Musicals

Inanna

Oooh good call on Russ Tamblyn in Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Bookjumper! Loved him in that :(. That is one show I would give anything to see live, since I just adore that film.

I'm sorry you couldn't really get into WSS, Kylie. I must admit I mainly loved it for the dancing and music, but do cry like a baby whenever I watch it :D.

I was talking to someone the other day about the dismal lack of old musical DVDs in my collection, even though they are some of my faves. I think if given the opportunity, I'd first purchase High Society, There's No Business Like Show Business, Singin' in the Rain, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Holiday Inn and American in Paris. Followed by many, many others!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like the Disney film, you'll like the show ;) it's as simple as that.

The musical theatre company I set designed & constructed as well as stage-handed for back in Liverpool Uni put this on one term and I discovered that the script is pretty much the same, give or take a few lines and add the most beautiful song of the lot which isn't in the film at all; I don't know if it was written for the stage or they simply cut it not to depress the kiddies with too much angst...!

Even though I saw this from the wings while down with a terrible cold (I had to wait for the noisy bits to cough, as the theatre was very small and I was about ten feet from the front row), I loved every minute and sobbed my heart out :lol: recommended!

I think I will definately get tickets then! A few years back I bought some to see The Little Mermaid and it turned out that the theater company performing it misprinted their advertisments and it was actualy The Little Mermaid 2. The whole show was about Arielle's daughter and the actors couldn't sing worth a darn. It was horrible, one of those shows that you debate leaving during the intermission but then decide to stay because you paid for it. :lol:

Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite Disney film, I'm so excited!

Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite Disney film, I'm so excited!
Mine too, tied with Sleeping Beauty; I used to cry out 'BeautyBeast!' when I wanted my family to put the tape on, apparently :lol:. I should think you'll enjoy the stage musical as much as I did - if not more, for you'll actually get to see it from the intended angle ;)!!

• 7 months later...

I discovered musicals after seeing the Phantom of the Opera movie. That lead me to the book and that very same year I was lucky enough to see it in London. After that I've seen it in both New York and Las Vegas. This musical opened the door for other musicals and those musicals led to other books. I haven't seen Wicked or Les Miserables but I've read the books (I've already read Wicked and I'm currently reading Les Mis). I love how my two big loves relate to one and other and how different a story can look either in print or on stage.

I've seen Starlight Express, Jesus Christ Superstar and twice Saturday Night Fever. SE would be my all time favourite, because we used to listen to the cassettes all the time when I was younger (in the car on every vacation, I really don't know how my parents could stand it *g*).

SNF is really great aswell, much better than the movie and I love the music!

I've only recently gotten into musicals, and that's because I have a friend in London who I occasionally meet to see them.

On the West End, I've seen:

Avenue Q

Spring Awakening

Wicked (twice)

Love Never Dies

Hopefully going to see a production of Little Shop of Horrors in Birmingham in September, which I'm excited for.

Musicals on film that I've seen:

Chicago

Cabaret

Mamma Mia

Phantom of the Opera

Oooh, I love my musical theatre! We're off to see Stephen Sondheim's "Into The Woods" at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre tonight, so pray for fine weather, people!

I'm so jealous!! This is my absolute favorite musical :D. Have you seen it before? I hope you had good weather, and I look forward to hearing what you thought about it!

I haven't seen any live musicals in sooo long, but used to go a few times a year at least. Aside from my fave above, I also loved seeing Phantom, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Secret Garden, Beauty and the Beast, Sunset Blvd, Cats and Showboat.

What about "Oliver" gang? The Mark Lester version, of course!

I've actually never seen this musical "live" but was taken to the cinema to see it with classmates on a school trip - and was mesmerised by the songs, music, and oolour.

Quite some time ago, of course, - but it made such an impact on me that when I got my first VCR "Oliver" was the first tape I bought, and it was magic to settle down with in, in the comfort of my own home. :)

Musicals are so important, aren't they? We need the upliftment and fun they bring into our lives.

I've only recently gotten into musicals, and that's because I have a friend in London who I occasionally meet to see them.

On the West End, I've seen:

Avenue Q

Spring Awakening

Wicked (twice)

Love Never Dies

That's a good haul! If you get the chance, you should come down and see "Sweet Charity" while it's still on - it's really excellent, and (against all my expectations!)Tamzin Outhwaite is tremendous

I'm so jealous!! This is my absolute favorite musical :D. Have you seen it before? I hope you had good weather, and I look forward to hearing what you thought about it!

You're obviously a woman of taste and discernment, Marcia :) It was fantastic - imagine what a magical evening it was, with the sun setting and the shadows from the trees falling across the stage as the cast perfomed fairy tales from Grimm! It was the first time I've seen "Into The Woods", and it really was a special experience. I love Sondheim anyway - we saw "A Little Night Music" twice last year, and I think that's my favourite, but you can't go wrong with anything he's written. If you ever come to London, you should make sure you get to the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - it's the experience of a lifetime.

You're obviously a woman of taste and discernment, Marcia :) It was fantastic - imagine what a magical evening it was, with the sun setting and the shadows from the trees falling across the stage as the cast perfomed fairy tales from Grimm! It was the first time I've seen "Into The Woods", and it really was a special experience. I love Sondheim anyway - we saw "A Little Night Music" twice last year, and I think that's my favourite, but you can't go wrong with anything he's written. If you ever come to London, you should make sure you get to the Open Air Theatre in Regent's Park - it's the experience of a lifetime.

Why thank you, and I'll say the same for you! ;) Wow, I'm in awe just thinking about getting to see a musical as beautiful as that in an outdoor setting under the stars. I'm so glad you enjoyed Woods - it's actually the only Sondheim I've ever seen live, but I love his music in general, like yourself.

I was in London back in the 90's and got to see 4 wonderful plays and a musical as well, but I had no idea you all had Open Air Theatre! And now that you mention it, I believe my hotel was right near Regents Park. Is this a new thing they have?

Why thank you, and I'll say the same for you! ;)

Suitably re-gendered, I trust :lol:

I was in London back in the 90's and got to see 4 wonderful plays and a musical as well, but I had no idea you all had Open Air Theatre! And now that you mention it, I believe my hotel was right near Regents Park. Is this a new thing they have?

No, it's been going since the 1930s, apparently, but it tends not to feature on the traditional "West End" listings, so may get missed by many tourists. Also, of course, being outdoor it has a short season, so depending on what time of year you were here it may not have been open anyway. Here's a link:

http://openairtheatre.org/

If that's not a good reason to come back and see us, I don't know what is! I'll even throw in a guided tour of London's best bookshops :)

Edited by Roland Butter

Suitably re-gendered, I trust :lol:

:blush: Oops, yep, sorry about that!

No, it's been going since the 1930s, apparently, but it tends not to feature on the traditional "West End" listings, so may get missed by many tourists. Also, of course, being outdoor it has a short season, so depending on what time of year you were here it may not have been open anyway. Here's a link:

http://openairtheatre.org/

If that's not a good reason to come back and see us, I don't know what is! I'll even throw in a guided tour of London's best bookshops :)

That explains it then! I was there at the end of November - no wonder! Thanks for the link, Roland. Just watching snippets of the Woods rehearsal brings back many good memories :D That theatre looks wonderful, and most definitely a reason to return to London.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Queen
Do you mean We Will Rock You, and if so how did you find it? I keep hearing nothing but bad things about it:lurker:!

I fear I may be going through a Wicked phase, which will be long and prosperous if it plans to be anything like my Les Mis phase. I'm listening to pretty much nothing else at the moment and with every listen I discover something new to love. Idina Menzel is a goddess - and a very human one at that (I usually hate celebrities crying, but her 2004 Tony awards acceptance speech has me blubbering, she's practically sobbing through everybody's names, bless her little cotton socks) - and her scream of 'Fiyeeeeeeeeeero!' at the beginning of No Good Deed has gone on to replace Building the Barricades as my text message alert.

Iwannagoseeitnow. ButIdonthavethemonies. *weeps loudly into hanky*

Do you mean We Will Rock You, and if so how did you find it? I keep hearing nothing but bad things about it:lurker:!

I fear I may be going through a Wicked phase, which will be long and prosperous if it plans to be anything like my Les Mis phase. I'm listening to pretty much nothing else at the moment and with every listen I discover something new to love. Idina Menzel is a goddess - and a very human one at that (I usually hate celebrities crying, but her 2004 Tony awards acceptance speech has me blubbering, she's practically sobbing through everybody's names, bless her little cotton socks) - and her scream of 'Fiyeeeeeeeeeero!' at the beginning of No Good Deed has gone on to replace Building the Barricades as my text message alert.

Iwannagoseeitnow. ButIdonthavethemonies. *weeps loudly into hanky*

*hugs Giulia* Someday we shall go to Wicked and see it three times rapid fire! It is an absolutely beautiful story with incredible music. If you really like Idina makes the perfect Elphaba, which surprised me a little at first because I know her more from RENT as Maureen and that role is soooo different.