Sign in to follow this  
nursenblack

Reading vs Listening

I only ever listen to audiobooks if I have already read the book version of it. Audiobooks to me are just the cherry on top of a really good story I enjoyed a lot.

I tried audio books in my car or late at night, it doesn't work for me. In my car my mind tends to wonder around, and listening at night just makes me sleep. :) 

I tried listening to 1 in the car once - big mistake, I couldn't concentrate on it as I was too busy watching the road. Conversation with my wife in the car I can handle - can't listen to someone telling a story though.

Virginia   

I tried listening to 1 in the car once - big mistake, I couldn't concentrate on it as I was too busy watching the road. Conversation with my wife in the car I can handle - can't listen to someone telling a story though.

I only EVER do audio when I'm driving alone or else I'd spend all my time rewinding.

I couldn't listen to one in the car either, way too distracting.

I've been listening to audiobooks much more often recently, and I do listen to them in the car.  I don't find them in the least distracting, unlike listening to music, which I do think distracts and also tends to block out the ambient noise around the car.  I used to be only able to listen to books I'd already read in this way, as otherwise I didn't take it all in, but as I've listened more, it's become a habit to be able to take in far more of what I'm listening to, and I can listen to books I've not read and still get as much from the experience as I would reading off the page. 

Janet   

I definitely think listening to them gets easier with practice.  :)  I listen to them in the car and don't find them in the least distracting.