What's up in December?

Kell

Yup, it's December already! Only 24 days till Xmas!!!

What's everyone up to?

Xan and I are still recovering from being horribly ill (my chest infection is improving but I also have glandular fever, however Xan is almost well now apart from a bit of a cough and some sniffles). Next week we shall be hopping on a train to visit the olds in Northumberland for a few days and take Xmas gifts to everyone...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only 24 days left.... where have all the pay days gone?

I've been working the same shift at work now for two months and after 5 years of rotating shift work, my body is still not used to it. Plus all the overtime I've been doing and I've barely had any time to read, so my books are beginning to backlog. :D

This weekend I'm going to sort out a space in my living room for my Christmas tree and then hopefully O's will get the decorations down from the attic for me. Next week, we have several trips to Christmas markets planned, so I should be in the festive spirit by then.

Weekly shopping done already, so it's now full steam ahead into Christmas mode - cakes are currently baking in the oven, and decorations are being brought down from the attic for cleaning and adornment of the mantlepiece, bookshelves and piano today, but will be a couple of week before we get the tree.

I've gotten ridiculously addicted to Etsy. I've bought a load of gorgeous book pendants (The Book Thief, The Fault In Our Stars, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, and Inkheart) - I also bought a gorgeous Winnie The Pooh pendant which has a piece of map of the Hundred Acre Wood encased in glass, an engraved bracelet with the Doctor Who quote, 'We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?' and there's at least one more Doctor Who bracelet I want.

RIDICULOUS I tells ya. For the sake of your bank accounts, stay away from Etsy!

I'm looking forward to nice 3-day weekend starting tomorrow! I'm taking Monday off from work for my birthday. :)

I'm also taking the 3 days after Christmas off, and since I also get Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve, and New Years Day off, I get a nice long vacation at the end of December, and only have to use 3 vacation days! :D

I've gotten ridiculously addicted to Etsy. I've bought a load of gorgeous book pendants (The Book Thief, The Fault In Our Stars, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, and Inkheart) - I also bought a gorgeous Winnie The Pooh pendant which has a piece of map of the Hundred Acre Wood encased in glass, an engraved bracelet with the Doctor Who quote, 'We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?' and there's at least one more Doctor Who bracelet I want.

RIDICULOUS I tells ya. For the sake of your bank accounts, stay away from Etsy!

Etsy is very evil :D

It is great to have a place where people can sell their homemade wares online though.

I got to work this morning to find a lovely surprise. One of my co-workers had given me a pretty potted orchid for my birthday, which was yesterday, along with a card. Someone had also given me a gorgeous, deep blue pashmina (which I still have wrapped around my neck). I suspect it's from my boss, but I'm not sure. :D

I'm going to a Christmas Carol service this evening, held by the UCC Choral Society in the university's chapel. Should be lovely! With any luck, going for hot chocolate and a mosey around the festively-decorated Peace Park in town beforehand. Hopefully will have some photos later!

Happy belated Bday, Echo!

Have a good time at the service, Noll, it sounds very festive :D.

I've been slowly unpacking in the new place all month long and I'm getting closer to being all 'put away,' I can feel it! Then maybe I can think about digging out the holiday decor.

Friday is our annual company holiday party and we'll be at the bowling alley this year, which should be interesting. Free food, drinks and gifts sounds fine by me! I'm also hoping to finish writing my Christmas cards this weekend and seeing the movie Lincoln.

Have a lovely rest of your week, you guys! :D

Had the day off and drove up to meet Poppyshake for a coffee and a chat, and had a lovely day. Couldn't believe how cold it was and all the trees were white with frost, and had to stop and take some photos:

post-4870-0-08041000-1355332029_thumb.jpgpost-4870-0-37768800-1355332030_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, it was a clearway on a lot of the road, so I couldn't stop to get a picture of the best bits on the road with a canopy of frosty trees forming an archway to drive through, but these give you an idea.

Got home to find the roofers have finished the work on the house, and we now no longer need to keep a plastic tub on the windowsill to catch the rain leaking in through the roof any more.

All in all, a pretty good day! :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

Happy belated birthday Echo.

My kids are away at the moment. They left early Monday and don't get back till next Monday. It's the longest I've been without them. Had a few texts and sounds like they're having a good time.

We've also got some summer weather. :D It's been about 23c all this week. It's great. Hope it keeps up.

Those pics are beautiful Chesilbeach, but I'll keep my summer now we've finally got one.

Today - Flags are at half staff throughout America and the Nation is in Mourning.

Such an absolute tragedy, Muggles. Our hearts and prayers go out to all the families affected. I read they told children to shut their eyes as they walked out past those who had been shot :cry:

It's such an aweful aweful incident, and right before christmas too. My heart cries for all the families involved. :(

Edited by Devi

I had nightmares last night after the shooting. I had to go through and check on Xan before I could sleep again! Makes me ever so grateful to have him safe and well.

Xan and I are off to see a panto this afternoon - Little Red Riding Hood. We've been looking forward to it all year!

Love your children and let them know you love them.

Newtown, Conn is a very small town with a population of around 2000 people. Now, the town is minus 20 children.

One teacher in the school heard shooting and took her 15 first grade students into a bathroom and barricaded the door. She said the children were being very good and keeping quiet. Some children asked if they could go out and see what was happening, another stated that he only wanted Christmas and that he didn't want to die. I only want Christmas he stated. I cry just thinking of what the children have gone through. Twenty children that will not have the chance to live their lives. Pray for their families.