The most under-rated films

sod

As we have the most over-rated films list up and running I felt it only fair to look at some of the most under-rated films;

For example, Withnail and I springs to mind as do High Fidelity and Babel

I thought that last one read as 'Babe', and thought "Which one? Babe the original or Babe - Pig In The City?" :giggle2:

My nominations for underated films would have to include 'Ghost Dog'. I'm going to ponder this some more and see what others I can come up with.

As we have the most over-rated films list up and running I felt it only fair to look at some of the most under-rated films;

I totally agree with the first two, but I've never seen the last one - yet!

Agree with Babel. I actually don't like Brad Pitt; he's one of very few actors who I just don't enjoy watching, but I did love that film.

From the same director, I would say 21 Grams.

Stand By Me - though appreciated, this brilliant film gets side-lined amidst more famous Stephen King films

What's Eating Gilbert Grape - one of the finest films of Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio, and yet doesn't get mentioned as often as it deserves to

Candy - such a beautiful film - Heath Ledger and the girl (I forget her name) break your heart with their vulnerability

(Edit : Just googled, its Abbie Cornish)

Edited by bree

All good choices Bree. Heath Ledger was a very talented actor, unfortunately his talents are overshadowed by his premature death.

Can I suggest Barefoot in the Park? Robert Redford and Jane Fonda, both at their most beautiful. Very very funny and sweet movie.

I've had a running argument with my brother for years on the merits of Tremors. Not only is it a great film in its own right, but a wonderful homage to all those monster movies of the 1950's.

My brother however, thinks it's crap!

Also, if I mentioned this on some of the Sci-Fi websites I go on, I would be shot, so I'll say it very quietly.....

I enjoyed The Phantom menace!

A few more:

The Warriors

Beautiful Girls

Backbeat

Wag the Dog

A few more:

The Warriors

Beautiful Girls

Backbeat

Wag the Dog

I have Warriors

in my collection. Great movie. Haven't seen any of those others.

Others I would go for are:

In The Company Of Men

Rachel Getting Married

Punchline

I've had a running argument with my brother for years on the merits of Tremors. Not only is it a great film in its own right, but a wonderful homage to all those monster movies of the 1950's.

My brother however, thinks it's crap!

Tremors is brilliant! One of my favourite films, just a wonderful tribute to old school monster movies - and with a brain, too :smile:

As I always tell me boss: I plan ahead. That way, I don't do anything right now :D

I enjoyed The Phantom menace!

:banghead:

Heathen :P:giggle2:

I thought that last one read as 'Babe', and thought "Which one? Babe the original or Babe - Pig In The City?" :giggle2:

My nominations for underated films would have to include 'Ghost Dog'. I'm going to ponder this some more and see what others I can come up with.

Hmm Ghost Dog a wonderful choice who recomended it to you huh :P

Hmm Ghost Dog a wonderful choice who recomended it to you huh :P

Some bloke somewhere. ;)

I would also like to throw into the ring 'Serenity'. It's a fantastic film, that stands alone despite stemming from a series with the same characters. Few outside of Joss Whedon fandom know about Serenity or it's origins in Firefly.

I would also like to throw into the ring 'Serenity'. It's a fantastic film, that stands alone despite stemming from a series with the same characters. Few outside of Joss Whedon fandom know about Serenity or it's origins in Firefly.

Absolutely LOVE that film, very under-rated. As is Firefly and Dollhouse...

I think the avengers will put Whedon into the hollywood spotlight a bit more and hopefully more people will see his previous stuff.

Ditto with Serenity - good call Chrissy. Firefly was quickly becoming Whedon's best series, imo, before it was so rudely cancelled.

By coincidence, last night I watched Castle (starring Nathan Fillion) and Homeland (starring Morena Baccarin) so I really should've remembered Serenity! :doh::lol:

Is it any good? on my Lovefilm list to be watched.

Yeah, it's good fun. I don't feel any compulsion to see every single episode, but it's easy to dip in and out of and still enjoy it. Season 2's just started on Five on Friday nights :smile:

Pleasantville, with Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon, is very underrated.

Also, I Heart Huckabees and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Edited by Kylie

A few more:

Wag the Dog

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I agree that all of these films are under rated. 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' is one of my favourite films.

Some bloke somewhere. ;)

That is a fantastic film! Not only does it really do the business for the existing fans, but those who know nothing about the show can enjoy it just as much. Wheedon is one of the great under-rated geniuses of the business. :)

Also, I Heart Huckabees and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Great choices Kylie I love them all :smile:

I feel that I must also add, The Fisher King, Juno and Lars and the Real Girl

Almost anything with Jeff Bridges in. He was once labelled the most underappreciated actor of his time. Not so much now I guess, since he has won an Oscar (on his sixth nomination!)

The Big Lebowski, also The Fisher King, Fearless, and Starman.