Most over-rated film ever?

Timstar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really really really disliked Avatar! There I said it :lol:

I don't know if I disliked it as much as you, but it certainly wasn't great. James Cameron seems to be getting a monopoly, what with Avatar and Titanic. I have to say, I really hated Terminator 2 as well. I loved the first film, loathed everything about the second one, from Arnie being a 'good' terminator, to his useless catchphrases, to the thumbs up at the end, and the kid playing John Connor ... aaaaaaaaaargh! But then Cameron did make one of my all time faves (Aliens) so maybe I should cut him slack ...

Er, nope, can't do it!

Titanic- not only the name of the ship, but the only thing big enough to describe James Cameron's ego. Made even worse by Celine Dion's warbling.

:rolol: Nearly put me off Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio for life! But they were much younger then so I've forgiven them now.(You have to try to move on from these traumas) And I so agree with your dislike of Celine's overblown 'I yi -yi- yi -yi will always love you-ooh-ooh-ohh -ohh.'

(but I did love Avatar :out: )

Edited by poppy

It is amazing what some people love and what others dislike. It goes to prove that it would be a sad world if we all liked the same music and same acting.

For example, The Blair Witch Project, although certainly not an academy award type film :), was well put together by some students from Montgomery College in Maryland. I applaud their enginuity (sp). Of course, I may be somewhat prejudiced. :)

Me too! None of my friends can understand why I thought it was so boring. Visually it looked pretty good but the plot was so boring and the film felt like it went on forever.

Well for me, I had seen the story a hundred times or more as a kid. It was pretty much a rip off of two favourite childhood movies of mine. I'm all for taking a story and adding a modern twist to it, but something about avatar made me want to leave halfway through the movie, and I was counting down the minutes till it ended lol. I would of probably left if I wasn't with friends.

For example, The Blair Witch Project, although certainly not an academy award type film :), was well put together by some students from Montgomery College in Maryland. I applaud their enginuity (sp). Of course, I may be somewhat prejudiced. :)

Yeah, I think the problem with Blair Witch was the hype. If I'd known nothing about it and caught it late night on tv by chance it probably would've scared the hell out of me. As it was, I watched it expecting to be terrified and just ended up being a bit bored.

I thought Blair Witch was overhyped too. I thought it was a so-so film and not at al lscary (I don't think I jumped evenonce while watching it!) so I was incredibly disappointed, having been told "Oh, it's the scariest film you'll ever watch - you'll be terrified!" Oh, and the shaky camera made me feel a little sick at times too. I suffer pretty bad motion sickness so it wasn't ideal. However, even without the shaky cameras, I thought all the praise was blown WAAAAYYYYYY out of proportion.

I really really really disliked Avatar! There I said it :lol: Oh and the Harry Potter movies - mainly because of Daniel Radcliffe!

Agree about Harry Potter. I have nothing against Daniel Radcliffe, but I thought the movies were way over-rated. Well, the first one anyway - which was the only one I saw. I was bored. I also read the first Harry Potter book, and dare I say that I thought that too was over-rated? *ducks for cover* :hide:

Edited by Ruth

Yeah, I think the problem with Blair Witch was the hype. If I'd known nothing about it and caught it late night on tv by chance it probably would've scared the hell out of me. As it was, I watched it expecting to be terrified and just ended up being a bit bored.

I went to see 'The Blair Witch Project' with a friend who had bought into the promotion of this film. She was terrified of it, but I wasn't scared at all (which is unusual because I'm a real wimp). The sequel to this film is absolutely dire. I was actually laughing throughout it, even though I was supposed to be scared.

Edited by karen.d

Actually, the hype of the Blair Witch Project was part of the genius of the students. How many people would have gone to see a movie produced and filmed by some obscure students if not for the ingenius hype. How many of us would even be talking about the movie? I give them total credit for what they accomlished.

And let me apologize now for taking this thread off-topic somewhat. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on what films they think overrated.

Actually, the hype of the Blair Witch Project was part of the genius of the students. How many people would have gone to see a movie produced and filmed by some obscure students if not for the ingenius hype. How many of us would even be talking about the movie? I give them total credit for what they accomlished.

And let me apologize now for taking this thread off-topic somewhat. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on what films they think overrated.

As a piece of marketing, 'Blair Witch' was brilliant. The trailer and website were set up to look like the footage was real. Also I think that there would have been more of an impact, if the film had only been released on video/dvd. This is because it would have been as if the film ,was part of home movie footage.

Over-rated films; Iron Lady, Titanic, Top Gun (in fact most films with Tom Cruise), The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, to name but a few

Couldn't agree more about TIODP. Even as a Python fan this was one of those films that after watching it and walking out of the cinema I felt I'd been conned out of my leisure time and my money. It should never have got released.

The marketing for Blair Witch was terrific. Unfortunately, it's a double edged sword...they got so much interest in the film, and people went to see it who otherwise would not have even heard of it - but such a good marketing campaign led people to expect a better film. So many people I know who went to see it at the time (I waited until I could watch it at home) said how disappointed they were. However if this thread was about superb marketing campaigns, I most certainly would have mentioned how good the Blair Witch campaign was :)

Saying that of course, it would indeed be a dull world if we all liked the same thing. Although I would say that saying a film was over-rated does not necessarily mean that you think the film is bad. Just not as good as the hype would have you believe.

Edited by Ruth

I feel bad now for being the first one to mention Blair Witch. Sorry muggle not :(

Another over-rated film was Crash. It won the Best Picture Oscar a few years ago, but it just seemed very trite and cliched. The subject was important, but the film itself was dull.

Oh, and the Ocean's Eleven, Twelve and Thirteen films. Now, I'm perhaps in the minority here, but I really liked the original with the rat pack in, but but the remakes just aren't as good. George Clooney is quite good in the role, but does he always have to look so smug?!

Edited by Ruth