• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#21 NiceguyEddie

NiceguyEddie

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:59 AM

Paddington. I loved those books. It's funny but I can't remember many more from early childhood. There was one about a monkey that escaped from the zoo. :welcomeboard:

#22 Adam

Adam

I Am Canadian

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

The Hardy Boys and the Goosebump books were my favs growing up :lol:

#23 Princess Orchid

Princess Orchid

Bookworm

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

I can't remember if I've already posted in this thread! Anyways, my main favourites (that I can remember) are:

The Malory Towers Series
The St Clares Series (Both Enid Blyton)
The Chalet School Series
The Sadlers Wells Series
The Vampire Diaries (LJ Smith)
Fear Street books (RL Stine)
Anything by Christopher Pike...

#24 Child.of.God.1989

Child.of.God.1989

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

There's probably a couple [threads about book memories]. :D I found one here.

That's funny how we turned out to have a few. Great minds think alike, I suppose! *titters shrilly at own joke*

I actually like having one thread specifically for favorite childhood books, and one specifically for memories about receiving or reading books.

I'm sorry this is so long - it's so hard to pin down one favorite, I kind of listed almost all the ones I liked.

The Babysitter's Club series by Ann N. Martin - my favorite character was Abby because she was humorous and it was funny how Ann Martin would write her dialogue in "stuffy nose" speak (like J.K. Rowling did when Neville had a bloody nose in Harry Potter and, uh, the Half Blood Prince I believe). My favorite book was the big one where all the babysitters took a trip together around the USA.

I also read the Babysitter's Little Sister series; I had big pink glasses just like Karen, the seven-year-old main character, when I was in third grade!
Posted Image

The Miss Pickerell series by Ellen MacGregor - this elderly lady kicked butt from what I remember! She was the stuff of book reports for me. I was so proud to read my first chapter book in first grade. My sub-favorites were Miss Pickerell Goes to Mars and Miss Pickerell and the Geiger Counter.

Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene - I liked these since the second grade. The old yellow books like #2, The Hidden Staircase, and #5, The Secret of Shadow Ranch, were my preference, though I did enjoy some in the 100s and kid-Nancy series.

Sailor Moon manga by Naoko Takeuchi (I think); three of my cousins and I liked the cartoon when I was ten and they were nine, ten, and twelve. We drew the characters and played with the cards and figurines. They became a bit weird in the later spinoffs, but I still remember all the names of characters from the earlier ones.

Little Critter series - my mom worked the night shift and would come home with every new little book for my brother and me.

Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey - at first I suggested my mom buy them for my brother and nephew, but after a peek I thought they were funny, too! Hee! Dav Pilkey illustrated a book still dearly on my bookshelf, the Dumb Bunnies. Hilarious.

Others: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, some short Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Boxcar Children series (still popular at my old school among the first and second graders), the Little Golden Books (Pokey Little Puppy comforted shy li'l me on a "scary" doctor's checkup), Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, What Katy Did, Heidi, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery (I just read that again because Anne is so stinkin' fun and endearing; I am almost afraid to watch the movie and be disappointed by not having my imagination matched!); and Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (my first "big" book, I think; I loved it so much I loved my sister even more for giving the beautiful copy to me!).

#25 lovesreading06

lovesreading06

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • Reading now?:Every Second Counts by Sophie McKenzie
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:45 AM

It was called Calculator Annie. She was rubbish at sums and then one night she puts a calcuator under her pillow and her life changed since them.

Not sure who wrote it.

#26 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,298 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:55 AM

The Babysitter's Club series by Ann N. Martin - my favorite character was Abby because she was humorous and it was funny how Ann Martin would write her dialogue in "stuffy nose" speak (like J.K. Rowling did when Neville had a bloody nose in Harry Potter and, uh, the Half Blood Prince I believe). My favorite book was the big one where all the babysitters took a trip together around the USA.

I also read the Babysitter's Little Sister series; I had big pink glasses just like Karen, the seven-year-old main character, when I was in third grade!

I was a big fan of the BSC books too CoG! I still have all of mine but I stopped collecting shortly after Abby entered the series. I recently bought the final book from a book fair, along with (I think) the one where they go around the USA. I haven't read them yet though. And wow, you did look like Karen!

I used to have a couple of picture books by Graeme Base called Animalia and The Eleventh Hour. They are beautifully illustrated children's book. Animalia is an A-Z and The Eleventh Hour is a story about an elephant inviting 10 friends to his 11th birthday on 11 November at 11am - then his great feast goes missing and the reader has to try to figure out who stole it. There are clues and things to look out for in every picture. Wonderful stuff! I can't believe I ever gave my copies away. Now I'll have to track them down again. :lol:

#27 Child.of.God.1989

Child.of.God.1989

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 05:29 AM

I was a big fan of the BSC books too CoG! I still have all of mine but I stopped collecting shortly after Abby entered the series. I recently bought the final book from a book fair, along with (I think) the one where they go around the USA. I haven't read them yet though. And wow, you did look like Karen!

I used to have a couple of picture books by Graeme Base called Animalia and The Eleventh Hour. They are beautifully illustrated children's books.

Thanks for the compliment, Kylie.:lol: I bet those BSC books will come in handy when you spend time with a younger girl! --Or when you feel a little nostalgic.;) (Poor male members of the BCF - what are some good guy adventures?)

Ooh, Animalia is such a beautiful, fun book! Even though my brother and I never quite understood how to solve the whole book, we liked looking for all the things that started with the page's letter. Alliteration can either a little annoying or, in this case, very clever.

Animalia reminds me of the I Spy books. My oldest sister, the same sister who bought my little brother Animalia, gave these as Christmas presents to us every year. We have just about every book until the very-very challenging additions. I have bonded with my younger brother, nephew, uncle, sister, and dad finding the items in these captivating find-it books. You would probably have to be around my age to have enjoyed them as a youngster when they first came out, but did anyone's kids have them at school?

#28 paperplane

paperplane

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Reading now?:The Sorcerer's Apprentice
  • LocationTerra Australis

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:57 AM

BUMP!!

My absolute favourite books when I was younger where a series called 'Teen Power Inc'. by Emily Rhodda (I think they're called Raven Hill Mysteries now). She also writes those Deltora Quest books which I remember flicking through and absolutely hated them along with Rowan of Rin.

I loved the Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Salem books too. :lol:

One book I loved not so much childhood but as a teen was 'Raw' by Scott Monk.

#29 bethany725

bethany725

Flying Backwards

• Advanced Member
  • 1,580 posts
  • Reading now?:The House I First Believed -Wally Lamb
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:16 AM

I loved the Baby-sitters Club books by Ann M. Martin when I was young. They were by far my favorite books. I started collecting them from their earliest days in the late 1980's. I had a huge collection of about 55 books, which I ended up giving to my boyfriend's little sister about 5 years ago. I don't know what happened to them after that, but she doesn't have them anymore....she likes Anne Rice and Edgar Allan Poe now.:lol:

Ohhh I'm with Echo and Kylie.. I loooved BSC! My best friends and I read them and swapped them back and forth all the time. I always had trouble picking between Stacey and Claudia as my favorites! I remember Mary Ann used to cry allll the time, and Kristy was the tomboy! And Dawn was the vegan California girl, I think? Claudia always had her candy hidden in her room, and was an artist, if I remember correctly.. So much FUN! I actually miss them! At age 26!! :D

The Babysitter's Club series by Ann N. Martin - my favorite character was Abby because she was humorous and it was funny how Ann Martin would write her dialogue in "stuffy nose" speak

And Wow.. I must have quit reading before this "Abby" character was introduced! The only characters present when I was still reading them were:
Mary Ann, Kristy, Claudia, Dawn, Stacey?? Was that the original 4 + Stacey when she came along?

I also loved "Sweet Valley High".. I think that was the one with the California twin sisters??

Edited by bethany725, 06 February 2009 - 07:17 AM.
avoiding a double-post

#30 Ceinwenn

Ceinwenn

Crazy Canuck

• Advanced Member
  • 1,516 posts
  • Reading now?:Harvesting the Heart by Jodi Picoult
  • LocationEngland - for now!

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:28 AM

Mine were definately the Nancy Drew & the Hardy Boys books. Loved Anne of Green Gables, too.

#31 frankie

frankie

Partial!

• Supporter
  • 16,729 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

I loved Lois Lowry's Anastasia-series, still do. I just reread them some time ago and noticed that they're still very clever and incisive. I've even managed to find almost all of the books that were translated to Finnish, I only have one to look for. I'm thinking someday I'll order the rest of the books in English (the ones that weren't translated).

#32 chesilbeach

chesilbeach

Conqueror of Mount TBR

• Moderators
  • 12,729 posts
  • Reading now?:Cogheart by Peter Bunzl

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

I was a complete Enid Blyton nut from an early age, starting with the Noddy books, and moving onto The Naughtiest Girl In The School and Amelia Jane series, then the Happy House and Faraway Tree books, before getting into the more obvious Famous Five and Secret Seven and the Adventure series and then the Mallory Towers books. But, my favourite of all was The Children of Cherry Tree Farm which was an absolutely wonderful book.

As a teen, I read the Judy Blume novels and the Sweet Valley High books as well, but by 14/15, I'd moved onto more literary fiction than specific YA books.

#33 Chimera

Chimera

Book Backpacker

• Advanced Member
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:21 AM

The famous five also were one of my favourites... Actually I had many favourites depending on the time, including: Heidi, Sissi the empress, Matilda by Roald Dahl, Titanic's children by Elisabeth Navratil...

But the one which stayed most with me was L'histoire d'Hellen Keller by Lorena A Hickock. I was fascinated by the story of this little girl and how she had overcome all odds.

#34 Heather

Heather

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationBurghead Moray Scotland

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

The famous five also were one of my favourites... Actually I had many favourites depending on the time, including: Heidi,

The famous Five wheren my faourite too and I had forgoton about Heidi I have not read this book in years and it is the only one I have read at least 3 times must get it again and have another read.:lol:

#35 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,329 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:40 AM

Famous Five, Mallory Towers, St.Clare's and so many others; I think I read
pretty much everything that Enid Blighton wrote at some point in my
childhood.

Then came my obsession with The Chronicles Of Narnia which lasted a
number of years. I developed my passion for detective stories, thanks to a
Compendium Of Detective Stories and Duncton Wood put in an
appearance around these years.

In my early teens I read was captured by grittier stuff, and the two books
that stand out for me are That Was Then, This Is Now by SE Hinton, and
Bubblegum And Kipling by Tom Mayer. This second one my mum had
bought me, not realising the very adult content in parts!

#36 Stephanie2008

Stephanie2008

Live, Laugh, Love

• Advanced Member
  • 5,003 posts
  • Reading now?:Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.
  • LocationNewcastle, Eng.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

Biff and Chip books :lol: I loved one where they found a secret room. I can remember re-reading these books a few years ago and still loving them :D

I also loved (and still do love) Roald Dahl books, particularly Matilda.

#37 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:50 AM

I also loved (and still do love) Roald Dahl books, particularly Matilda.

How on earth did I forget Roald Dahl? :) :D :lol:

#38 Ben

Ben

Broken

• Advanced Member
  • 5,939 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Aha, I'm still in my childhood. :lol:

#39 Chrissy

Chrissy

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 8,329 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Aha, I'm still in my childhood. :D

:lol:

#40 chrysalis_stage

chrysalis_stage

Nature Lover

• Advanced Member
  • 1,338 posts
  • Reading now?:Kraken - China Mieville
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

some books i can remember now that i read and enjoyed as a smallish kid were:
One snowy night (Percy the parkkeeper) - Nick Butterworth
lots of Jacqueline wilson, Road dahl, Enid Blyton
random Goosebumps R.L Stine
Victoria Plum - Angela rippon
Vampire Diaries - L.J Smith
Ramona the pest - Beverly Cleary's
Necklace of raindrops - Joan Aiken (best friend nicked my copy, need to get another :lol:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users