Favourite books from childhood?

When I was little I loved Enid Blyton and read them all, but my favourites were the Magic Faraway Tree and the Wishing Chair. Then I read all Roald Dahl and Judy Blume and a little bit of Catherine Cookson. The book that stands out most was a book called Brog the Stoop. Can't remember who its by but I remember that I loved it.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dr Who books published by Target

Agaton Sax

The Saint books

The .... of Adventure books by Enid Blyton

The Five findouters books by Enid Blyton

The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton

The Adventure series by Williard Price

There was a series called 'Tim and Tobias' about a young boy and his adventures with his cat who could talk, and they would sneak off at midnight to random places and have little charming and wonderful tales! I adored those novels and i adore cats, so i loved them :lol:

I actually found some more Goosebumps books here at my parents, i have Stay Out of the Basement, Welcome to Camp Nightmare, The Horror at Camp Jellyjam and then Ghost Camp!

I loved these books too. Were they the ones were you could choose from different options what happened next?

It's been so long that I don't remember for sure, I do believe some of them did but I don't know if all of them were that way.

Rawr- Nice! You should read them this weekend for nostalga's sake :lol:

I actually found some more Goosebumps books here at my parents, i have Stay Out of the Basement, Welcome to Camp Nightmare, The Horror at Camp Jellyjam and then Ghost Camp!

Those are some great titles!

It's been so long that I don't remember for sure, I do believe some of them did but I don't know if all of them were that way.

Rawr- Nice! You should read them this weekend for nostalga's sake ;)

I looked it up and the ones where you could choose the ending etc were called Give Yourself Goosebumps :lol:

I wish I had kept more of my childhood books.

Welcome to Camp Nightmare! I think that was the first i read too.

This particular version is in a collection of three stories in one, and it used to have a nightlight which went 'EEEEYA HA HAAAAAA' when you opened it. I found this collection around two years ago, before today, and i forgot and i opened it at around 2am and it scared the hell out of me so i noticed i'd ripped it off when i opened it again last night :lol:

I loved these books too. Were they the ones were you could choose from different options what happened next?

Maybe you're thinking of the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books, Mexicola? They were all like that and I loved reading them! It would ask you at the end of the chapter something like 'if you want to see what happens behind the yellow door, go to page 56.' Good times! :friends0:

I used to love Michael Ende's the Neverending Story, was so magical to read that with the red and blue letters.. ofcourse back then I read it as "Het Oneindige Verhaal".

Dutch authors have some great kids books, and a lot of which were my favs.

Tonke Dragt - Torenhoog en Mijlenbreed (don't know if it's been translated into English), Torens van Februari (Towers of February)

Thea Beckman - basically all her books, but mostly Children of Mother Earth: a futuristic novel set ten centuries after World War III, describing the struggle between utopian Thule (Greenland, after a climate change made it prosperous) and Baden (militaristic European nation. :friends0:

Oh and edit this: How can I forget, but adored the Black Stallion books, by Walter Farley.

I grew up reading Enid Blyton all right, but I never did like her boarding-school books, save for the Naughtiest Girl. I think I liked reading about boys, which is why I loved the Mystery series too, as well as the Enchanted Wood series. And the Three Investigators by Robert Arthur were cool too.

Hm, when I was in my preteens I read Agatha Christie's books. Love them still.

On the Wiki page it says ~

In modern reprints, the names of the children have been changed:

Jo is changed to Joe, because the character is a boy and this is the more commonly used spelling of the name for males;

Bessie is changed to Beth, because the former name is seldom used as a nickname for Elizabeth;

Fanny is changed to Frannie, because the former name is slang for vulva in the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand (see Wiktionary entry) and "bottom" in the USA.

Cousin Dick, who appears in "The Magic Faraway Tree", has been changed to "Rick" as "Dick" is American, Australian and British slang for penis.

In modern reprints, the character of Dame Slap has been re-named to Dame Snap and she no longer practises corporal punishment but instead reprimands her students by yelling at them very loudly.

Silly eh? Such a shame.