• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Hayley

The BCF Book Adoption Agency

Welcome to the BCF Book Adoption Agency!

The books in this thread are all previously owned and are now looking for new homes. If you would like to adopt one of the books available, please reply in the thread below. BUT, before we get started, please read the following guidelines:

• Only active forum members with ten or more posts are eligible to enter.
  • One week after the book appears on the thread, if more than one member has shown interest, I will hold a random name draw to discover which new home the book is going to. 
  • If you are a patreon supporter, you have the chance to request an extra entry to the random name draw. You can make your request either in this thread or in a personal message to me. You do not have to use your extra entry. 
  • All of the books in this thread will be available internationally.
  • This is a completely new concept and there is a very good chance that things will need adjusting along the way. I appreciate your feedback here as much as your entries and any adjustments I do make to the guidelines will be clearly stated here.

I've had this idea in mind for quite some time and I hope you'll all be as excited about it as I am :)

Preparing to open the doors...

Now Looking For a New Home:

IMG_7138.jpgIMG_7137.jpg

This edition of 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' by Edgar Allan Poe is part of the 'Collectors Library' published by CRW publishing (2003). It is a small hardback book, clothbound in dark red, with a matching red ribbon to keep your page, and a striped green dust jacket. It also has gilt-edged pages (which my camera didn't really do justice to).

With lots of Edgar Allan Poe classics, like 'The Tell-Tale Heart' and 'The Fall of the House of Usher,' this would provide some great Gothic reading for October! It also includes Poe's detective stories. 

Which leads us to our second available book... [Adopted by @Onion Budgie!]

IMG_7139.jpgIMG_7140.jpg

'The Sherlock Holmes Handbook' by Ransom Riggs would be great fun for any Sherlock Holmes fan (and I know there are a few of us here). It is very nicely illustrated by Eugene Smith and packed full of information about the methods Holmes used to solve crimes. There are also some interesting notes on related Victorian history (like 'Curious Maladies and Quack Medicines of the Victorian Era'), a very brief biography of Arthur Conan Doyle and a collection of quotes from the books ('The Wit and Wisdom of Sherlock Holmes'). 

Potential book adopters should note that this book definitely contains spoilers, if you've not read the Sherlock Holmes books already. 

If you can give either of these books a good home (or if you have any comments on this new thread) please post below! :) 

It's now exactly one week since the doors opened and the very first book has been adopted into a very appropriate home! :lol:

Not much love for poor Edgar Alan Poe yet though... 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.