who built it has moved so can't get him to look at it.

My advice would be to look in your local paper for a local shop, or even an independent person who will come to your house and look at it for you. They will usually go that little bit further to help you and wont rip you off like PC World, give them a wide wide berth.

If you can't get rid of Norton as easily as you should, go into the programs folder in Windows and delete the program as you would any other file. Be sure to have another antivirus loaded onto your hard drive before you do this. Run something such as Crapcleaner to fix the registry entries which deleting the program will have made obsolete, then run a decent defragger (Auslogics is good) to tidy up your hard drive.

It is one of the downfalls of web based email. Hackers and people who do this kind of thing just because they can, exist unfortunately.

Email packages that are installed onto your PC such as thunderbird, outlook etc are a lot safer, they can be a pain to set up but you can also set it to forward on to you emails from other your other web based email accounts.

This is not true, whether by remote client or webmail you are still connecting to the same thing, neither is any more or less secure than the other.

This is not true, whether by remote client or webmail you are still connecting to the same thing, neither is any more or less secure than the other.

The very fact that you can access webmail from any PC anywhere in the world that has internet access leaves it vulnerable to attack, along with dozens of other issues such as security flaws in web browsers that you need to use to access your emails.

Webmail is a hell of a lot less secure than email using POP3 for so many reasons. Your emails do not get stored on a POP3 server after they have been read for a start.

The very fact that you can access webmail from any PC anywhere in the world that has internet access leaves it vulnerable to attack, along with dozens of other issues such as security flaws in web browsers that you need to use to access your emails.

Webmail is a hell of a lot less secure than email using POP3 for so many reasons. Your emails do not get stored on a POP3 server after they have been read for a start.

Actually, depending on your ISP they can be.

They will only be cleared if you tell Outlook etc to clear them, and even then some ISPs don't delete them straight away (they just won't download them to you again when you next click send and receive).

And whilst it is true that web mail is more immediately accessible, POP3 e-mail is just as hackable, all you need (as with web mail) is a user name and password (SMTP and POP3 settings for most ISPs are easily accessible, once you then know a target e-mail address, all you need is a password).

Almost all webhosts/isp offer both so either way you are still open to any security holes, and as said above the email is often retained even if read via pop3/imap. I know I keep all my email, what is the point having a receipt or invoice sent that is deleted once I have read it? Unless you go to the bother of setting up your own mail server and locking it down to no webmail access and only your ip can connect, there are security issues. Also unless you set up encryption with pop3 your details are sent plainly over the internet which is less secure than using a https connection with webmail.

*edit*

Johnny - you may wish to look into thunderbird, it is a bit more secure than outlook :blush: (and looks prettier!)

Edited by beef

I spoke my one of the IT chappys at work today and he said that the hacker problem with my e-mails has happened to quite a lot of people. It appears that the virus has been spreading via hotmail. Anyhoo, he said that I should open a new account with gmail (or similar) which I have now done. I feel a bit sad for my old hotmail account though, we had been together a while!

• 3 weeks later...

My internet keeps "not responding" and it doesn't matter what browser I use. I am still on XP but I see they are stopping the secutirty updates on the 13 July 2010. What could the cause of this be please?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for virus protection software that is fairly affordable and easy to use (aka, I won't have to do anything manual with it after installation)? Mine is set to expire this month and I have had nothing but problems in the year I've had it. Every 6 hours my computer will automatically restart itself and if I don't touch it for anywhere between 5-20 minutes (aka, if I take a bathroom break or go answer the door or something) it will freeze my computer up and I'll have to manually restart it unless I remember to turn OFF the protection! :)

The one I have right now is some version of Norton, so anything besides that. I don't know anything when it comes to software so I'd really appreciate any input.

AVG can be had for free and should be enough if you are behind a router/firewall and another highly rated one is kaspersky although I have never used the later (i don't use anti-virus)

I have bother closing messenger and yahoo. Yahoo messenger insider does does not respond. Facebook is the biggest culprit. I play games on it and not all the games do "not responding". I left here for a few minutes to get some food and when I came back they were showing facebook and a message about the script whether to stop or continue.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for virus protection software that is fairly affordable and easy to use (aka, I won't have to do anything manual with it after installation)? Mine is set to expire this month and I have had nothing but problems in the year I've had it. Every 6 hours my computer will automatically restart itself and if I don't touch it for anywhere between 5-20 minutes (aka, if I take a bathroom break or go answer the door or something) it will freeze my computer up and I'll have to manually restart it unless I remember to turn OFF the protection! :)

The one I have right now is some version of Norton, so anything besides that. I don't know anything when it comes to software so I'd really appreciate any input.

I use Avira recommended to me by a technician http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html?tag=mncol

Just install it, tell it when you want it to run a scan mine does it every night and just leave it do it's thing.

I have bother closing messenger and yahoo. Yahoo messenger insider does does not respond. Facebook is the biggest culprit. I play games on it and not all the games do "not responding". I left here for a few minutes to get some food and when I came back they were showing facebook and a message about the script whether to stop or continue.

What web browser are you using? It sounds like either the web browser is crashing or the machine cant cope with what you are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone familliar with Windows 7 and/or mini laptops (aka, netbooks)? I am trying to install some programs onto my new one and am having a bit of a hard time. It won't let me change the background by right clicking on a picture and then clicking 'set as desktop wallpaper' and I can't seem to find the section under the control panel to change it there. Are you not able to change backgrounds on netbooks?

I also can't seem to figure out this new Windows 7 Microsoft Word. It doesn't seem to have spell check set up and it keeps asking for a password that I don't think I have. If I click the big X in the corner it still lets me into Word, but why does it keep asking me for a password?

It won't let me change the background by right clicking on a picture and then clicking 'set as desktop wallpaper' and I can't seem to find the section under the control panel to change it there. Are you not able to change backgrounds on netbooks?

I am having exactly the same problem, can't figure it out.

I also can't seem to figure out this new Windows 7 Microsoft Word. It doesn't seem to have spell check set up and it keeps asking for a password that I don't think I have. If I click the big X in the corner it still lets me into Word, but why does it keep asking me for a password?

I found that as well but I googled it and found how how to fix it and now it works. I think I had to change the language settings.

Try:

1. Open a document that has this problem, press Ctrl+A to select all

of the text

2. Click on Review tab | Proofing: Set Language | <choose your

language> | uncheck the "Detect language automatically" and "Do not

check spelling or grammar" boxes | Default | OK.

3. Click on Office Button | Word Options | Proofing | check the

"Check spelling as you type" and "Check grammar with spelling" boxes |

uncheck the "Hide spelling errors in this document only" and "Hide

grammar errors in this document only" boxes | OK.

Thanks Nici! I'll definitely be doing that!

Now, perchance, do you know anything about iPods and how to get music from your iPod onto your computer if you weren't the one who purchaced it? I have several files friends sent me on it and when I synched it to the netbook it only transfered the files I had personally bought on my iTunes ID. :D

Sorry for being so computer dumb... I should just give up on modern technology and become Amish.

I take it they bought them on i-tunes? I think the only thing you will be able to do is to get them to authorise your computer (i.e. log into i-tunes from your computer, click authorise computer).