Your Book Activity - October 2015

frankie

I started reading The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, I'm on page 84 but I'm not yet convinced my mojo's back. 

Ooh .. try and stick with it. I seem to remember it meandered on for a bit and then wham!! :D 

Just finished The Vet's Daughter by Barbara Comyns .. I love her books but they're always a bit strange :D Also getting towards the end of my audiobook Our Endless Numbered Days by Claire Fuller which is fantastic. Don't know how it will end .. I'll be sad to finish it.

Just about to begin The Collected Works of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin which I got from the library. I was a bit confused actually as I thought it was his other book (The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry) which has been recommended on here. I realised when I got it home that it wasn't .. I had only remembered the A.J. Fikry part of the title  :blush2: Not sure how the two fit together or whether I should be reading this one first  :blush2: Hey ho! 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're the same book, Kay. Just given different names in different countries. Annoying, hey?  :banghead:

I read about 40 pages of The Stranger Beside Me before I went to sleep last night. Luckily I didn't have any nightmares afterwards.  :hide:

Ooh .. try and stick with it. I seem to remember it meandered on for a bit and then wham!! :D 

I'm trying! I'm on page 114 now... Hoping the wham will happen sooner not later :D I'll be doggysitting this weekend so that will give me plenty of time to do some reading :) 

Just about to begin The Collected Works of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin which I got from the library. I was a bit confused actually as I thought it was his other book (The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry) which has been recommended on here. I realised when I got it home that it wasn't .. I had only remembered the A.J. Fikry part of the title  :blush2: Not sure how the two fit together or whether I should be reading this one first  :blush2: Hey ho! 

I hate different titles for one simple novel, it's so confusing!! I'm glad you borrowed the book though, I simply loved it last year :smile2: I think you will enjoy it, too! :) 

I read about 40 pages of The Stranger Beside Me before I went to sleep last night. Luckily I didn't have any nightmares afterwards.  :hide:

The end is nigh...  :hide:   The end of the spooky Halloween month, that is! Man, I'm so jealous you are reading the book for the first time :) 

Kylie is right, they just have different titles for different countries. I'm getting this book for my birthday next weekend, I look forward to reading it.

I'm making great progress in Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 2: World Without End, I hope to have it finished in one of the next few days. If I read a lot, maybe today! I like the book a lot, but after almost a month of just two epic historical fiction books, I'm quite ready to read some shorter books of different genres.

It takes place ~200 years after Pillars, some characters are descendants of the original characters, but all the original characters are long gone. It features the same cathedral and priory though, and there are some similarities between the two books. I've made good progress in it the past few days, and I'm enjoying it a lot at the moment.

Thanks - I thought it was a long time after, which is why I never thought of it as a true sequel.

I'm about a third through The Goldfinch. It really is a massive book, but I am enjoying it. I have no idea where the story will take me or how it ends, and whether something dramatic will happen or if it's more just a slice-of-life type story.

They're the same book, Kay. Just given different names in different countries. Annoying, hey?  :banghead:

Thanks Kylie :hug: .. that never even crossed my mind .. it should have though .. what a dolt!!  :blush2: I have seen the other title in Waterstone's though  :confused:

The Stranger Beside Me sounds like the sort of book that would keep me awake for a month. It's about Ted Bundy isn't it?  :hide: He freaks me out. He looked so normal .. even pleasant. I don't know about you but I prefer my serial killers to look sinister .. shifty eyes etc  :blush2: It's helpful!

I hate different titles for one simple novel, it's so confusing!! I'm glad you borrowed the book though, I simply loved it last year :smile2: I think you will enjoy it, too! :)

I am loving it so far :D Thanks for the recommendation lovely xx

Hope you're able to read more of The Paying Guests and that it catches fire soon .. things definitely take a .. different turn :D 

Kylie is right, they just have different titles for different countries. I'm getting this book for my birthday next weekend, I look forward to reading it.

Thanks Athena :) .. hope you enjoy it too. Glad you're getting on well with The Pillars of the Earth 2 .. well done .. it's such a tome!

I've finished Our Endless Numbered Days now .. bit sad as it was riveting. So difficult to get an audiobook that grips you .. will need to get another soon so hope something jumps out at me. Has to be the right combination of good narrator and good story. Has anyone read Disclaimer by Renee Knight? That's the one they keep telling me I'd like anyway :D 

Ooh bobbs .. The Goldfinch!!!!!!! .. well .. I'd better not say any more *sits on hands so as not to type anything else* :D  

Thanks - I thought it was a long time after, which is why I never thought of it as a true sequel.

That makes sense :). It features the same towns and has a few similar elements to the first book. I just finished it :thud:.

Thanks Athena :) .. hope you enjoy it too. Glad you're getting on well with The Pillars of the Earth 2 .. well done .. it's such a tome!

Thank you :)! It is, I've just finished it, gladly, but it took quite a bit of time to read :thud:.

The Stranger Beside Me sounds like the sort of book that would keep me awake for a month. It's about Ted Bundy isn't it?  :hide: He freaks me out. He looked so normal .. even pleasant. I don't know about you but I prefer my serial killers to look sinister .. shifty eyes etc  :blush2: It's helpful!

Yep, it's about Ted Bundy. It's all the more special as Ann Rule who wrote the book personally knew Ted, and worked with him, answering the phones of a helpline. Of all things!! I wonder how many people Ted saved on the phone.... :o I know what you mean about liking your serial killers to look suspicious so as to be able to avoid them :D 

I am loving it so far :D Thanks for the recommendation lovely xx

Yay, so happy to hear you're liking it! :smile2: I've been wanting to re-read it for a while now, even though it was only last year that I read it. 

Hope you're able to read more of The Paying Guests and that it catches fire soon .. things definitely take a .. different turn :D 

I wonder if it's the same as with Fingersmith... That one took a different turn, too! :D One of my most favorite plot twists ever. Quite oddly I seem to be reading the novel in certain page-intervals: I left off at 54, then at 84, then at 114. 30 pages is all I can handle at a time? :D It's going to take forever... 

I've finished Our Endless Numbered Days now .. bit sad as it was riveting. So difficult to get an audiobook that grips you .. will need to get another soon so hope something jumps out at me. Has to be the right combination of good narrator and good story. Has anyone read Disclaimer by Renee Knight? That's the one they keep telling me I'd like anyway :D 

I've read the book. Who keeps telling you you'd like it? It's been a while since I read it... Ah yes. I liked it more than I remembered :D My notes tell me I gave it 5/5. There are unexpected things in it... Better not to say more... I enjoyed it at least :)  (Edit: weird placement of the term 'at least'. Take it to mean that I, at least, enjoyed the book, if no one else did.)

Edited by frankie

Ooh bobbs .. The Goldfinch!!!!!!! .. well .. I'd better not say any more *sits on hands so as not to type anything else* :D  

Ooooh, that sounds mysterious! You have me intrigued now!! :D Does that mean there's a twist, or something shocking happens?? :blink: I've managed to avoid reading anything about it, so I'll probably be surprised at anything that happens. :giggle:

Thank you ! It is, I've just finished it, gladly, but it took quite a bit of time to read .

Well done! You need to reward yourself now with something lighter and shorter :D

Yep, it's about Ted Bundy. It's all the more special as Ann Rule who wrote the book personally knew Ted, and worked with him, answering the phones of a helpline. Of all things!! I wonder how many people Ted saved on the phone.... I know what you mean about liking your serial killers to look suspicious so as to be able to avoid them.

:o OMG .. he manned a helpline??!!??   :o Oh goodness .. the mind boggles. 

I think serial killers should have horns!! .. and a forked tail! You would definitely cross the street if you saw that approaching! Except for at Halloween .. that could be tricky! :blush2:  

Yay, so happy to hear you're liking it! I've been wanting to re-read it for a while now, even though it was only last year that I read it.

It's still going exceedingly well :D

I wonder if it's the same as with Fingersmith... That one took a different turn, too! :D One of my most favorite plot twists ever. Quite oddly I seem to be reading the novel in certain page-intervals: I left off at 54, then at 84, then at 114. 30 pages is all I can handle at a time? It's going to take forever...

I haven't read Fingersmith but I have an inkling that's exactly the different turn it will take :D :D :D 

You have a thirty page a session habit :D 

I've read the book. Who keeps telling you you'd like it? It's been a while since I read it... Ah yes. I liked it more than I remembered. My notes tell me I gave it 5/5. There are unexpected things in it... Better not to say more... I enjoyed it at least :)  (Edit: weird placement of the term 'at least'. Take it to mean that I, at least, enjoyed the book, if no one else did.)

Oh Audible .. and Amazon (though they are one and the same really) based on what I've read/listened to. I think they said because I liked The Girl on the Train. Anyway .. a 5/5 .. that's good enough for me :D 

Ooooh, that sounds mysterious! You have me intrigued now!! :D Does that mean there's a twist, or something shocking happens?? :blink: I've managed to avoid reading anything about it, so I'll probably be surprised at anything that happens. :giggle:

It kicks off bigtime .. that's all I'll say :D Hang on to your hat!!

Well done! You need to reward yourself now with something lighter and shorter :D

Thanks :D, that's exactly what I'm doing. I re-read Paul van Loon - De Griezelbus 1, a children's horror book (pretty famous in the Netherlands, I've read it several times), and I'm currently re-reading 30 Verhalen uit de Griezelclub by several authors (including Paul van Loon), which contains 30 short horror stories for children. So I'm a bit in the horror-y mood :witch:.

:o OMG .. he manned a helpline??!!??   :o Oh goodness .. the mind boggles. 

Exactly!! He was one sick barstard for sure. Thrived on power, he did. :no: 

I think serial killers should have horns!! .. and a forked tail! You would definitely cross the street if you saw that approaching! Except for at Halloween .. that could be tricky! :blush2:  

That would be ... trick or treat... :giggle2::lol: 

It's still going exceedingly well :D

I'm getting very repetitive, but hurraaaaah anyways! :D 

I haven't read Fingersmith but I have an inkling that's exactly the different turn it will take :D :D :D 

I wish you'd read it because I'd like to say a few things.... But ... I guess I can say this much: the turn you're probably referring to, well, that was similar to F, but there was this huge, massive, humongous OTHER twist to Fingersmith... So if the only twist in this novel is the slight one that was also in F before the humongous one, I'm probably going to feel a bit let down by this novel :unsure: 

You have a thirty page a session habit :D 

Oh Audible .. and Amazon (though they are one and the same really) based on what I've read/listened to. I think they said because I liked The Girl on the Train. Anyway .. a 5/5 .. that's good enough for me :D 

After reading two Dutch children's horror books, I didn't feel in the mood for a third one. Instead I started John Green - An Abundance of Katherines, which I like so far. I didn't really feel like reading much yesterday because I felt so tired, so I'm no that far into it yet. I'm only on page 26.

Finished the excellent and chilling Monsters by Emerald Fennell yesterday and I've now started reading The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.  I was carrying the hardback around until I was sure I was going to read it, but after 50 pages, I figured I might as well buy the Kindle version, as it's not going to be a short read, and it's just too big to carry everywhere.  Have also started listening to Northanger Abbey as I'd run out of podcasts, and I'm doing the A Tale of Two Cities group read too, so that's three books on the go at once :o

Needed to kill some time waiting for the bus home, so stopped off in the bookshop and actually managed to find a copy of Emma Carroll's latest book, The Snow Sister, although at only 100 pages, it's more of a novella than a novel.  Still, I'm looking forward to it, and will probably read it tomorrow. :)

Read The Snow Sister this morning, and it's as charming as all Emma Carroll's other books, and has a lovely message too.  A perfect little Christmas story. :smile2:

I'm almost 100 pages into The Bone Clocks now, and hoping to sit down for a good long session with it after lunch.

I'm about thirty pages from the end of The Returned, so hopefully I'll finish that today - and I'll have read one whole book in October! :roll:

Is this The Returned by Seth Patrick? I have this on my book shelf. Hope it's a good read. And it could be worse....you could have read no books! :D

I finished The Goldfinch today.....very good read! :yes:  Next up is NOS4R2 by Joe Hill.

Edited by bobblybear