Favourite fantasy book

Renius

Not very original I know, but Harry Potter *grins*

Actually I havent read much fantasy apart from that. I loved the lord of the rings films but never managed to read the books. I did read The Hobbit and enjoyed it but it took me forever to get into it... I guess what made Harry Potter easier was that while it offers a whole magical world to discover and enjoy, it remains close to reality: I could relate very easily to the characters (well most of the time anyway *laughs*) and imagine that the magical world does exist right beside us... I find it much more difficult to relate to 'full' fantasy such as LOTR if that makes sense.

I'd love to try some new books in this genre though. I'll go through this thread but do you have any suggestions considering what I said above?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have enjoyed the Terry Pratchett books, CS Lewis Narnia series, and Beckwood Brae.

I also read one book, whose name escapes me because it was from a while ago, where the main character kept moving between her world (modern England? Scotland?) and the past where she was in the nobillity. Think it got a bit samey in the end, but was interesting at the time nonetheless

Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

Mort by Terry Pratchett (I love the others too, but this one is my favorite)

Harry Potter series (always a child :) )

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer (still don't know how to pronounce author's name :lol:)

Myst series by Miller brothers (I cried when the cat died :woohoo:)

all the books from George R.R. Martin..

and many more, but this ones for a start :drama:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The book that made me realize that I'm not too stupid or too unimaginative to read fantasy is Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair. Although I had read Harry Potter before that, I'd say that Thursday Next made me want to read more fantasy. I simply cannot understand how it got rejected 76 times before someone agreed to publish it. It's a work of art!

- Harry Potter.

- Artemis Fowl.

- His Dark Materials.

And the first one of the Black Magician trilogy by Trudi Canavan, Magicians Guild.

By the way, Lexi, Eoin's name is pronounced Owen, I think.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Its also science fiction, so unless you're into that...

Its about humans in the future on a newly colonised planet called Erna. The magic part comes in via an energy field surrounding the planet which responds to brainwaves, and can manifest demons, or things, or as attacks and so on. Its called 'fae'. So you have your adepts and sorcerers using it, (usually pagans) but you also have the Church which supports essentially the Christian God which is divided about the use of the fae. There is also the fact that the Church's prophet on Erna sold his soul to attain eternal life by use of the fae, in order to see his long term church-related plans established.

And virtually none of that is anything to do with the plot, its all background.

The plot in book one at least is an epic adventure with a Church-priest guy, and an evil sorcerer who have to unwillingly join forces to save a mutual acquaintance.

Look up C. S. Friedman on the right hand side of my blog and click on 'Black Sun Rising' - again it has no spoilers, but it has a very indepth explanation of the books background to determine whether you'd like it.

Its also science fiction, so unless you're into that...

Its about humans in the future on a newly colonised planet called Erna. The magic part comes in via an energy field surrounding the planet which responds to brainwaves, and can manifest demons, or things, or as attacks and so on. Its called 'fae'. So you have your adepts and sorcerers using it, (usually pagans) but you also have the Church which supports essentially the Christian God which is divided about the use of the fae. There is also the fact that the Church's prophet on Erna sold his soul to attain eternal life by use of the fae, in order to see his long term church-related plans established.

And virtually none of that is anything to do with the plot, its all background.

The plot in book one at least is an epic adventure with a Church-priest guy, and an evil sorcerer who have to unwillingly join forces to save a mutual acquaintance.

Look up C. S. Friedman on the right hand side of my blog and click on 'Black Sun Rising' - again it has no spoilers, but it has a very indepth explanation of the books background to determine whether you'd like it.

Thank you Roxi, it certainly does sound interesting. But of course, there is so many books to read and not enough time, so it would be a case of adding it to that ever-growing list!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Anne McCaffrey and here is a list of her books taken from a LIST BY HANS VAN DER BOOM ( THE PERN MUSEUM & ARCHIVES )

1. Pern Books and Stories in order of Publication

Dragonflight (1968)

The short stories “Weyr Search” and “Dragonrider” are incorporated in this book.

Dragonquest (1971)

Dragonsong (1976)

Dragonsinger 1977)

The Smallest Dragonboy, in: Get Off The Unicorn (1977)

The White Dragon (1978)

The earlier publication “A Time When” (1975) is incorporated in this book.

Dragondrums (1979)

Moreta: Dragonlady Of Pern (1983)

Nerilka’s Story (1984)

Dragonsdawn (1988)

The Impression, in: The Dragonlover’s Guide To Pern (1989)

The Renegades Of Pern (1989)

All The Weyrs Of Pern (1991)

The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (1993)

The earlier publications “Rescue Run” (1991) and “The Dolphin’s Bell” (1993) are incorporated in this book.

The Girl Who Heard Dragons, in: The Girl Who Heard Dragons (1996)

Dragonseye, published as Red Star Rising in the UK (1996)

The Masterharper Of Pern (1998)

Runner Of Pern, in: Legends (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg) (1999)

The Skies of Pern (2001)

A Gift of Dragons (2002)

The short story “Ever the Twain” is incorporated in this book.

Dragon’s Kin (with Todd McCaffrey) (2003)

Beyond Between, in: Legends II (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg) (2004)

Dragonsblood (by Todd McCaffrey) (2005)

Dragon’s Fire (with Todd McCaffrey) (2006)

2. Pern Books and Stories in Chronological Order

Story “Survey P.E.R.N.” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Dragonsdawn

Story “The Dolphin’s Bell” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Story “The Ford Of red Hanrahan” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Story “The Second Weyr” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Story “Rescue Run” in: The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Dragon’s Kin (with Todd McCaffrey)

Dragon’s Fire (with Todd McCaffrey)

Dragonsblood (by Todd McCaffrey)

Dragonseye/Red Star Rising

Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern

Story: “Beyond Between” in: Legends II (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg)

Nerika’s Story

The Masterharper of Pern

Story: “Runner Of Pern” in: Legends (anthology edited by Robert Silverberg)

Dragonflight

Dragonquest

Dragonsong

Dragonsinger

Dragondrums

Story: “The Impression” in: The Dragonlover’s Guide To Pern

Story: “The Smallest Dragonboy” in: Get Off The Unicorn

The White Dragon

The Renegades of Pern

(actually covers the whole period from The Masterharper Of Pern to All The Weyrs Of Pern)

Story: “The Girl Who Heard Dragons” in: The Girl Who Heard Dragons

All The Weyrs Of Pern (overlap with next book)

The Dolphins of Pern (overlap with previous book)

The Skies of Pern

I have read a few of her books and have her sons book Dragonsblood which I have in my bag for reading on the bus I have just started it and it looks good so far. Also I have Grave Sight for reading in bed which I will be starting soon it will be my first book for February.

Edited by Heather
Post far too long bullets got in the way

Whoo. Favorite fantasy book? It's kind of hard to slim down, but my most recent favorite fantasy book would have to be The Folk of the Air by Peter S. Beagle. It completely redefines what fantasy is in terms of story and in terms of living a fantasy life.

:( Sometimes you just take the words out of my mouth. I'm exactly the same again. I do hope to read them again at some point as I can hardly remember the last two or three. I've only read the last one once. I think my boyfriend is buying me the adult boxset for my birthday. Yay.