Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

I know which character you refer to :giggle2:. I have to say so far I'm not enjoying the book as much as I enjoyed Pillars (the first book). But I'm "only" about 30% into it, around 400 pages out of 1200+ :P. It takes an age to read though, I spent quite a few hours reading yesterday and I only progressed ~8% in the book :doh: (100 pages). But some parts are quite enjoyable.

If I remember correctly, it didn't feel like a strict sequel. Isn't it set many, many years after the events of The Pillars of the Earth, and all those original characters are long gone?

I loved this book so much, Bobbly.  It was one of my favorite reads from last year.  Something about that little painting really stuck with me and I fell in love with the whole thing! :D :D

I have to say, I'm really enjoying The Goldfinch. I'm only about 15% through it but the story has hooked me.

Yesterday, I bought NOS4R2 by Joe Hill. It was only £1.99 on Kindle. I wasn't that keen on Horns, but I've heard that NOS4R2 is the one to read.

Edited by bobblybear

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started reading The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (this will make a certain Frankie happy, I think!) I keep picking up books from my TBR pile on a whim and then realising that they're on my priority reading list anyway. Good stuff. :)

I've finished reading Far From The Madding Crowd and have downloaded A Tale Of Two Cities by Charles Dickens for the group read starting tomorrow. I picked up my next reading group book for next month yesterday - The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell and it's nearly 600 pages long :o Might need someone quick, easy reads in between to lighten the mood! :D

My monthly credit was available for Audible, so decided to choose Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke so that I can remind myself of the story between now and Christmas, and then I can finally watch the television adaptation snuggled in front of the fire when it's cold and dark outside. While I was there, I noticed that Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome was currently being offered for free, so as it was on the English Counties Challenge, decided to download that one too - bargain! :lol:

Yesterday, I bought NOS4R2 by Joe Hill. It was only £1.99 on Kindle. I wasn't that keen on Horns, but I've heard that NOS4R2 is the one to read.

I liked it, buy I am a Joe Hill fan anyway so.  :)

I finished Philippa Gregory's The White Princess and have moved on to the sixth and final in the series ( :( ), The King's Curse.

Already more than 100 pages into The Stranger Beside Me. Why does my mojo increase drastically when I'm really busy and should be doing nothing but working? I guess reading is a form of procrastination.  :giggle:

I've started reading The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (this will make a certain Frankie happy, I think!) I keep picking up books from my TBR pile on a whim and then realising that they're on my priority reading list anyway. Good stuff. :)

Already more than 100 pages into The Stranger Beside Me. Why does my mojo increase drastically when I'm really busy and should be doing nothing but working? I guess reading is a form of procrastination.  :giggle:

Oooooh ooh ooh, frankie very happy girl! :D Excited and happy! I hope it's not only because your 'need' to procrastinate, but also because the book is so compelling, that you've gotten so far with it :D (You've been reading so many of my rec books this year, I'm quite overwhelmed :blush:

Oh yes indeedy, it's very compelling! It's quite the page-turner, isn't it? The pages are just flying by and it's difficult to tear myself away from it :smile: (so I can go back to reading about pregnant teenagers for work...ho hum :sleeping-smiley-009 ). I can't wait until my job is over so I can get back to reading it properly. :exc: I've taken a couple of No-Doz pills because I need to stay awake all night to work, but it means I'll likely be awake all day tomorrow as well (there's no darn off-switch!), so I should have plenty of time to read. :D

I'm tempted to ask how many of my recommendations you've read this year, but I wouldn't be so cheeky...oh, wait.  :giggle: 

Completed Shackleton's Boat Journey.  Deceptively well (indeed beautifully) told by Frank Worsley, captain of the Endurance, and the man whose navigation enabled the landfall on South Georgia of the James Caid and its crew. 

I finished The Cry - really enjoyed it.

Really glad you enjoyed this, it's an unusual one. She's a very talented writer.

I am 138 pages into Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and am let down by it... perhaps I didn't know it was YA and am not in the mood for YA.

It didn't impress me either, not because it was YA, but because I just didn't like it very much! :)

I abandoned Holly Black's The Coldest Girl in Coldtown 

I haven't tried this one, but Holly Black can be very hit and miss and as it didn't impress either of you, I think I'll steer clear :lol:

I haven't read anything in a couple of weeks. Whoops. I need to try get back into it, but nothing was taking my fancy. I've met my 100 books in 2015 goal already, so I'm not too pushed about how many more I read this year, I'm not going to force myself :)

If I remember correctly, it didn't feel like a strict sequel. Isn't it set many, many years after the events of The Pillars of the Earth, and all those original characters are long gone?

It takes place ~200 years after Pillars, some characters are descendants of the original characters, but all the original characters are long gone. It features the same cathedral and priory though, and there are some similarities between the two books. I've made good progress in it the past few days, and I'm enjoying it a lot at the moment.

Two thirds of the way through The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell, about a hoarder and her family over the years.. I'm itching to get my hands on her house to sort it!! :D

I haven't read that one, but I read two other books by the author which I liked. I hope you enjoy the book. Haha :P.

I started listening to Swallows and Amazons yesterday … hmm, not keen so far.  I know I love Enid Blyton, most of which are quintessentially upper/middle class, but I found S&A to be a bit much.  I felt all the Captain Jack and Mister Mate, and the sheer earnestness of it was a bit much to take, and after an hour I'd had enough.  I'm not giving up on it, I just think I'm going to have to listen in smaller sessions.

Today, I started A Tale of Two Cities for the group read, and I'm really enjoying it so far!  I've read the first five chapters, and it's very good. :smile2:

Sorry to hear that Claire. :( Hope you enjoy S and A more as you continue.

I finished South Riding by Winifred Holtby today. Wow, a definite 5/5 read. One of those when I raced to the end to finish, and then was sad it was over!

For something totally different, now starting Paper Towns by John Green. But nervous here because I really didn't care for The Fault in Our Stars, but I'm prepared to give him one more chance before total rejection :D

Half way through The Book of Life, by Debra Harkness then I'm jumping in for a long read with  ​Ulysses. by James Joyce. I don't know why but the change in seasons has me wanting to read this particular book. Go figure. It's safe to say I'll be in there for a while!

I finished South Riding by Winifred Holtby today. Wow, a definite 5/5 read. One of those when I raced to the end to finish, and then was sad it was over!

Yes, definitely one of the discoveries of the Counties Challenge for me: it's joined the ranks of my 100 or so all-time favourites with 6/6.

I started listening to Swallows and Amazons yesterday … hmm, not keen so far.  I know I love Enid Blyton, most of which are quintessentially upper/middle class, but I found S&A to be a bit much.  I felt all the Captain Jack and Mister Mate, and the sheer earnestness of it was a bit much to take, and after an hour I'd had enough.  I'm not giving up on it, I just think I'm going to have to listen in smaller sessions.

Who's reading it, as that can definitely make a difference?  Personally, I found the S&A series far more 'normal' than any Enid Blyton, especially as it's founded on real people and real places.  That, of course, might be the problem, and I do know what you mean by its earnestness (which I can imagine being exaggerated by the slower pace of an audiobook compared to straight reading), but then that's how it was (and which probably explains why offspring never got into them).  TBH, S&A itself was never a favourite - I much preferred Winter Holiday, Secret Water and We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea.

Edited by willoyd

I thoroughly enjoyed The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell, now reading Wake by Anna Hope, It is set over five days in 1920, a story of three women who have lost loved-ones in WWI, and telling the story of the Unknown Soldier from France to the Cenotaph.

For something totally different, now starting Paper Towns by John Green. But nervous here because I really didn't care for The Fault in Our Stars, but I'm prepared to give him one more chance before total rejection :D

Oooh I really hope you enjoy it. It's one of my favourite books.

Who's reading it, as that can definitely make a difference?  Personally, I found the S&A series far more 'normal' than any Enid Blyton, especially as it's founded on real people and real places.  That, of course, might be the problem, and I do know what you mean by its earnestness (which I can imagine being exaggerated by the slower pace of an audiobook compared to straight reading), but then that's how it was (and which probably explains why offspring never got into them).  TBH, S&A itself was never a favourite - I much preferred Winter Holiday, Secret Water and We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea.

It's this version read by Gareth Armstrong.  He's got a very traditional sort of style of voice, which matches the tone of the writing and is adding to that earnest feel to it all.  The first chapter wasn't so bad, as when their mother was present, I sort of felt she had an affectionate teasing attitude to their serious stance on their upcoming adventure, but now it's the children on their own, it's just a bit much for me.  You're absolutely right, that's how it was then, and I think Enid Blyton is probably more caricatured (for want of a better word) which makes it more light and endearing to me.  Like I said, I'm not writing it off, just need to make sure I don't try and listen for long periods at a time, maybe just a couple of chapters at a time. :)

I finished my chapters for this weeks instalment of A Tale of Two Cities today, so I need something new to read until the end of the week.  I know I need to start The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell for my book group, but I can't carry that big a hardback into work!

I finished my chapters for this weeks instalment of A Tale of Two Cities today, so I need something new to read until the end of the week.  I know I need to start The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell for my book group, but I can't carry that big a hardback into work!

Are you looking forward to that?  (The Bone Clocks, not lugging around a giant book :P )

Are you looking forward to that?  (The Bone Clocks, not lugging around a giant book :P )

:lol:  I haven't read any of his books before, so I'm going in with an open mind.  I wouldn't have chosen it myself, but I'm happy to give it a go, especially as I've had to miss the last few meetings and it will be good to discuss a shared book with them all again! :D  I'm going to read a bit first and if I'm enjoying it, I'll probably buy the Kindle version so I won't have to walk around lopsided ;)