Shelleys 2012 Reading Log

shelley.s

Hey all,

Haven't been on for a while but I've been very busy on the book side of things! I have set myself the challange of reading a minimum of 75 books in 2012 and have got off to a very sci-fi start! Here are the books I've read so far this year...

01/01/2012 - 01/02/2012

Clockwork Prince 5/5 - This is the sequal to Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. I loved it, it was such an excting read. If your a fan of Twilight you'll love these books! Its about a group of shadow hunters (people that hunt bad demons, vampires etc) and their fight against the 'magister' who is trying to kidnap the main character, Tessa, for unknown reasons. Its takes off where the last book ended, set in victorian London wth a group of Shadow hunters living in an institute together. The love triangle between the main 3 characters Tessa, Jem and Will grows ever stronger and there's greater risk of some one getting hurt. Secrets are revealed and a friend betrays the institute in this fabulous new installment.

The Windup Girl 3/5 - This is Paolo Bacigalupi's first book. I wasnt sure about this book, all the way through I just couldnt figure out if I was enjoying it or not. Its quite political and in some chapters its easy to get a bit lost but after I had finished it, in hindsight, it was ok. Set almost entirely in the City of Divine Beings in Thailand in a post oil future where plagues and blights have wiped out the majority of all crops this books take a scary look into a possible future. In parts of the country where so many people are dead or suffering wind up workers were created to carry out work. This book is based on a wind up girl in particular who was left behind by her owner and sold on to a seedy night club to perform sexual acts as a slave. The girl however becomes a bit of a side story as the majority of the book is taken up by governments and groups and their wars for power fighting over who rules the country. The ending is rather sad but there is a good moral to this story. If everyone fights so much over something, eventually, there might not be anything left to fight over. Some people will love it and some will hate it but for now I'm on the fence. PLEASE NOTE: This book contains graphic scenes of a sexual nature, young readers may find it disturbing

A Scanner Darkly 5/5 - This book blew me away, I enjoyed every minute of it and the ending had such a fab twist, it kind of reminded me of shutter island. If you want something a bit different with a good twist this is definatly the book to read! Phillip K Dick is such a unique writer, I think every one should read at least one of his books! Bob Arctor is a substance D addict. He lives with two of his addict mates who all generally fool around on crazy trips after taking the drug. Fred is an investigator sent in to bug Arctors house with scanners to find out who the big people are in this chain of drug deals. Substance D is so powerful that it almost always permanantly brain damages its user causing permanant phycosis. Things start to get strange... or do they... there's a fine line between reality and drug fuelled fantasy... can you work it out!

The people next door 2/5 - This book is written by Christopher Ransom. I've got to be honest, it was naff. It could have been so good but it just wasnt. There were parts in the book that were good, especailly if you like reading gore and the idea was there but it just wasnt utilised. The ending was very mediocre and I was really dissapointed. After a trip on the boating lake goes wrong Mick Nash takes his family back home to discover that the huge expensive house next door to theirs has become occupied. In the following months after the accident the people next door seem to be living on the fringes of the Nash families lives. Always there, always lurking. Murders start to take place and a ghost of Micks friend warms him to stay away from the people next door. Sounds good but its not, don't waste good reading time on this book!

Do androids dream of electric sheep 5/5 Another awesome Phillip K Dick book. I really enjoyed this book, another unique story which most sci-fi fans will enjoy. Set in the future where the majority of human kind have migrated to the planet Mars, only people that have been effected by the radioactive dust or 'chickenheads' remain. Rick remains on earth, he's an adroid hunter, retiring rogue androids that have escaped their owners and become too advanced to be controlled. Ricks biggest dream is to have a real live animal. Seeing as almost all animals are extinct after being wiped out but the radioactive dust they have become very expensive to buy and rare to find. All Rick owns is a false electrict sheep. Will he ever get a live animal?

Flowers for Algernon 5/5 This book is written by Daniel Keyes and has been one of my favourite books so far. Its really sad but I was gripped by every page. It written so incredibally well, he's such a clever author. I even prelonged reading the ending simply because I didnt want the book to be over. It really is a moving reading, again another book that all sci-fi fans should read! Charlie Gordon is a retard, he works in his late uncle's friends bakery as a cleaner and an odd job boy until his special needs teacher puts him forward for an experimental brain operation that could increase his IQ and make him normal. The experiment has been carried out very sucessfully on a mouse named Algernon, he's become a genius, every thing that charlie Gordon wants to be. After having the operation his IQ shoots from 68 to over 130, but life is very diffent now that he is a genius and the horrors from his life as a retarted child start to haunt him. Everything that he never understood before has now become crystal clear. His friends were only his freinds because they could constantly goad him and use him as the butt of their jokes and his mother hated the fact that he was dumb so much that she kicked him out of their home. Was his previous ignorance bliss compared to his new life as an angry, frightened and confused genius? After a few months Algernon unexpectedly starts to deterioate and then dies. What does this mean now for poor Charlie?

So as you can see, I've been busy as a bee but I've loved every moment of reading the majority of these books!

I've now just bought Daughter of smoke and bone by Laini Taylor. So I will let you know how I get on with this book soon

Edited by shelley.s

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read The Birthing House, by Christopher Ransom. It is possibly the worst book I've ever read, and I've seen so many negative reviews of his books. I'm amazed he's still got a contract. I think he's had three novels published, and I don't think I've seen a good review of any of them!

I've got Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? on mount tbr (it's what the film Blade Runner was adapted from, I think). Also, am very intrigued by Flowers for Algernon. I've heard of it, but never read any reviews of it before. Sounds like a good read :)

I read The Birthing House, by Christopher Ransom. It is possibly the worst book I've ever read, and I've seen so many negative reviews of his books. I'm amazed he's still got a contract. I think he's had three novels published, and I don't think I've seen a good review of any of them!

I've got Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? on mount tbr (it's what the film Blade Runner was adapted from, I think). Also, am very intrigued by Flowers for Algernon. I've heard of it, but never read any reviews of it before. Sounds like a good read :)

Yeh had I known how bad The people next door was id never have bothered reading it! What makes it worse was my friend recommended it to me and said it was really good! I wont be reading anymore of her recommendations needless to say as her veiw of a good book is clearly some what warped! Do Androids dream of electric sheep is a really good book, although I thought A scanner darkly was better. Flowers for Algernon is a must! I really reccommend it for all types of readers. Its a tear jerker though!

Edited by shelley.s

I wonder if you have read "The man in the high castle" by Philip.K.Dick? I've struggled with his full novels before, including A scanner darkly - I've always enjoyed his short stories more, but this blew me away! I'd also agree that Flowers for Algernon is very sad!

Hi Ian,

I've not yet read The man in the high castle but its on the list for this year! In fact I'm totally new to sci-fi. For years believed I wouldnt like it so only read fantasy and horror and at the most lurked at the edge of sci-fi. It was only until I got A Scanner Darkly for christmas and read it that I realised what I've been missing out on all these years. So I went sci-fi nuts and got Do androids dream of electric sheep and Flowers for Algernon both books I loved and how now plan to get Flow my Tears, The policeman said and Valis. I'm gutted you didnt enjoy A Scanner Darkly, its one of my favourite books along with Flowers for Algernon!

Electric Sheep is great, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm intrigued to read A Scanner Darkly now.

Oh Andrea you must! Its soo good. It reminded me a bit of shutter island. I'll probably end up reading the majority of Dicks books this year but I have a feeling that A Scanner Darkly will always be my favourite

I've got Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep on the bookcase so I might read it soon. My boyfriend really likes it.

Yes definatly do, don't forget to let us know if you enjoy it! Some people love Philik K Dick and others just don't get the books at all but for me his books are as addictive as Terry Pratchetts!

Edited by shelley.s

Thought id just add these on here, its kind of an undecided wishlist... please feel free to give me your veiw if you've red any of them! (I'm not sure which order I will purchase them in, I like to alternate genres)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said by Philip K Dick

Valis by Philip K Dick

ICO: Castle in the mist by Miyuki Miyabe

My life as awhite trash zombie by Diana Rowland

I'm also eagerly awaitng The Long Earth by Terry Pratcett and Stephen Baxter!

I'm also eagerly awaitng The Long Earth by Terry Pratcett and Stephen Baxter!

Me too! Do you know when it's due out?

If I remember rightly, Flowers for Algernon and A Scanner Darkly were both BCF Reading Circle books, if you are interested in reading what other people thought of them :smile:

But be careful, because we don't hide spoilers in reading circle threads!

Me too! Do you know when it's due out?

But be careful, because we don't hide spoilers in reading circle threads!

The Long Earth is due out on the 21st June this year.

Ah thanks for the heads up about the spoilers! I've already read A Scanner Darkly and Flowers for Algernon but I could have stumbled on a different book I wanted to read by accident!

Edited by shelley.s

I'm already halfway through Daughter of smoke and bone after just 3 days so I've been contemplating what to read next (I'm sure I do more contemplating over what to buy than actually reading!) and I can't decide. I've had such a lucky streek of good reads this year that I feel I should tread carefully as not to end up with a duff one!

I dread to see the book bill at the end of this year :blush2: my adversion of the library and the fact I never find anything I want to read in charity shops means I'm aways spending a fortune, amazon ought togive me a loyalty card :giggle2:

Anyway if anyone would like to suggest a book you feel I would like (going by the above books/authors/genres) please feel free! I just don't know what I fancy!

crossing this off my TBR list :giggle:

Hi Shelley, some great books already on your list there. Shame you didn't know what to make of The Wind-Up Girl, I thought it was terrific when I read it a year or two back, but I agree about some of the content :smile:

Have you had a look through the SF Masterworks releases (cos I noticed two or three of the books you mention are included in that series)?

Hi Shelley, some great books already on your list there. Shame you didn't know what to make of The Wind-Up Girl, I thought it was terrific when I read it a year or two back, but I agree about some of the content :smile:

Have you had a look through the SF Masterworks releases (cos I noticed two or three of the books you mention are included in that series)?

Yes Windup Girl was something very new to me. I've never read anything like it before, I think maybe it was the politics in it that got me. It was good, just not what I was expecting. The ending left me feeling a bit undecided.

I've had a look through all of the Master Works books and there are alot of titles that have caught my attention. The only thing is that the majority of these books are quite short, I literally eat them within 2 days :blush2: its not a bad thing but it leaves me looking again haha!

I'm totally loving Daughter of Smoke and Bone at the moment, its beautifully written, Laini Taylor is such a gifted writer, the book is just seemless, every description is effortless and natural. I thinking maybe I will look for something more Fantasy for my next read. have you read The Night Circus?

I've had a look through all of the Master Works books and there are alot of titles that have caught my attention. The only thing is that the majority of these books are quite short, I literally eat them within 2 days :blush2: its not a bad thing but it leaves me looking again haha!

Yeah, some of them are short. It's not a bad thing, but it could end up getting expensive (<-- speaking from personal experience :lol: )! Judging by what you've listed above, do you prefer earth-bound science fiction to anything set in space/on other planets? I'm trying to come up with suggestions for you (The Stars My Destination springs immediately to mind, based on what you've listed so far - and I can also recommend Philip K. Dick's The Man In The High Castle) :smile:

I thinking maybe I will look for something more Fantasy for my next read. have you read The Night Circus?

I haven't! I've been looking at it and umming and aahing but not taken the plunge :smile: I read a lot of fantasy (probably too much!) so will be interested to hear what you think of it.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Yeah, some of them are short. It's not a bad thing, but it could end up getting expensive (<-- speaking from personal experience :lol: )! Judging by what you've listed above, do you prefer earth-bound science fiction to anything set in space/on other planets? I'm trying to come up with suggestions for you (The Stars My Destination springs immediately to mind, based on what you've listed so far - and I can also recommend Philip K. Dick's The Man In The High Castle) :smile:

Ooo yeh it has to be earth bound, I'm not a fan of things like startrek/wars etc. My friend has just bought The Man in the high castle. I'm just waitng to see what she thinks. I'm not keep on anything space shippy either!

I haven't! I've been looking at it and umming and aahing but not taken the plunge :smile: I read a lot of fantasy (probably too much!) so will be interested to hear what you think of it.

Ive just ordered (as I'm typing) The Night Circus from amazon. I found it in Waterstones on my break and the cover is so pretty even if its not good the £7 was worth it just to look at the cover on my shelf :giggle2:

Edited by shelley.s

Ooo yeh it has to be earth bound, I'm not a fan of things like startrek/wars etc. My friend has just bought The Man in the high castle. I'm just waitng to see what she thinks. I'm not keep on anything space shippy either!

I wasn't thinking specifically of anything like Star Trek/Star Wars, more just about The Stars My Destination, which starts with its main character adrift in space and then quickly gets back to Earth (and stays there).

Have you read The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers?

Ive just ordered (as I'm typing) The Night Circus from amazon. I found it in Waterstones on my break and the cover is so pretty even if its not good the £7 was worth it just to look at the cover on my shelf :giggle2:

I'm just thinking the same about Habibi :D

I Havent read The Anubis Gates however I did read a few reviews on it a while ago and mostly every one reported that they got a bit lost and the a few people abandoned it. I have to say though the write up does sound really good, I'm not very good at keeping up sometimes though so it might be a bit tricky for me?

Habibi on the other hand has lots of good reviews but I don't think its my sort of read.

I Havent read The Anubis Gates however I did read a few reviews on it a while ago and mostly every one reported that they got a bit lost and the a few people abandoned it.

Really?? Where those reviews out of interest?

Right, I'm going to start banging the drum now :D It's a brilliant book. If you're looking for something a little different in your fantasy books it definitely worth a look.

ETA: out of 30 reviews on Amazon 21 are 5 stars ... And just a quick look here on SF Reviews.net:

"Tim Powers' masterpiece remains, over 20 years after its first publication, one of modern fantasy's most dazzling acts of the imagination. There have been other novels in the genre about time travel, but none with The Anubis Gates' unique slant on the material, nor its bottomless well of inventiveness. It's literally in a class by itself, a model for others to follow, and it's easy to see how it put Powers on the map.

Powers' plot is so full of ideas and its execution so energetic you wonder how he could cram all of this into a single book. Many fantasy novels are long in the telling, with overly complicated plots to either impress or bore you depending on both your tastes and the author's skill. But you haven't quite seen a literary jigsaw puzzle where the pieces fit as smartly as they do here. Powers draws from everywhere: speculative quantum physics, ancient Egyptian mythology, Romany lore, history and classical literature. Then he mixes it all together with the carefree exuberance of a kid with his first chemistry set. The result, of course, blows up the room — but in the best possible way. For sheer entertainment value, The Anubis Gates is hard to beat."

Not that you've got any reason to trust my judgement of course ... ;)

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Oh Andrea you must! Its soo good. It reminded me a bit of shutter island. I'll probably end up reading the majority of Dicks books this year but I have a feeling that A Scanner Darkly will always be my favourite

It's now on the wish list! I loved Shutter Island so I'm looking forward to getting hold of this one. :)