Shelleys 2012 Reading Log

shelley.s

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm 205 pages into The Night Circus (yes its taken 6 days to read 35 pages :o ) and its still boring as hell. Ive not read it for the past 3 days and have no time for this book what so ever. I have no idea what over people saw in it! Please lord give me the strength I need to complete this book, is all I can say on this matter!

Oh dear I've got this on my wishlist :(

I agree with Karsa it's no fun when your forcing yourself to read & it's very bad for your mojo :smile:

Yes you guys are right, I read it again last night and the more I read it the more I resent it. I'm almost starting to hate it which in reality the book doesnt really warrant hate, its just because I'm forcing myself to read something that I find really boring. I really don't like abandoning books but I feel that the night circus is going to end up next to Neil Gaimans Anansi Boys on the abandoned shelf

Oh dear I've got this on my wishlist :(

I agree with Karsa it's no fun when your forcing yourself to read & it's very bad for your mojo :smile:

Well there must be something good in it that other people have recognized so maybe you'll love it. I just can't get into it at all. If you do read it please enlighten me :blush2:

• 2 weeks later...

280 pages into the night circus and its starting to get ok. I decided not to abandon it but I did take a week and a half out. Ive also been really busy with my new tropical tank :D so ive not read as much. Looking forward to making a fresh start on a new book to get me back into the swing of reading though!

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - 2/5

I don't even know where to start with this review. I'm so glad its over. Every one raved about this book and I have noooo idea why! The characters are the most two dimensional people you will ever come across and there is literally no emotion or connection with them at all or the story for that matter. You occasionally get the odd nostalgic feeling but that really doesn't make up for having to trawl through the rest of the book.The romance is ok, probably some of the more readable chapters are about the romance but again this is scarce. I think considering how short this book is its taken me the longest time to get through it because the thought of reading it bored me to death. It didnt help that the hype surrounding this book was major, I was expecting so so much and it fell flat on its face. If you want magic and forbidden romance read Daughter of Smoke and Bone, its way better!

Onwards and upwards though, I've just ordered The Anubis Gates as recommended by Karsa, I can't wait for it to arrive!

Can I come out of my hiding place now, then? :hide::giggle2:

Glad you're enjoying it :smile:

Hehe yeh you can come out now

I'm thinking of reading The Women in Black after. I don't normally go for ghost stories but ive heard good things about it. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know :)

I'm thinking of reading The Women in Black after. I don't normally go for ghost stories but ive heard good things about it. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know :)

The Woman in Black is good, Shelley. I'd also recommend Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. My favourite is probably The Shining. :smile:

The Woman in Black is good, Shelley. I'd also recommend Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. My favourite is probably The Shining. :smile:

Yes ive heard alot about Dark Matter too, funny enough I read Michelle Paver's childern's books when I was younger! The Shining was a great film but I never got it :blush2: I'm not keen of Stephen King after attempting Dream Caster I think it was? Anyway I gave up after a few chapters

Yes ive heard alot about Dark Matter too, funny enough I read Michelle Paver's childern's books when I was younger! The Shining was a great film but I never got it :blush2: I'm not keen of Stephen King after attempting Dream Caster I think it was? Anyway I gave up after a few chapters

Dreamcatcher? Haven't read it. My general rule with King is that everything up to Misery is pretty awesome, everything after Misery is very patchy. Dreamcatcher came after Misery, The Shining came before - it's his third novel. It's a fantastic book :smile:

Dreamcatcher? Haven't read it. My general rule with King is that everything up to Misery is pretty awesome, everything after Misery is very patchy. Dreamcatcher came after Misery, The Shining came before - it's his third novel. It's a fantastic book :smile:

Ah ok so might well be worth reading. Yes Dreamcatcher was the one, see it was that bad I couldnt even remember the title :giggle2:

• 4 months later...

Soooo i havent been on here forever, sorry guys and gals! To be honest i havent actually read for a very long time. All sorts of things have been going on at home and ive simply not had the time. Ive almost finished the Anubis Gates, its been good but sadly all the stopping and starting has definitely ruined it.

Ive ruined my street cred and have now started 50 Shades of Grey. Its not my cup of tea at all but i thought id go along with it after all the hype and my sister and bestfriends nagging me over not reading it. Im 3 chapters in, not going to lie it is poorly written and mostly gramatically incorrect but the story line is bareable and i feel after my poor attempt at the Anubis gates that i really oughts to get into it properly. Ive also bought Sirius by Ofla Stapledon, i cant wait to read it, thats more up my street really and i already know im going to enjoy it.

I hope every one has been well whilst ive been away!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, yeh its been a while!

Soo finally finished 50 shades.... not good. Anyway we'll forget about that lol.

Started on Sirius, its good, much better than the last book, yet to finish Anubis Gates, sorry Karsa!

Whats every one reading now'a days?