Musicals

Inanna

and I am incredibly excited as Priscilla Queen of the Desert is finally making its way to Auckland (the musical version) and I cant wait. :)

I saw this last year and loved it. Absolutely terrific. The costumes are just amazing.

I'm going to see The Phantom of the Opera for the first time in a few months, and also Billy Elliot.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I am going to see 'Wicked' again in 3 weeks time. Kerry Ellis is still playing Elphaba - she finishes later this year.

I'm so jealous! I've seen Wicked twice and would LOVE to see it again.

I'm currently listening to another favourite musical of mine, Evita.

• 1 month later...

I saw 'Wicked' for the third time last evening. It was the last night for 13 cast members including Kerry Ellis who plays Elphaba. They are off to Broadway for 6 months. Because of this it was a very special poignant show. The full house was mostly people who had been before. Every song was greeted with tremendous clamour and applause causing the cast to have to pause and acknowledge the audience. At the end was a speech and roaring standing ovation. We couldn't get near the stage door afterwards because of an enormous queue full of people with flowers for Kerry. She was truly fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Just back for seeing West Side Story at Sadler's Wells with OH and kids - our end of year family treat. Went to Wagamama's first for lunch - delicious.

The performance was fantastic - audience pretty much entranced - I wanted to join in singing 'Maria' and 'America' :lol: I think Helen would have left if I did!. The rooftop dancing was magic - the original choreography. I'm still full up from noodle lunch so no tea tonight yet.

Just back for seeing West Side Story at Sadler's Wells with OH and kids - .

- I wanted to join in singing 'Maria' and 'America' :lol: I think Helen would have left if I did!. .

That brings back memories of us all seeing "The Sound of Music" film and me starting to sing to all the tunes to your embarrassment :lol:

Glad you enjoyed it and that it was a good production.

I love musicals, both film and theatre. My most favorite experience was seeing Elaine Paige in Sunset Blvd in London over 10 years ago. I've also seen and loved (some multiple times) Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Beauty and the Beast, Sound of Music, Secret Garden, Into the Woods, Rent, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Showboat, Les Miserables and Cats.

As far as movies go, my favorites are:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

High Society

Holiday Inn

American in Paris

Singin' in the Rain

There's No Business Like Show Business

Mother Wore Tights

Guys and Dolls

White Christmas

South Pacific

Showboat

On the Town

Oh my, I think I could name many more! Pretty much name anything starring Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Betty Grable, Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Donald O'Connor, Mitzi Gaynor, Ann Miller and I'm there. Plus many more I'm forgetting...

I have several of those musicals in my TBW pile :lol:

I've gotten right into Gene Kelly recently. He's just terrific, isn't he? I watched An American in Paris the other day. I confess to getting a little bored during those long dream sequences though. In fact, I may have skipped through some parts :lol:

That's okay, Kylie, I do the same every once in awhile! Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for them. He is wonderful though. I think my favorite routine of his is in Singin' in the Rain, when he does a scene with Donald O'Connor and they sing 'Moses Supposes.' I LOVE the dance they do!

I love musicals, both film and theatre. My most favorite experience was seeing Elaine Paige in Sunset Blvd in London over 10 years ago. I've also seen and loved (some multiple times) Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, Beauty and the Beast, Sound of Music, Secret Garden, Into the Woods, Rent, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Showboat, Les Miserables and Cats.

As far as movies go, my favorites are:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

High Society

Holiday Inn

American in Paris

Singin' in the Rain

There's No Business Like Show Business

Mother Wore Tights

Guys and Dolls

White Christmas

South Pacific

Showboat

On the Town

Oh my, I think I could name many more! Pretty much name anything starring Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Betty Grable, Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Donald O'Connor, Mitzi Gaynor, Ann Miller and I'm there. Plus many more I'm forgetting...

They dont make 'em like that any more do they? I love everyone of those and could watch them over and over. I would add "West Side Story" though.

• 4 months later...
I really really dislike musicals. All that singing drives me crazy! The only exception is Fame which I love. The soundtrack is superb.

Me too. I cringe when they start to sing in musicals, even 'Fame'..sorry:blush: The only ones I like are The Wizard of Oz and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but then I think thats because they are a fairytale type of story and remind me of childhood Christmases :lol:

I like musicals on stage more than on tv....

I love Mary Poppins though.

My favourite stage musical is Phantom Of The Opera - saw it in London a couple of years back and I loved it. Also love the book, and the movie isn't great, but its bearable.

I like musicals on stage more than on tv....

Yes, I also agree! :). I find them cringeworthy to watch either on TV or in the cinema. I went and watched Mamma Mia! with my sisters and mum, and was cringing all the way through it.

However, I do love Grease and The Sound of Music :lol:

I love many of Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber's musicals -- Phantom of the Opera, JCS, Evita, etc.

Speaking of which, I have recently read he's planning a sequel for the Phantom of the Opera (called Love Never Dies), do you think it will be any good?

(as for me, words cannot really express how curious I am about it, PotO being one of my favorite musicals ever :lol::D )