Shelleys 2012 Reading Log

shelley.s

Really?? Where those reviews out of interest?

Right, I'm going to start banging the drum now :D It's a brilliant book. If you're looking for something a little different in your fantasy books it definitely worth a look.

ETA: out of 30 reviews on Amazon 21 are 5 stars ... And just a quick look here on SF Reviews.net:

"Tim Powers' masterpiece remains, over 20 years after its first publication, one of modern fantasy's most dazzling acts of the imagination. There have been other novels in the genre about time travel, but none with The Anubis Gates' unique slant on the material, nor its bottomless well of inventiveness. It's literally in a class by itself, a model for others to follow, and it's easy to see how it put Powers on the map.

Powers' plot is so full of ideas and its execution so energetic you wonder how he could cram all of this into a single book. Many fantasy novels are long in the telling, with overly complicated plots to either impress or bore you depending on both your tastes and the author's skill. But you haven't quite seen a literary jigsaw puzzle where the pieces fit as smartly as they do here. Powers draws from everywhere: speculative quantum physics, ancient Egyptian mythology, Romany lore, history and classical literature. Then he mixes it all together with the carefree exuberance of a kid with his first chemistry set. The result, of course, blows up the room — but in the best possible way. For sheer entertainment value, The Anubis Gates is hard to beat."

Not that you've got any reason to trust my judgement of course ... ;)

I got the reviews off of Library thing!! I also remember there being a thread on it a while back with similar opinions. I have to say it does sound really good, is it difficult to keep up with? If not I'll add it onto my wish list!

It's now on the wish list! I loved Shutter Island so I'm looking forward to getting hold of this one. :)

Yay :D I can't say anything with out spoiling it but I hope you see where I made the connection with shutter island! Ive never read the book, is it good? I loved the film so it must be. I think I'll go look for the book

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeeep my wish list is getting better (and longer.) Thank you every one for sharing your reviews and contributing to my thread :friends0:

How does everyone choose which books to read in what order! I think I will do 2 fantasy 2 scifi and so on. I lke to break it up.

I'm loving Daughter of Smoke and Bone so much at the moment, why didnt I read it sooner! Its such a perculiar thing to enjoy different books for different reasons. I like this book in a completly differnt way to say A scanner Darkly or Flowers for Algernon but I love Daughter of Smoke and bone in the same way I loved Harry Potter :blush2:

I hope you all like the books on my list as much as I do :smile:

I got the reviews off of Library thing!! I also remember there being a thread on it a while back with similar opinions. I have to say it does sound really good, is it difficult to keep up with? If not I'll add it onto my wish list!

Well I suppose, on the internet, it's the people with bad things to say who usually shout loudest. I didn't find it at all difficult to keep up with - it's a rollicking good adventure, which mixed science fiction, fantasy, history, mythology and gawd knows what else. It's impossible to say if you'd feel the same about it, I can only recommend it and then and hide somewhere in case you hate it :giggle2:

I've read a couple of Dennis Lehane's books and they were excellent, but I haven't read Shutter Island. Flowers for Algernon was excellent. I read Do Androids Dream... and A Scanner Darkly back in the 80s, remember loving the first but not so much the second. Might have to re-read it and see if it changes my mind now :smile:

It's a book? :blush2: (I should have guessed) I've only seen the film :lol:

indeed it is :D

I've read a couple of Dennis Lehane's books and they were excellent, but I haven't read Shutter Island. Flowers for Algernon was excellent. I read Do Androids Dream... and A Scanner Darkly back in the 80s, remember loving the first but not so much the second. Might have to re-read it and see if it changes my mind now :smile:

I liked Gone Baby Gone as well, though it did tend to drag a bit......and Mystic River wasn't too shabby either :)

Edited by Sofia

Well I suppose, on the internet, it's the people with bad things to say who usually shout loudest. I didn't find it at all difficult to keep up with - it's a rollicking good adventure, which mixed science fiction, fantasy, history, mythology and gawd knows what else. It's impossible to say if you'd feel the same about it, I can only recommend it and then and hide somewhere in case you hate it :giggle2:

I trust your judgement and ive put it on my amazon list

I can't find the original paper back version of shutter island on amazon :weeping:

I don't want the version with Leonardo Dicaprio's face on it, its not that he's not pretty but I don't want people to think I'm only reading it because of him, the people at work will rip me and I quite like reading at my desk on my lunch break :giggle2:

Yay another Flowers for Algernon fan, see Andrea, you have to join us :D

I love Philip K Dick, definatly worth a re-read!

I trust your judgement and ive put it on my amazon list

Yay! And to be fair, it has got an average of just over 4 on library thing. Away with you, naysayers! :lol:

I definitely want to read some more PKD, probably more of the ones I haven't read before going back to ASD :smile:

Yay! And to be fair, it has got an average of just over 4 on library thing. Away with you, naysayers! :lol:

See this is why people should write good reviews as well as bad. I have to admit I don't usually go by stars :blush2: I pick one good review and one bad one and decide from from that. I do personally think the write up is good though. I'm quite looking forward to reading it :smile:

I definitely want to read some more PKD, probably more of the ones I haven't read before going back to ASD :smile:

Every one ive asked have said the Man in The High Castle is very good. I'd quite like to read Valis next though

Edited by shelley.s

Every one ive asked have said the Man in The High Castle is very good. I'd quite like to read Valis next though

The Man in the High Castle is very good, yeah. I haven't really given any thought to which one I'd like to read next - too much on my tbr pile already! - but possibly Ubik, Valis or The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

I have just started The Man in the High Castle as my son said I should read it, I am enjoying it so far although it is a bit more "alternative world" and less "science fiction" than I had expected. In fact, if I only read science fiction, I think I would probably be disappointed.

Although I am probably just defining science fiction wrongly to myself!

I have just started The Man in the High Castle as my son said I should read it, I am enjoying it so far although it is a bit more "alternative world" and less "science fiction" than I had expected. In fact, if I only read science fiction, I think I would probably be disappointed.

I'm not really a hard core scifi reader so I think I'll be ok, Karsa is the scifi man so if he says itd good then it must be :giggle2:

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - 5/5

I loved practically everything about this book. The characters are lovable, every setting is beautifully described and the story keeps dragging you in. Its the sort of book where you think 'just one more chapter' and before you know it it's 1am! This book is the story of a 17year old girl called Karou. With her blue hair, curious tattoo's and her stories and drawings of weird and wonderful creatures her freinds just think shes eccentric. Litlle do they know that Karou leads a double life, being an art student to all her friends and a errand girl to 4 monstrous beasts that bought her up from a baby. The 4 chimerea are the only people she knows as family but when an errand brings her face to face with and angel ready to destroy her, her world quickly turns upside down and all of the unanswered questions she's lived with finally start to unravell.

You're right Ooshie, it is an alternate history. All I'll say is wait until you've finished it ...

I was curious as to how alternate history is defined, though. Wikipedia says this:

"Alternate history or alternative history[1] is a genre of fiction consisting of stories that are set in worlds in which history has diverged from the actual history of the world. It can be variously seen as a sub-genre of literary fiction, science fiction, and historical fiction; different alternate history works may use tropes from any or all of these genres. It is sometimes abbreviated AH.[2] Another occasionally used term for the genre is "allohistory" (literally "other history")."

I'm not really a hard core scifi reader so I think I'll be ok, Karsa is the scifi man so if he says itd good then it must be :giggle2:

That sentence was going so well until the giggle :lol:

I'm no expert - I've read a fair bit of sf but I'm discovering more and more of it all the time :smile:

You're right Ooshie, it is an alternate history. All I'll say is wait until you've finished it ...

I was curious as to how alternate history is defined, though. Wikipedia says this:

"Alternate history or alternative history[1] is a genre of fiction consisting of stories that are set in worlds in which history has diverged from the actual history of the world. It can be variously seen as a sub-genre of literary fiction, science fiction, and historical fiction; different alternate history works may use tropes from any or all of these genres. It is sometimes abbreviated AH.[2] Another occasionally used term for the genre is "allohistory" (literally "other history")."

I did wonder whether I was judging it a bit prematurely! I'm just over half way through now and still enjoying it. Thanks for the definition - I knew Alternative World wasn't going to be right, it made it sound as if they were living on Jupiter or something! :)

That sentence was going so well until the giggle :lol:

I'm no expert - I've read a fair bit of sf but I'm discovering more and more of it all the time :smile:

:D

So I was in Waterstones today and a bright yellow hardback copy of Flowers for Algernon was staring at me. So I bought it. I blame you :P

Yay I'm so proud :D

I'm very sure you will enjoy it (well I hope so :hide: )

Well I’m about 170 pages into The Night Circus and I have to say, so far I’m kind of disappointed. I really feel like I ought to love this book but the characters so far are just not likeable at all. They are very bland which is a stark contrast to my previous book Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I’m just not feeling the magic that every one else has described.

I think I’ve made a rookie error here. I should have changed genre after Daughter of Smoke and Bone then went back to The Night Circus so that I could appreciate it for what it is. I really hope it gets better further in

Well I’m about 170 pages into The Night Circus and I have to say, so far I’m kind of disappointed. I really feel like I ought to love this book but the characters so far are just not likeable at all. They are very bland which is a stark contrast to my previous book Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I’m just not feeling the magic that every one else has described.

I think I’ve made a rookie error here. I should have changed genre after Daughter of Smoke and Bone then went back to The Night Circus so that I could appreciate it for what it is. I really hope it gets better further in

I had the same problem with the Night Circus Shelley, perhaps partly due to my high expectations after reading reviews on here... I have to say that for me it picked up about 2/3 of the way through the book and I found the last 100 or so pages to be quite thrilling. Fingers crossed it picks up soon for you too! :smile:

Funnily enough we were just talking about high expectations in Poppy's thread. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it, Shelley, especially after going two days without a book while you were waiting for it :(

Funnily enough we were just talking about high expectations in Poppy's thread. Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it, Shelley, especially after going two days without a book while you were waiting for it :(

Yes I think the hype has superseded the book unfortunately. I had the same issue with The Windup Girl. At least I'm not the only one has felt this.

It is annoying though, I was really looking forward to it... on the up though I have been considering my next book... its between Valis by Philip K Dick and The Anubis Gate recommended by you!

I had the same problem with the Night Circus Shelley, perhaps partly due to my high expectations after reading reviews on here... I have to say that for me it picked up about 2/3 of the way through the book and I found the last 100 or so pages to be quite thrilling. Fingers crossed it picks up soon for you too! :smile:

Fingers crossed! Theres still time. I don't think it will be as good as Daughter of Smoke and Bone though

Edited by shelley.s

Well I'm 205 pages into The Night Circus (yes its taken 6 days to read 35 pages :o ) and its still boring as hell. Ive not read it for the past 3 days and have no time for this book what so ever. I have no idea what over people saw in it! Please lord give me the strength I need to complete this book, is all I can say on this matter!