Signing up to Netflix, good idea?

Ben

Okay, so as you've all seen from my other film-related thread (Educating Ben), my film knowledge is lacking, and I've been wondering recently about signing up to something like LoveFilm or Netflix. Now, Netflix sounds appealing because it's relatively cheep (£5.99 a month), but I'm not sure.

Does anyone else use it, and is it worth it? How 'new' are the options for the films you can see? Nnot that I'll be watching all new films with so many classics to catch up on, but I just wondered. Also, if you watch on a computer or games console do you need to have fast internet to 'stream' the movies/tv series', or do you not have to worry about streaming once they're downloaded?

Just wanted a couple of opinions from people that use this kind of service, really. Thanks guys. :D

I have netflix and use all the time....although I will say it seems that every movie I want to watch isnt available....I watch mostly from the Wii console, but at times on laptop, nook, even my phone. You def want a fast connection, or it'll keep pausing...as Michelle suggested u should take advantage of the free trial and see how u like it

We have Netflix and it's well worth it, although we tend to use it for tv shows more than films. There is a pretty good selection of films on there, old, new, and spanning all genres. The choice of tv shows is good too. For the price you pay per month, I'd say it's definitely worth a look.

Oh, and you can multi stream to different devices as well. So, for example, you could be watching something on a computer upstairs, while someone else watches something different downstairs.

Edited by Ruth

I have Netflix as well and use it quite often. I don't have cable TV but I do have wireless high-speed internet so Netflix is a good option for me. Everyone is correct in that there isn't a ton of new movies, but like you said Ben, you'll be watching a lot of older films anyway. Eventually the films that are new get added later when they are not so new. Like I have True Grit in my queue now and that was a 2010/2011 film.

The free trial is a great way for you to test it out and see if you'll like it! :)

I've been thinking about doing this as well - Netflix or LoveFilm. How much is the unlimted movies package? I can't find any information other than the introductory price of £4.99 or £5.99. Does it suddenly then go up to £10/month or something?

I've been thinking about doing this as well - Netflix or LoveFilm. How much is the unlimted movies package? I can't find any information other than the introductory price of £4.99 or £5.99. Does it suddenly then go up to £10/month or something?

I know with Netflix it is just £5.99 a month and that is it, no extra costs after x amount of months and I can only assume that LoveFilm is the same.

I hear Hulu Plus is better for tv series....though I haven't checked for myself

We can't get Hulu in the UK yet though :(

I know with Netflix it is just £5.99 a month and that is it, no extra costs after x amount of months and I can only assume that LoveFilm is the same.

And that's for unlimited viewing? That's a very, very good deal! :thud: I might have to seriously consider that!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if it would be a better idea for me to sign up for something where I can have DVDs sent, actually. As Netflix is streaming-based it might not be a good idea, considering I share my internet with everyone in my halls (meaning download speeds/streaming isn't always the quickest). I'm worried that I'll end up not being to watch anything because it won't buffer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just popping in to say that I changed from Netflix to LoveFilm - it's a little more expensive at £7.99 a month, but for that I get unlimited streaming, plus the DVDs sent out. They've added lots of TV series now from what I can see, including the whole of Lost!

Is LoveFilm strictly a UK thing, Michelle?

I have Netflix and am not all that happy with their streaming selection. Of course it all depends on your taste and they do change things up every few weeks. Hulu usually has enough for me since they put up current shows the day after they air so that's pretty much the reason I am quitting Netflix (sorry you don't have Hulu).

That's interesting. I signed up for the free trial on Netflix this weekend and although it's great at the minute, I know I'll want to stop watching at the end of the trial. Might be an idea to change over to LoveFilm.

• 1 month later...

That's interesting. I signed up for the free trial on Netflix this weekend and although it's great at the minute, I know I'll want to stop watching at the end of the trial. Might be an idea to change over to LoveFilm.

We're with Lovefilm-the package with unlimited DVDs and streaming for £9.99. Definitely worth the money- we get all the new one s on DVD and use the streaming to watch older films and niche films. It's a bonus for the family to be able to watch different movies at the same time sometimes too. No problems with them not playing on lagging so far.

We're with Lovefilm-the package with unlimited DVDs and streaming for £9.99. Definitely worth the money- we get all the new one s on DVD and use the streaming to watch older films and niche films. It's a bonus for the family to be able to watch different movies at the same time sometimes too. No problems with them not playing on lagging so far.

This sounds perfect, in all fairness. I was using Netflix, but cancelled after the free trial. Despite there being a decent selection, I often found them lacking in a film I wanted to watch, and although I'm sure it'd be worth the price still, I just didn't think it'd be worth it for me. I'm going to look back into LoveFilm soon though, I'm sure.