Most over-rated film ever?

Timstar

I feel bad now for being the first one to mention Blair Witch. Sorry muggle not :( Another over-rated film was Crash. It won the Best Picture Oscar a few years ago, but it just seemed very trite and cliched. The subject was important, but the film itself was dull. Oh, and the Ocean's Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen films. Now, I'm perhaps in the minority here, but I really liked the original with the rat pack in, but but the remakes just aren't as good. George Clooney is quite good in the role, but does he always have to look so smug?!

Ruth, please don't feel bad. I was only complementing the students who filmed and produced the film. Actually, I also thought the hype was much better than the actual film and in fact the film was probably over-rated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another over-rated film was Crash. It won the Best Picture Oscar a few years ago, but it just seemed very trite and cliched. The subject was important, but the film itself was dull.

Completely agree with this one.

I would also go with Blade Runner, although I want to give this another chance one day.

I also never got the hype around The Princess Bride, but I'm also willing to give that another go, having since read and loved the book.

Another over-rated film was Crash. It won the Best Picture Oscar a few years ago, but it just seemed very trite and cliched. The subject was important, but the film itself was dull.

Was that the Crash with Tandie Newton in it Ruth, or that pervy one with people getting turned on by crashing cars ?

I don't know who Tandie Newton is, but I think it was that one (it's all about racism). The second one sounds like it must be based on JG Ballard's novel of the same name.

Kylie, Thandie Newton plays the film directors wife in Crash (and she was in Mission Impossible 2 as well, trying to prevent your home city from becoming the location of the start of an outbreak of a manufactured fatal virus alongside Tom Cruise!).

I also never got the hype around The Princess Bride, but I'm also willing to give that another go, having since read and loved the book.

I love both the book and the film. I think it's one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen with very little changed (in fact, I thin kthey only thing they changed was sharks to screaming eels, which was quite a good move), and little omitted (apart from things like the trying on of many oitfits and hats which, in the book, was alluded to but "omitted form the translation" LOL!).

Was that the Crash with Tandie Newton in it Ruth, or that pervy one with people getting turned on by crashing cars ?

The pervy Crash with James Spader was pretty bad too. It kind of grossed me out.

I love both the book and the film. I think it's one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen with very little changed (in fact, I thin kthey only thing they changed was sharks to screaming eels, which was quite a good move), and little omitted (apart from things like the trying on of many oitfits and hats which, in the book, was alluded to but "omitted form the translation" LOL!).

love the Princess Bride film, classic heart-warming and funny. The book is in my TBR pile

Ah yes. The part where they were pulled over by the police was too disturbing for me. :(

it disturbs me as well...I will literally get up and leave the room and get a snack, drink whatever till it's over...I just can't watch it

The pervy Crash with James Spader was pretty bad too. It kind of grossed me out.

I watched the first scene or two (with Holly Hunter, wasn't it? ) and it totally turned me off...I just can't watch it

Titanic.

Difficult to pick the most annoying moment as there were so many, but I'm going for when him and her are clinging to the flat end of the ship, with people screaming and dying all around them, and she says to him something along the lines of 'Oh, Jack, this is where we first met' as if they'd been together for years instead of about 48 hours

The Thandie Newton one. It also had Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon and (I think) Don Cheadle. It beat Brokeback Mountain for best picture, which was a travesty!

The other film you mentioned was dire as well. Even though the excellent James Spader was in it.